logout / login

View previous topic :: View next topic
wooolf

Belgium

• Posted: 05/20/2020 08:11
  • Post subject: logout / login
Hello!

First of all, great work on the site update!

I have a small issue with the automatic logout function:
-I come to the site for a quick album lookup
-It looks like I'm logged in, so I enter a search term
-After clicking the search result, I get the login screen, as I seem to be logged out (time out function?)
-After logging in, I land at the home page and have to start over with the search.
(these are a lot of steps for a quick lookup..)

Possible suggestions:
-after login: redirect to the page that was requested before the login screen was shown.
-login timeout: maybe a periodical check that updates the page if you get logged out, so you know you have to log in again before continuing..

(I'll probably have to allow cookies to stay logged in. There is a similar topic called 'Login when following link' but this is from 2012. I haven't had this issue before, so it might be back since a few months..)

Love BEA!
grtz
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/20/2020 08:50
  • Post subject: Re: logout / login
Thanks for feedback and sorry about issue. Are you referring to searching from the site masthead, from the forums, or from the advanced search page? Not sure why you'd encounter a login screen after a search so that sounds a bit weird (I think forum search is the only one that requires you to be logged in).

I'll check into issue with login redirect (which I think is a separate issue) as encountered a similar issue myself a couple of days back but was too busy with day job to fix it. If I get time today, I'll definitely try and squeeze it in.

(Regards your last point, the 'login state' relies on cookies, so if these are disabled then the site simply won't work as expected. If you check 'remember me' you should stay logged in so long as BEA cookies aren't cleared in-between visits).
  • Visit poster's website
wooolf

Belgium

• Posted: 05/20/2020 10:32
  • Post subject:
Thanks for your quick reaction.

I tried to reproduce it just now, and it doesn't happen if I manually log out.
It's about the main search box in upper right corner of the home page.
Maybe it happens only when you have an open tab where you were logged in, then after a time, you go back to the tab, the site has you logged out but the page wasn't updated. Then it redirects you to the main page + login after 'discovering' the user was timed out.

When I deactivate the 'Ghostery' plugin, everything seems to work. But it shows like it's just blocking Google statistics trackers and things like that..
(tracker categories: Advertising, Geotrust and Analytics)

Best
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/20/2020 10:57
  • Post subject:
Hi, thanks for clarifying. Glad you enjoy the site despite those issues. Overlooked that people browse with different tabs open and it's possible if you log in to BEA on one tab, that the other tab(s) won't get updated until you refresh or navigate to a different page on the other tabs. Revenue from banner ads is BEA's only source of revenue and helps to pay the hosting fees (I certainly can't sponsor those myself as they are too expensive). We don't block visitors with ad blockers enabled (like some other sites), however the site isn't tested against any ad blocking service and will work the best without them running.
  • Visit poster's website
wooolf

Belgium

• Posted: 05/20/2020 13:47
  • Post subject:
Just to clarify, it also happens with only 1 BEA (firefox) tab open. (but lots of other sites in tabs ; )
I'll certainly whitelist BEA as soon as I can reproduce with the blocker and maybe add some more info.

Have a great day and thanks again!