Star Trek

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2020 05:59
  • Post subject:
1-14: Too Short a Season - The Enterprise brings an old admiral to another planet to meet an old friend and settle a hostage situation. But for some reason, the Admiral's quickly reversing age.

I liked the basic plot enough. There was enough activity in it to drive through 40 minutes and bring in some good plot twists. The admiral's character had a small spark that helped ignite said plot twists in a fashionable way. But the plotline didn't explore the differences between age and youth as well as a Star Trek episode should do.

1-15: When the Bough Breaks - when a mythical planet reveals itself to the Enterptise, it tries to negotiate an exchange for some children because they can't reproduce. When they kidnap Wesley and other kids, Picard will stop at nothing to bring them back.

Deep Throat from X-Files plays the leader of the Aldeans. And I loved his acting and hated the character he played. The pompous grin and i'm-right attitude bellowed "GOD COMPLEX," although that was more because of his planet's technology. The scenes involving the kidnapped children were incredibly sweet and sympathetic, and I love how the episode ended.

1-16: Home Soil - When visiting a terraforming planet, the crew sees one of the residents killed, likely because of a precious and microscopic non-organic thing which might be alive.

This is Star Trek perfection. The exploration of life in its many forms, the plot twists, and the threat level posed by the would-be villains maje a perfect 80's transition of the spirit of the 60's original series. It was like watching a season 3 or 5 episode. Data's character has been practically perfected as ge now relies on his android strengths instead of campy robot humor.

1-17: Coming of Age - While Wesley Crusher takes the Starfleet Academy entrance exam, Picard must deal with a snooty inspector who's been ordered to examine the Enterprise.

This episode was not very plot heavy. It's not an average Star Trek story. The entrance exam scwnes were perfectly fine since I don't expect Wesley to be involved in a lot action in the early seasons. But the scenes involving the investigation were only interesting enough for a while, and they didn't lead to a great climax like the Wesley plot did.

----------

Star Trek TNG has definitely improved since the first few episodes. The grip on the Star Trek approach has become much stronger and the overall universe is slowly evolving from simple aliens that look like humans to real and unique species which actually manipulate the world around them.