Do you have a system for ranking your albums?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 11/20/2018 00:35
  • Post subject:
I score each track from 0.5 to 5.0 in increments of 0.5. Then I average the tracks, but unlike many people, I weight this average proportionally by track time. Next, I average the best 40 minutes on the album, as an assist to sprawling, ambitious albums with lots of great material. I add the two averages together, multiply by ten, and it yields a score out of 100.
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/20/2018 00:45
  • Post subject:
linusishungry wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
No

Liar

Nothing to see here... ... ... https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=15503

Wowww, this is exactly what I wanted from someone on the forums of this site. Really interested and has really inspired me. I'm going to check out a lot of your recommendations as well as those of Piero Scaruffi who I wasn't aware of. Thank you so much!

One thing I didn't quite understand is your number system for the rating of halves of albums. How did you decide that 6.8/10 = Combined total of both halves equaling 11.8, 11.9 or 12.0 for example. If you hear an album with both halves giving a 6.0 rating, does that not confuse things that the overall rating becomes 6.8? You have a criteria for each number rating, but is that the same for a half-album raring as well as an overall rating? If so, why would an album of each half both rating at 6.0 (='good') then score overall as 6.8 (=(almost)'superb/borderline extraordinary')?

You're welcome!

Good questions. Fundamentally, it works out because an increasing in quality is an accumulative phenomenon (dependant on consistency and degree over time). I figured out the numbers based on lots of listening, trial and error -- and during that, qualitative evaluation of the parts: songs, halves and full albums to figure out what combined to produce the overall ratings. I worked it out backwards from a 10. The combinative values are still subject to revision (though if so, probably very minor), but as it is now should hold up very well throughout providing one agrees with the ratings (at least generally) upon requisite assimilation. Or, even if in disagreement, providing one can at least still see the logic while one continues to work it out for oneself.

Yes, the "1/2" ratings are the same quality as in a whole album of the same rating.

Obviously all of these assertions would assume you have observed and assimilated from said album the same or very similar degree and consistency of expressed emotional content, expressed conceptual significance and creativity. They are likely to make increasing sense the more you assimilate and experience the majority or totality of works listed, which will also give you a huge amount of experience across a very wide range of Art (if you dont have this already). But that doesnt mean any of it is guaranteed of course. If you have any questions about "why I gave ______ a certain rating" I can answer that or give you some bullet points at least , time permitting (I am notoriously busy, but dont mind being asked).
  • Visit poster's website
musicoed

Russia

• Posted: 11/20/2018 09:27
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
I score each track from 0.5 to 5.0 in increments of 0.5...

It looks like an option RYM.

baystateoftheart wrote:
… Then I average the tracks,...

I also estimate the albums by averaging the sum of the ratings for the tracks.
When it all began, the main question was one.
Where to store grades so that they are always at hand.
WMP was such a place and a player at the same time.
Like 10 years ago, little has changed in his system. Ratings from 1 to 5, in increments of 1.
But WMP did not give and does not allow to calculate the arithmetic average.
This still has to be done on a calculator.
And most importantly, WMP does not allow building ratings.
Therefore, in addition, I had to attract Excel.
For example, this is how my rating looks next to an album of 11 tracks:
2,55=33323233222/11

baystateoftheart wrote:
…, but unlike many people, I weight this average proportionally by track time. …

I also took into account the duration for albums with tracks of different lengths.
For a while, I evaluated the tracks - 1, and even 0.
But then I made the discovery. Why do I need it? I do not choose the worst album!

Over time, I almost stopped to evaluate the tracks - 4 and 5.
This was the result of another discovery.
It happened after I began to determine the top 50 tracks of the year.
Then I thought about determining the list of the best tracks of all time.
5 is the maximum mark for a track.
And in each album the best track was rated - 4 or 5.
But does this mean that he automatically becomes the best in all times?

At the moment, the initial evaluation of the tracks is 2 or 3 (no or yes).
If the track occupies the top places in the list of the best in the year - 4.
And so on ... (in fact, this path is still to come d'oh! ).

For this reason, I try not to rate tracks and albums on other resources.
My grades are too low, they mess up averages.

BEA is the most advanced evaluation system I've ever met.
Here they track the year and will not allow twice to put the album in one list.
But there is no end-to-end system for albums on BEA.
1 place in the list for all times and last for its year can occupy one album.
An ideal rating system should aim at avoiding unreasonable choices.
I can only dream to:
- the calculation of the average score for the tracks occurred automatically.
- album rating was based on these average ratings for the tracks.
Then, in order to raise or lower the album in the rating I will have to change the estimates of the tracks.
Then I will be interested to rate each track on the album from the list.
And believe me I will do it. For 10 years I am already pretty tired of the calculator.
In parallel, make available the list for the best selected tracks.
And if such options are available at a certain level, then I will strive for this level.
At the moment, there are no incentives for getting additional points on the BEA.
linusishungry

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/23/2018 23:55
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Next, I average the best 40 minutes on the album, as an assist to sprawling, ambitious albums with lots of great material.

Do you take the best consecutive 40 minutes or just your favourite songs that add up to 40 mins?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2018 00:37
  • Post subject:
linusishungry wrote:
Do you take the best consecutive 40 minutes or just your favourite songs that add up to 40 mins?

It doesn’t have to be consecutive. It’s exactly 40 minutes for purposes of system consistency, so it’s taken from the best songs, and over 99% of the time that includes a fraction of a song. If an album is less than forty minutes, I simply double the first average to avoid penalizing short releases.
dholl

• Posted: 11/30/2018 23:47
  • Post subject:
I just imagine (or even test for real if I'm in the mood) how good I find the album right now. More specifically: how much I want to listen to it, how it makes me feel, how strong the best songs are, how weak the worst and generally how well it flows as a longform piece of musik. You can also imagine it as a 'desert island' test...if I can only listen to 40 albums for the rest of my life, which would they be?

That's the acid test, so no room for sentimentality. I just completed my top 40 chart and old teenage favourites which meant the world to me back then aren't strong enough any more, for they receive little airplay as their deed is done, so to speak.

Other still-favourites lost out in the chart due (also to the self-imposed one-entry-per-artist rule) to not flowing as well as other albums from the same artist. Radiohead's Amnesiac is a good example, despite housing my top 2 Radiohead songs in Pyramid Song & Like Spinning Plates it lost out to Kid A's superior flow.
  • Visit poster's website