Moderating albums is kind of fun

View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2020 23:03
  • Post subject: Moderating albums is kind of fun
I know I've only been here a couple of days, but I think I'm getting the hang of moderating albums. It's surprisingly easy. I've found a couple that I may or may not check out later, so it's a good way to get suggestions. And to look for details concerning the albums gives me something to do. And there's a part of me that gets irritated when details are missing from a website and no one bothers to fix it. Today I found a duplicate Rhapsody album under the Rhapsody of Fire name. But teah, it makes for a good way to pass time when there's no activity on the forums.
Trendall

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/05/2020 23:07
  • Post subject:
Whenever I update my chart I'm always aware that I'm gonna be putting on there a few albums that aren't on the website, and I always dread updating all the data, but to be honest it is always a lot easier than I'm imagining it to be. This website's pretty useable really.

Edit: Have you ever tried updating something on rateyourmusic? It's unbearable, if you just wanna upload an album artwork or something, it sits in some queue for absolutely months and then you'll get some rude message from a moderator complaining if you then don't reply to their response within two days and your upload gets deleted and you have to reupload, go to the back of the queue. Their whole system is an absolute monument to sheer human incompetence.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2020 23:22
  • Post subject: Re: Moderating albums is kind of fun
Spyglass wrote:
I know I've only been here a couple of days, but I think I'm getting the hang of moderating albums. It's surprisingly easy. I've found a couple that I may or may not check out later, so it's a good way to get suggestions. And to look for details concerning the albums gives me something to do. And there's a part of me that gets irritated when details are missing from a website and no one bothers to fix it. Today I found a duplicate Rhapsody album under the Rhapsody of Fire name. But teah, it makes for a good way to pass time when there's no activity on the forums.

Heck yeah! I love doing moderating! There is ALWAYS stuff to do there. For me, it helps me to keep skills that I no longer use for work sharp. And, yeah...you get to dig into all kinds of albums you would have never even though of. I wish more people thought about this the way you do.

Plus...you'll get all the points you need in no time.

Tear it up, brother! And if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2020 23:35
  • Post subject:
Trendall wrote:
Whenever I update my chart I'm always aware that I'm gonna be putting on there a few albums that aren't on the website, and I always dread updating all the data, but to be honest it is always a lot easier than I'm imagining it to be. This website's pretty useable really.

Edit: Have you ever tried updating something on rateyourmusic? It's unbearable, if you just wanna upload an album artwork or something, it sits in some queue for absolutely months and then you'll get some rude message from a moderator complaining if you then don't reply to their response within two days and your upload gets deleted and you have to reupload, go to the back of the queue. Their whole system is an absolute monument to sheer human incompetence.

I guess I made the right choice. I only use Rateyourmusic for the charts but I never got an account because I wasn't interested in forums at the time. When this COVID-19 pandemic started, I decided it might be healthy for me to get away from the buzz, and I go to RYM and see all these threads on COVID-19, so I went somewhere else.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2020 23:38
  • Post subject:
Yeah for me, it took a bit to learn moderation. But while there could be a few hitches, mainly the jpeg for the album cover. I got used to this. Hell I updated an album that didn't have it's info and is now completed.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2020 23:47
Romanelli wrote:
Heck yeah! I love doing moderating! There is ALWAYS stuff to do there. For me, it helps me to keep skills that I no longer use for work sharp. And, yeah...you get to dig into all kinds of albums you would have never even though of. I wish more people thought about this the way you do.

Actually, I do have a quesyion about you personally. You say you used to use these skills for work. What did you do, if you don't mind the question?
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2020 23:51
Spyglass wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

Actually, I do have a quesyion about you personally. You say you used to use these skills for work. What did you do, if you don't mind the question?

I did a lot of data entry, which is mostly what data mod is. But also a lot of internet searching and sometimes using creative thinking to find what you need. It's not exactly what I did, but it does utilize some skills that I fear would otherwise go stale.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2020 00:06
  • Post subject:
I always wondered what a career in data mining would be like. I never had the interest in following it but still.

Seeing these incomplete discographies gives me something to look forward to. Does anybody know Stormwarrior? Viking speed power fucking metal, and once I can make a power metal chart (or a chart of the most badass bands on Earth), the whole discography's going up there.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2020 04:08
  • Post subject:
I'm working on my 2010's chart, and I add this rare live Rich Kids On LSD album I found on Youtube. When I look up the tracklist, it turns out there's a SECOND DISC. I never heard it, so I just added a much bigger album than I thought I would, and now I'm listening to the second half.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cek4wA7cjpM

Btw, can I link videos to appear on the thread?