some of the biggest artists/geniuses ever have Aspergers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Some of the very biggest geniuses and best artists in our history, are those who have Aspergers syndrome.
Yes (Agree)
70%
 70%  [7]
No (Disagree)
30%
 30%  [3]
Total Votes : 10

theblueboy

• Posted: 03/25/2019 22:21
  • Post subject:
Musical giftedness is thought to be common with people with a diagnosis Autism and Asperger's. There is a likelihood that quite a number of the musicians we listen to would meet the criteria for this (or have this diagnosis). I can only think of the guy from the Vines and Ladyhawke as examples of artists who have shared this though.
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 03/27/2019 08:39
  • Post subject:
Lastings wrote:
This is kind of an odd poll. Do I agree that this list of artists are geniuses? Do I agree that they have Aspergers? Do I agree that they are both geniuses and have Aspergers? Do I agree that this is a poll? I'm not really sure how to respond here.

That's https://www.flickr.com/photos/theimpuls...6790703570

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
TimeLion

• Posted: 03/27/2019 14:38
  • Post subject:
raadfactoryxny wrote:

Thanks for the input. It seems to me that you view the Asperger diagnosis as limiting, whereas I merely view it as an explanation.

Unfortunately, behavioral science is still in a very primitive state and most diagnoses are little more than a classification based on a set of symptoms. So calling Asperger syndrome an "explanation" really stretches the meaning of that term. Even as classification goes, it's very crude.

It's not like being diagnosed with diabetes, where you know the underlying problem, the physical mechanism producing the symptoms, and the treatment. Instead, what you get is little more than a scientific-sounding name for social awkwardness. And because they don't understand the underlying mechanism that causes the problem, it could be that your set of symptoms are arising for a totally different reason than another person diagnosed with same thing.

That's not to say that the people diagnosing and treating you are quacks -- they're probably doing the best they can with the knowledge and tools that they have -- it just means that the science just isn't there yet. So until we get there, I suggest taking the "aspie" label with a very large grain of salt. If you enjoy writing songs and want to try to be the next Bob Dylan, then go for it. It really doesn't matter if he has Asperger syndrome or not. His mind works in a way that is uniquely his own and so does yours. What you're capable of can only be determined by trying.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 03/28/2019 08:36
  • Post subject:
I think that Aspergers is too easily being attached to some people.

Quote:
Eccentricity, odd behavior, reclusiveness, etc. do not always mean somebody has autism. I tend to view claims of famous artists having autism with extreme suspicion. This is because most of the people I know who are on the autism spectrum are very inflexible and struggle with change, a trait that would be damn near debilitating for an artist. The people you list are famous for thinking outside the box, and autists tend to find even brief trips outside the box excruciating.

Precicely this. Not all weird folks have Aspergers syndrome.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website