Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2020 18:09
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I enjoyed it. Tonally, it feels like a gentle spoof of the Burton Batman films. I never considered it a 'bad' film, either deliberately or otherwise.

Glad you enjoyed it!

I guess I took the "making of" from Mystery Men too seriously when they talked about it being a spoof/mockery, etc. - nothing but a fun/silly movie.

I guess "bad" and "terrible" are so subjective we already have 73 interpretations of my statement.

I mean Batman is at least a "real" superhero. I wouldn't call Greg's character a real super hero. A real superhero with a suite that looks like a nascar driver with endorsements... how is that not more than a gentle spoof? That's hysterically in your face spoofing/making fun of super hero shiz.

Anyway it's a moot point.

I'm wrong.

Yes, I'm the guy on the internet that usually is wrong and you have to make sure to tell me.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2020 18:18
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Zardoz

(Unless Love Exposure fits this category ... Or perhaps Holy Mountain)

Here are two reviews for Zardoz from Letterboxd. Yes, they are each reviewing the same film:

From DirkH:
"The squirrels outside my door demand acorns for their tea and crumpets in order for them to instigate their upcoming revolutionary approach on quantum physics. I tried to find them but the phone spoke to me, so I had to lubricate the ironing board with butter, or margarine, whichever the dandelions prefer. Speaking of kettle drums, how is a magpie not a pebble? Do they not both gyrate within the vortex that is the limbo of your libido? In other words, a salami will never, ever be considered a car unless the dictionaries suffer from generic memory loss, which will never happen on account of the beavers. I do have problems deciphering the different axioms of Cheddar that are currently residing in my crawl space, as the unstrung physique of my neighbour's reanimated parakeet distracts me. There is so much more to learn about the wanton incursions of the toothpaste in China, but there is no more time as the dishwasher is gyrating and the turtles are playing.
Alas, no more."

From Eli Hayes:
"A deeply misunderstood, dreamlike, surrealist satire on religious, dystopian, and destruction-of-society/structure-within-society/inception-of-society themes with transfixing, almost-Herzogian cinematography and an astounding, impressionistic production design; it's time for everyone to buck up and admit that Zardoz is indeed a very good film, possibly even one of Boorman's finest."

Laughing

Adding to my watch list.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/09/2020 21:16
  • Post subject:

Seeing classically trained actors like Sean Connery and Charlotte Rampling stumble through Boorman's surrealist science fiction satire is well worth the price of admission. Connery would end up in some clumsy intended-as-satire films in his post-Bond period and I honestly really do enjoy the movie. I need to rewatch Zardoz because while it is imperfect, it's honestly entertaining and interesting at the same time.
  • Visit poster's website