Album of the day (#3151): Bitches Brew by Miles Davis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/02/2019 00:54
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Anthony Braxton, Anthony Davis, Carla Bley, Kieth Jarrett, Cecil Taylor, Charles Mingus, McCoy Tyner, Marty Ehrlich, Sam Rivers, Marion Brown, Leo Smith, Sam Rivers, Steve Lacy, Alice Coltrane, Paul Bley, Annette Peacock, Jane Ira Bloom, Myra Melford, Ivo Perelman, Spring Heel Jack, Leroy Jenkins, Dave Holland, Borbetomagus, John Zorn, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Evan Parker, Air, Henry Threadgill, Pat Methany, Lyle Mays, London Jazz Composer's Orchestra, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Revolutionary Ensemble, Roland Kirk, Tim Berne, Bill Frisell, Marilyn Crispell, Franz Koglmann, Guillermo Gregorio, Turtle Island String Quartet, Paul Motian, Butch Morris, Matthew Shipp, Marcus Roberts, Maria Schneider, Dave Douglas, Michael Formanek, Terence Blanchard, Wynton Marsalis, Joe Maneri, Supersilent, Vijay Iyer, Brad Mehldau, Chick Corea, Lol Coxhill, Weather Report, Jean Luc Ponty, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock, Irene Schweizer, Sonny Sharrock, Don Cherry, Jeanne Lee, David Murray, George Lewis, Om, Billy Bang, Muhal Richard Abrams, Henry Kaiser, James Newton, Wayne Horvitz, and Miles Davis...

...would like a word with you.

Billy Cobham, Vijay Iyer, John Scofield, John Abercrombe, Marcus Roberts, Kenny Barron, Geri Allen, Gary Peacock, Jack DeJohnette, Pat Martino, Kamasi Washington, Jan Garbarek, Marcus Miller, Bela Fleck, Tord Gustavsen, Al DiMeola, Waddad Leo Smith....

Yep, those too. And many others! Including the ones you added that I already mentioned! Very Happy

If Kool Keith gets in on this the supply will be endless!

Down with raadfactory's comment! Flogging a dead horse

Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2019 01:25
  • Post subject:
raadfactoryxny wrote:
But in contrast to you guys, I'm not that into Jazz as much (haven't listened to many albums outside, so I most obviously could change opinion). Let alone know as much about the genre as you. I hope you don't take my opinion for granted. And I didn't really call it to a serious jazz fan

If I advice you to anything to take away from my original comment, it is a call from a guy who wants to get more into Jazz, and a serious Jazz fan must know where to go, ya know?

Hey, your original comment is just a personal opinion (as all posts in this thread are), and I appreciate what you said here.

AfterHours and Fischman named a lot of great jazz artists, though some of them aren't quite on the level of Bitches Brew (and many are). Bitches Brew isn't even my favorite Electric Miles, but it is the last jazz album that wielded so much influence and was so original. Also can't recommend Borbetomagus, Evan Parker and Braxton to neophyte jazz fans (especially Borbetomagus since I don't care for them).

Some great post-1970 jazz albums. I second the recs of Sextant, Head Hunters, Black Unity and Journey In Satchidananda and add these:

The Inner Mounting Flame - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Escalator Over the Hill - Carla Bley/Paul Haines (not for newbies)
Jack Johnson - Miles Davis
Koln Concert - Keith Jarrett
Silent Tongues - Cecil Taylor (not for newbies)
Return to Forever - Chick Corea
Science Fiction - Ornette Coleman (not for newbies)
Naked City - John Zorn (not for some newbies)
Ask the Ages - Sonny Sharrock
Urban Bushmen - Art Ensemble of Chicago
In For A Penny, In For A Pound - Henry Threadgill (his discography's consistency makes it hard to choose just one)
Even the Sounds Shine - Myra Melford
Straight Life - Freddie Hubbard
Live: Volume 1 - Woody Shaw
The Razor's Edge - Dave Holland

