Album of the day (#2878): Neon Junkies by Matti Røssland

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/31/2018 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2878): Neon Junkies by Matti Røssland
Today's album of the day

Neon Junkies by Matti Røssland (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1996.
Overall rank: 5,384
Average rating: 71/100 (from 12 votes).

Tracks:
1. Bare Kom
2. Dampvegvalsen
3. Den Siste De Finner
4. Fra Vett Og Forstand
5. Hjerta
6. Jakt
7. Neon Junkies
8. Ri På Vinden
9. Spesiell
10. Stakkars Fattig Faen

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner
soft silly music is meaningful magical

United States

• Posted: 11/01/2018 00:23
  • Post subject:
What exactly does "appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours" mean?

I figured Album of the Day selection involved tallying up points in the same way as for the overall chart, but only including member charts that were created and/or updated within the past day. But the most recent chart update involving this album was in April. So clearly I'm wrong.

Are you willing to explain it, albummaster? Or are the nitty gritty details a secret so the system can't be gamed?
  • Visit poster's website
PaperVinnie

United States

• Posted: 11/01/2018 16:48
  • Post subject:
So hey.... are we 100% sure this album exists? I can't find it on Spotify or Apple Music and when I look up "Matti Rossland albums" only two come up, one of which has the title track of this one but were released 7-8 years after this one was... can't find it anywhere on youtube either. Well if anyone finds a way to listen to this one online I'd love to hear it.
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner
soft silly music is meaningful magical

United States

• Posted: 11/01/2018 19:34
  • Post subject:
PaperVinnie wrote:
So hey.... are we 100% sure this album exists? I can't find it on Spotify or Apple Music and when I look up "Matti Rossland albums" only two come up, one of which has the title track of this one but were released 7-8 years after this one was... can't find it anywhere on youtube either. Well if anyone finds a way to listen to this one online I'd love to hear it.

It seems to exist. But the track order is different from what's listed here, and only one person has it for sale.

For the last couple years I've listened to every single album of the day, but I think I'm done. From now on, I'm only going to take it as a suggestion and listen only if I feel like it. It was a good run, but I have to admit I feel great relief to no longer have this daily commitment.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 11/01/2018 20:03
  • Post subject:
One of several albums that have suspicious patterns of chart placement indicating possible manipulation. In seven charts total, and five of those are greatest album charts from 2011 from users who never did much on this website.
PaperVinnie

United States

• Posted: 11/01/2018 20:19
  • Post subject:
Rhyner wrote:
It seems to exist. But the track order is different from what's listed here, and only one person has it for sale.

For the last couple years I've listened to every single album of the day, but I think I'm done. From now on, I'm only going to take it as a suggestion and listen only if I feel like it. It was a good run, but I have to admit I feel great relief to no longer have this daily commitment.

I saw that on discogs too, but it seems more underground than most things I've ever called underground

I'm actually trying to get back into the habit of listening to every album of the day, but it can definitely be difficult finding the time.

baystateoftheart wrote:
One of several albums that have suspicious patterns of chart placement indicating possible manipulation. In seven charts total, and five of those are greatest album charts from 2011 from users who never did much on this website.

I saw that too. Funnily enough, all but one (or two. The website seems a little confused on that.) are Top 50s too.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 11/02/2018 09:00
  • Post subject:
Rhyner wrote:
Are you willing to explain it, albummaster? Or are the nitty gritty details a secret so the system can't be gamed?

It's no secret, but the first sentence of the text is out of date and in reality the time period is a lot higher than 24 hours. All albums that are nominated are done so systematically based on their points total within the period (albums are not manually selected). It's important for variety that the nominated albums are not repeated too often, so the x day period referred to in the help text is random every day.

EDIT: This AOTD does look a bit of an oddity, so apologies for that (I'll check into IP addresses etc of chart creators).
  • Visit poster's website