A serious discussion about books and such

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2020 19:09
  • Post subject:
My favorites based on what little I've read of the modern age would be Crichton and Puzo (Jurassic Park is superior to the film but The Godfather is inferior), but I'm mostly a Verne fan.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/23/2020 00:15
  • Post subject:
cestuneblague wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
I was a German Lit. major and this was more or less the reading list.

There are English translations online for free if interested: Those in bold were my favorite

Early German:
Walter von der Vogelweide: Select Minnesang (Under der linden)
Johannes von Tepl: Der Ackermann
Martin Luther: Von der Freiheit eines Christenmenschen & Sendbrief vom Dolmetschen

Lessing: Hamburgische Dramaturgie Nr. 14 Lessing
Lessing: Hamburgische Dramaturgie, Nr. 46 Lessing
Lessing: Nathan der Weise
Schiller: Die Schaubühne als moralische Anstalt
Schiller: Briefe über die ästhetische Erziehung des Menschen, Briefe 1 – 6
Goethe: Die Leiden des jungen Werthers
Loest: Nikolaikirche
Williamson: The Longing for Myth in Germany (this is in English, so of course, but key to understanding German culture pre-1900.
Goethe: Gedichte
Brecht: Die Dreigroschenoper
Christa Wolf: Was belibt
Brecht: Der gute Mensch von Seszuan
Brecht: Die unwürdige Greisin
M. v. Ebner-Eschenbach: Das Gemeindekind
May Ayim: Nacht Gesang
Bettine von Arnim and Gisela von Arnim Grimm: Das Leben der Hochgräfin Gritta von Rattenzuhausbeiuns
Wolfgang Borchert: Nachts schlafen die Ratten doch

These are good recs, where would be a good starting point if you want to read it in the original german but are only intermediate level?

Anyways I got some Camus & The Charterhouse of Parma I'm attempting to read in the original french, and some nice modern fantasy and books on 15th century medieval politics, so plenty filled up for the time being.

Sorry I totally missed your comment here.

Anyway, intermediate level German - I found poetry the easiest to understand (less words). At least until they started using old words. May Ayim: Nacht Gesang is a good place to start there - not only powerful poetry but modern/easy to understand.

Der Ackermann I remember being easier to understand because it was conversational. Often a discussion with Death.

Likely the most read german lit book that's also pretty easy to understand (supposedly Napoleon read it constantly and kept a copy on him) is Die Leiden des jungen Werthers.

Loest's Nikolaikirche is more modern, so that might be helpful.

Also a few things up there are like letters. Easier to read because of that, but it's philosophy, so not always easy to wrap your head around in any language. It almost reminds me of Monty Python's Holy Hand Grenade scene... Laughing

Also if you can read any Kant in German, you are no longer Intermediate. Here's an example in English to see what I mean:
Quote:
In all judgements wherein the relation of a subject to the predicate is cogitated (I mention affirmative judgements only here; the application to negative will be very easy), this relation is possible in two different ways. Either the predicate B belongs to the subject A, as somewhat which is contained (though covertly) in the conception A; or the predicate B lies completely out of the conception A, although it stands in connection with it. In the first instance, I term the judgement analytical, in the second, synthetical. Analytical judgements (affirmative) are therefore those in which the connection of the predicate with the subject is cogitated through identity; those in which this connection is cogitated without identity, are called synthetical judgements. The former may be called explicative, the latter augmentative judgements; because the former add in the predicate nothing to the conception of the subject, but only analyse it into its constituent conceptions, which were thought already in the subject, although in a confused manner; the latter add to our conceptions of the subject a predicate which was not contained in it, and which no analysis could ever have discovered therein. For example, when I say, “All bodies are extended,” this is an analytical judgement. For I need not go beyond the conception of body in order to find extension connected with it, but merely analyse the conception, that is, become conscious of the manifold properties which I think in that conception, in order to discover this predicate in it: it is therefore an analytical judgement. On the other hand, when I say, “All bodies are heavy,” the predicate is something totally different from that which I think in the mere conception of a body. By the addition of such a predicate, therefore, it becomes a synthetical judgement.

Kind of talking about my "signature", although technically from Hegel.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/23/2020 00:20
  • Post subject:
Also, not a book, but I find Wikipedia a great place to brush up on comprehension skills in German. It's not helpful for idiomatic phrases, etc. you find in poetry or fiction.
  • Visit poster's website
NewsFromHome

• Posted: 08/26/2020 23:48
  • Post subject:
Going through Mason & Dixon to try and get a hold of my door stopper pile. Always amazed by how Pynchon subverts expectations. For instance all of the stuff in St. Helena. What starts like the plot of some bizarre and reprehensible harem anime zooms back camera Jodorowsky style to critique institutionalized racism and lay bare flaws in the founding of America. Then of course classic Pynchon. A long explanation of astronomical equations to be punctuated by an dick joke. Pynchon names too Jet Vroom, Rev. Cherrycoke, Police Official Bonk, etc.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/27/2020 00:36
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
As well as HP.

Also if you are a 15 year old male (or still act like one), you must read the catcher in the rye.

So no age limit for Harry Potter, but you have to have the maturity level of 15-year-old male for Catcher in the Rye? Wink

Catcher in the Rye's great at expressing dissatisfaction with society and humanity. Guess that makes it more timely than ever.

Yeah I guess there's a bit of ageism there from my side. Sorry, not intended. I just remember it resonating with me a lot at 15 or something. I haven't read it again... maybe I should. I just remember him being young, so catharsis and al (identifying stronger cuz I was about his age).

And yeah - HP imo is a bit more timeless actually because it's a lot deeper philosophically/culturally, etc. than what's at the surface. (please read that as I was 15 with the catcher in the rye... it could just as well be as deep).
  • Visit poster's website