Last edited by PurpleHazel on 08/02/2019 06:42; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2019 02:13
  • Post subject:
This just came up on my feed. Pretty good ranking of Miles' top 20.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/...ums-ranked
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2019 06:37
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/...ums-ranked

There's 4 albums from the 80s on there! You could make the case that there should be no 80s albums on a 20-album Miles list. The only one that possibly deserves it is Aura -- an orchestral work that combines serial classical music and Gil Evans. Star People is the second best and it's not even on there. Then there are only two albums from the Second Great Quintet with Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock on there, Miles in the Sky, which is arguably the worst one, and a live box set from 1995 (which is pretty great, though not even in BEA's database). Where the hell is Miles Smiles, E.S.P. and Nefertiti -- the first two two of Miles' best albums period? Miles Ahead and Cookin' are way better than anything from the 80s. Like the inclusions of L’Ascenseur Pour L’Echafaud, Jack Johnson and On the Corner. Think The Guardian's trolling jazz fans.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 08/02/2019 09:18
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Fischman wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Anthony Braxton, Anthony Davis, Carla Bley, Kieth Jarrett, Cecil Taylor, Charles Mingus, McCoy Tyner, Marty Ehrlich, Sam Rivers, Marion Brown, Leo Smith, Sam Rivers, Steve Lacy, Alice Coltrane, Paul Bley, Annette Peacock, Jane Ira Bloom, Myra Melford, Ivo Perelman, Spring Heel Jack, Leroy Jenkins, Dave Holland, Borbetomagus, John Zorn, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Evan Parker, Air, Henry Threadgill, Pat Methany, Lyle Mays, London Jazz Composer's Orchestra, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Revolutionary Ensemble, Roland Kirk, Tim Berne, Bill Frisell, Marilyn Crispell, Franz Koglmann, Guillermo Gregorio, Turtle Island String Quartet, Paul Motian, Butch Morris, Matthew Shipp, Marcus Roberts, Maria Schneider, Dave Douglas, Michael Formanek, Terence Blanchard, Wynton Marsalis, Joe Maneri, Supersilent, Vijay Iyer, Brad Mehldau, Chick Corea, Lol Coxhill, Weather Report, Jean Luc Ponty, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock, Irene Schweizer, Sonny Sharrock, Don Cherry, Jeanne Lee, David Murray, George Lewis, Om, Billy Bang, Muhal Richard Abrams, Henry Kaiser, James Newton, Wayne Horvitz, and Miles Davis...

...would like a word with you.

Billy Cobham, Vijay Iyer, John Scofield, John Abercrombe, Marcus Roberts, Kenny Barron, Geri Allen, Gary Peacock, Jack DeJohnette, Pat Martino, Kamasi Washington, Jan Garbarek, Marcus Miller, Bela Fleck, Tord Gustavsen, Al DiMeola, Waddad Leo Smith....

Yep, those too. And many others! Including the ones you added that I already mentioned! Very Happy

If Kool Keith gets in on this the supply will be endless!

Down with raadfactory's comment! Flogging a dead horse

Laughing

1. Hoped you wouldn't take this opinion at face value. Unfortunately, that isn't the case Smile Rolling Eyes Confused

2. Albums-recommendations are pretty much the most helpful, since I don't have as much time as listening to every single LP (post-March 1970) of every single Jazz-musician you named, thinking they all would be deserving a 5/5, like Bitches Brew.

3. I welcome KKS with open arms.

4. "Down with raadfactoryxny's comment!" well good luck, I gotta whole lotta hurtful opinions up my sleeve, and I ain't done neee-hahahaha.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓

Last edited by DommeDamian on 08/02/2019 10:07; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 08/02/2019 09:29
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
raadfactoryxny wrote:
But in contrast to you guys, I'm not that into Jazz as much (haven't listened to many albums outside, so I most obviously could change opinion). Let alone know as much about the genre as you. I hope you don't take my opinion for granted. And I didn't really call it to a serious jazz fan

If I advice you to anything to take away from my original comment, it is a call from a guy who wants to get more into Jazz, and a serious Jazz fan must know where to go, ya know?

Hey, your original comment is just a personal opinion (as all posts in this thread are), and I appreciate what you said here.

