Kali Uchis- Tyrant
70%
 70%  [14]
Total Votes : 20

Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/21/2019 10:46
  • Post subject:
Kali Uchis really found her voice on Isolation, but 'Tyrant' wouldn't have been my pick, and isn't one that I feel stands up out of context as well as, say, 'Just a Stranger' or 'Your Teeth In My Neck' or 'In My Dreams'. That Lykke Li track has some really cool textures, and it's doing more interesting things with trap snare rolls than somebody like James Blake, but as a pop song it lacks the immediacy and charm of 'Tyrant', even if it features more forward-thinking production. A vote for 'Tyrant', though either would've had my vote in a few other matches.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/21/2019 18:36
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Kali Uchis really found her voice on Isolation, but 'Tyrant' wouldn't have been my pick, and isn't one that I feel stands up out of context as well as, say, 'Just a Stranger' or 'Your Teeth In My Neck' or 'In My Dreams'. That Lykke Li track has some really cool textures, and it's doing more interesting things with trap snare rolls than somebody like James Blake, but as a pop song it lacks the immediacy and charm of 'Tyrant', even if it features more forward-thinking production. A vote for 'Tyrant', though either would've had my vote in a few other matches.

CGD wrote:
Yeah the great thing about Kali Uchis's album is you could create a wheel of all it's songs, blindfold some random participant and have them throw a dart and it would still land on a great tune. Tyrant wouldn't even be among my first four selections from Isolation (surprised didn't pick Just a Stranger), but still an excellent banger.

Completely agree! I thought I had to pick an official single and this was the one I saw on discogs. I think this tourney should represent the very best tracks from these artists and shouldn't be handicapped by me just being a blockhead. lol.

So... Let's change it to Just A Stranger. I (& my kids) love that song too.

That said. I'm pretty happy with Tyrant as well and think it's a killer track that'd I'd pick over 80% of the tracks in this tourney no problem including Deep End. Again. I could throw a dart at the track listing of this entire album including Miami & Dead To Me which haven't even been mentioned yet.
  • Visit poster's website
brun027

Brazil

• Posted: 02/21/2019 20:01
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:

That said. I'm pretty happy with Tyrant as well and think it's a killer track that'd I'd pick over 80% of the tracks in this tourney no problem including Deep End. Again. I could throw a dart at the track listing of this entire album including Miami & Dead To Me which haven't even been mentioned yet.

I agree with you, Isolation was one of my most listened 2018 albums, and it has many highlights so it's hard to pick just one. I'd have probably chosen Miami but Tyrant is also a banger. Deep End was really cool but it is Kali for me. Great match!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/22/2019 07:15
  • Post subject:
while isolation was an inconsistent album it proved Kali's growth and depth -- i love lykke li but i just gotta give it to the funky tyrant
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 02/22/2019 21:41
  • Post subject:
TYRANT THROWS 'EM OFF THE DEEP END 14-5
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 02/23/2019 17:48
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:

Can't switch it out as it's already been used, but if anybody wants to make a last second switch for a song that hasn't gone up yet Ill go ahead and allow it (once per person), mainly cuz I've already made some situational exceptions. May seem a bit like cheating but I'm all for people putting their most passionate choices in each match.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/23/2019 18:05
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Tilly wrote:

Can't switch it out as it's already been used, but if anybody wants to make a last second switch for a song that hasn't gone up yet Ill go ahead and allow it (once per person), mainly cuz I've already made some situational exceptions. May seem a bit like cheating but I'm all for people putting their most passionate choices in each match.

Ok. No worries! Was just an idea.
  • Visit poster's website