Album of the day (#3181): The Smile Sessions

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2019 01:59
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
I put this in controversial music opinions when I realized I meant to put it here.

I'd have to agree with Brian Wilson... As much as I dig Smile (like I really do).

Quote:
Wilson told a Rolling Stone interviewer in 1987 that when he started Smile, he was "trying to beat" the Beatles; when asked whether Smile would have topped his rivals' subsequent release, Wilson replied: "No. It wouldn't have come close. Sgt. Pepper would have kicked our ass."

Brian Wilson was just being modest. The Smile Sessions and Sgt Pepper are certainly close. And Pet Sounds is better than anything The Beatles ever did.
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2019 02:27
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
I put this in controversial music opinions when I realized I meant to put it here.

I'd have to agree with Brian Wilson... As much as I dig Smile (like I really do).

Quote:
Wilson told a Rolling Stone interviewer in 1987 that when he started Smile, he was "trying to beat" the Beatles; when asked whether Smile would have topped his rivals' subsequent release, Wilson replied: "No. It wouldn't have come close. Sgt. Pepper would have kicked our ass."

Brian Wilson was just being modest. The Smile Sessions and Sgt Pepper are certainly close. And Pet Sounds is better than anything The Beatles ever did.

Counterpoint: they're not close. Even as an unfinished work, Smile is far better than Sgt. Pepper.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2019 03:08
  • Post subject:
I half put that quote there just to tease because I know it'd trigger some here who think Beatles are subpar commercial garbage (and are objectively wrong in the words of Skinny (well the objectively wrong bit)).

I personally (and clearly according to my chart) disagree. But really if Sgt. Pepper is a 100, the Smile project still gets a 90-95 from me (pending on the iteration, etc.), so really I'm like debating which A student is the best... (for me at least).

As far as the quote goes I wish I had some context of what was meant. Beat the Beatles at what? Kicked their ass at what? I mean from his perspective.

As to the modest argument, I really do think Beach Boys and Beatles saw each other as equal rivals. Well I should say Paul and Brian did. And with that I'd have to agree.
  • Visit poster's website
SleepDealer

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/03/2019 08:03
  • Post subject:
I also prefer Brian Wilson's 2004 version. Although his voice is going, the album is far more cohesive and has an energy and vitality missing from the original recordings (IMO).
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 09/04/2019 09:50
  • Post subject:
Must admit, I haven't heard this. But I love, love, love Brian's solo version. It's one of my favourite albums of all time, and I do believe that it trumps Pepper, or would have had it been released at that time. The only knock against it is it sounds a anachronistic for an album released in 2004 and as mentioned, the vocals aren't as good as they would have been with the Boys in their prime.

I will have to give this one a listen, though I'm a bit sceptical about the "sessions" label. I'm worried it won't be as cohesive. But I can't pass up the opportunity to hear these songs with all the Beach Boys on vocals, in their prime. Such delightfully weird music, Smile is a masterpiece.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2019 16:42
  • Post subject:
indieshins wrote:
Must admit, I haven't heard this. But I love, love, love Brian's solo version. It's one of my favourite albums of all time, and I do believe that it trumps Pepper, or would have had it been released at that time. The only knock against it is it sounds a anachronistic for an album released in 2004 and as mentioned, the vocals aren't as good as they would have been with the Boys in their prime.

I will have to give this one a listen, though I'm a bit sceptical about the "sessions" label. I'm worried it won't be as cohesive. But I can't pass up the opportunity to hear these songs with all the Beach Boys on vocals, in their prime. Such delightfully weird music, Smile is a masterpiece.

Don't be concerned about the 'sessions' aspect. All the tracks are there and have high production value. Listen to it, today if you have time. If not, tomorrow.

@RoundTheBend, regarding Wilson's quote in the 80s, I can't take it seriously. That was his period of mental illness and 24/7 drug medication from Dr. Landy.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2019 05:03
  • Post subject:
That's fair. I mean it's not really the most convincing quote anyway. It's missing some context. Also when did Landy stuff stop?

Anyway, Paul McCartney was there when Brian did his release party/full live production for Smile. And there's been a long history of musical admiration on both sides. Again, two "a" students of music, even if I find Sgt Pepper a step above anything the beach boys did. Revolver actually is on par with beach boys material, but I'd take Sgt Pepper, white album, magical mystery tour and Abbey Road over any Beach Boys record. Revolver and earlier, it's 6's for me.
  • Visit poster's website