AfterHours and Fischman named a lot of great jazz artists, though some of them aren't quite on the level of Bitches Brew (and many are). Bitches Brew isn't even my favorite Electric Miles, but it is the last jazz album that wielded so much influence and was so original. Also can't recommend Borbetomagus, Evan Parker and Braxton to neophyte jazz fans (especially Borbetomagus since I don't care for them).

Some great post-1970 jazz albums. I second the recs of Sextant, Head Hunters, Black Unity and Journey In Satchidananda and add these:

The Inner Mounting Flame - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Escalator Over the Hill - Carla Bley/Paul Haines (not for newbies)
Jack Johnson - Miles Davis
Koln Concert - Keith Jarrett
Silent Tongues - Cecil Taylor (not for newbies)
Return to Forever - Chick Corea
Science Fiction - Ornette Coleman (not for newbies)
Naked City - John Zorn (not for some newbies)
Ask the Ages - Sonny Sharrock
Urban Bushmen - Art Ensemble of Chicago
In For A Penny, In For A Pound - Henry Threadgill (his discography's consistency makes it hard to choose just one)
Even the Sounds Shine - Myra Melford
Straight Life - Freddie Hubbard
Live: Volume 1 - Woody Shaw
The Razor's Edge - Dave Holland

Think Very Happy Thank you Dancing

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/02/2019 11:58
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Graeme2 wrote:
raadfactoryxny wrote:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Tw o albums. Oops!

My (stupid) bad (move), unfortunately, I haven't heard Universal Consciousness, so I'm gonna hear it in a little while Laughing
Along with the other albums, 'cause they're good.

Good point of view. But in contrast to you guys, I'm not that into Jazz as much (haven't listened to many albums outside, so I most obviously could change opinion). Let alone know as much about the genre as you. I hope you don't take my opinion for granted. And I didn't really call it to a serious jazz fan, I stated it on the "Album of the day" post of the site.
Oh and I mistaked Sextant with Head Hunters. That means I haven't heard Sextant either. Sorry. If you have more recommendations, please feel free to share Very Happy !
Until then, what makes these records stand up as great as the amusement, experimentation, grandiosity of the album whose post we're discussing under rn??

Head hunters, sextant and thrust are all wonderful.

Gotta' add Crossings and Mwandishi to that list. Herbie really went on a tear there for a while.

Definitely. The three I quoted are possibly the most listened to jazz records I have. Unfortunately I don't know those two as well but they are great. Can't go too far wrong with most of his discography. Hell, he even made a classic electro track and some quality jazz funk after the head hunters period.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2019 13:52
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
Fischman wrote:
Graeme2 wrote:
raadfactoryxny wrote:
[quote ="PurpleHazel"]Tw o albums. Oops!

My (stupid) bad (move), unfortunately, I haven't heard Universal Consciousness, so I'm gonna hear it in a little while Laughing
Along with the other albums, 'cause they're good.

Good point of view. But in contrast to you guys, I'm not that into Jazz as much (haven't listened to many albums outside, so I most obviously could change opinion). Let alone know as much about the genre as you. I hope you don't take my opinion for granted. And I didn't really call it to a serious jazz fan, I stated it on the "Album of the day" post of the site.
Oh and I mistaked Sextant with Head Hunters. That means I haven't heard Sextant either. Sorry. If you have more recommendations, please feel free to share Very Happy !
Until then, what makes these records stand up as great as the amusement, experimentation, grandiosity of the album whose post we're discussing under rn??

Head hunters, sextant and thrust are all wonderful.

Gotta' add Crossings and Mwandishi to that list. Herbie really went on a tear there for a while.

Definitely. The three I quoted are possibly the most listened to jazz records I have. Unfortunately I don't know those two as well but they are great. Can't go too far wrong with most of his discography. Hell, he even made a classic electro track and some quality jazz funk after the head hunters period.[/quote]

His electro period is more of a mixed bag. Future shock is very good, Sound System is also good, but Perfect Machine... not so good.
  • Visit poster's website