Era's of bands/artists that are underrated?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/12/2020 22:09
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:

Aerosmith, 1989-97

Kudos. I'd go 87-97. Really fun stretch of albums that was basically my gateway to becoming a music fan. I didn't earn too many cool points with alt.rock purists in school, but I didn't care and loved those albums so much at the time. I recently revisited and they still sound really good.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2020 17:34
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Aerosmith, 1989-97

Kudos. I'd go 87-97. Really fun stretch of albums that was basically my gateway to becoming a music fan. I didn't earn too many cool points with alt.rock purists in school, but I didn't care and loved those albums so much at the time. I recently revisited and they still sound really good.
For sure. Permanent Vacation was the start of Aerosmith's renaissance with those legendary singles but I find the album to be a mixed bag overall with many forgettable album cuts. However, that trio of albums consisting of Pump, Get a Grip, and Nine Lives...terribly underrated on this site. I'll take those three albums over mid-70s Aerosmith 9 times out of 10. On a side note, cool points and alt-rock purists, I recall the struggle. Although when I was in school, Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park were the gateway to cool points and we see how well that turned out.
  • Visit poster's website
ExTeaSea

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2020 15:29
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
ExTeaSea wrote:
Jeff Beck is underrated in general and especially four of his later albums in a row which include:

"Who Else!" 1999
"You Had It Coming" 2001
"Jeff" 2003

"Emotion and Commotion" 2010

This is easily his best era.

I totally agree! The addition of electronic music just fits his style perfectly IMO. Plus with less singing/other instruments it just makes his stellar guitar sound stick out more. I actually consider his late 70s fusion era overrated, still like it though.

"Who Else!" is my very favorite Jeff Beck album.
  • Visit poster's website
ExTeaSea

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2020 15:34
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
For sure. Permanent Vacation was the start of Aerosmith's renaissance with those legendary singles but I find the album to be a mixed bag overall with many forgettable album cuts. However, that trio of albums consisting of Pump, Get a Grip, and Nine Lives...terribly underrated on this site. I'll take those three albums over mid-70s Aerosmith 9 times out of 10. On a side note, cool points and alt-rock purists, I recall the struggle. Although when I was in school, Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park were the gateway to cool points and we see how well that turned out.[/quote]

I've been meaning to fully check out and appreciate those Aerosmith albums. Aerosmith is one of the few classic rock acts that were able to come back and reinvent themselves and still be cool and popular.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 08/17/2020 07:46
  • Post subject:
Glad someone mentioned Aerosmith's comeback period, I've always enjoyed it far more than their classic 70's period. I even stopped listening to them for a while since I never really got into their early albums and kind of dismissed those later albums because they had the reputation of being commercial sell out albums. Glad that didn't last forever.
Now I'm gonna listen to those four 1987-1997 albums.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website