Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 10/07/2020 02:48
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Not near the top of my Zep heap, but still a great album. The Crunge and D'yer Mak'er help keep it from rising to the level of II - IV.

Lots of great material though. The Ocean is one of my faves.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite song on this one but it might be "The Ocean." This is y third favorite Zeppelin album as is currently my #100. What I love about it is that it marks the true point where Zeppelin's attempts at branching out were practically perfected. I guess that's why Physical Graffiti ended up as a double album. I think Sandinista might share the same story since The Clash are known for punk innovation.
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/08/2020 07:24
  • Post subject:
Definitely a strong album.
I like Heart's version of The Rain Song.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 10/09/2020 00:49
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
Fischman wrote:
Not near the top of my Zep heap, but still a great album. The Crunge and D'yer Mak'er help keep it from rising to the level of II - IV.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite song on this one but it might be "The Ocean." This is y third favorite Zeppelin album as is currently my #100. What I love about it is that it marks the true point where Zeppelin's attempts at branching out were practically perfected. I guess that's why Physical Graffiti ended up as a double album. I think Sandinista might share the same story since The Clash are known for punk innovation.

Physical Graffiti ended up as a double album because half of it was outtakes from previous albums...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 10/09/2020 01:26
  • Post subject:
Either this or LZIII is my favorite album of theirs. Unfortunate album cover.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 10/09/2020 01:36
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Spyglass wrote:
Fischman wrote:

Physical Graffiti ended up as a double album because half of it was outtakes from previous albums...

True, but the total length of those outtakes was just over one side of a vinyl LP. Eight of the songs made up a large length on their own, over 50 minutes to be exact. 52 minutes of varying sides of Zeppelin is a lot. Had they ever released anything like "Kashmir" before then? But I think they should have just released seven of those eight new tracks and collected the reject with the other rejects on a separate release. Though I doubt I'm the only one here to believe so.
Daydreamer

• Posted: 10/11/2020 10:10
  • Post subject:
Quite possibly my favourite LZ album. This is where they're artistic growth and diversity is at its peak. As someone else said, The Rain Song and No Quarter are both among the top 5 songs they've ever made, both of those transcend the typical blues rock and hard rock sound. The Song Remains The Same has some fantastic guitar work and is also top tier Zep. Over The Hills is excellent but not quite on the level as those previously mentioned.
The Crunge is bad sure, but it's hardly much worse than some other filler on their other albums.

I've never been to fond of The Ocean, yet the people seem to just love it. I don't know, it's a decent song but it never struck me as anything special.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
911Turbo

Canada

• Posted: 10/12/2020 21:39
  • Post subject:
put yourself in their shoes.
you just released the most incredible rock album of all time, "Untitled" and now, you have to come up
with the next album.

Houses of the Holy is a satisfying and ambitious follow-up.
"over the hills and far away" & "dancing days" are elegantly played.
while the james brown tribute "the crunge" and the reggae attempt "Dyer maker" show case the bands reach.
Technically, this album has everything you need and still has the essential magic of led zeppelin that
isn't found on their later albums.

Listening to Zeppelin albums now; i realize how complex, subtle, vision, distinctive their music sounds.
no one has the skills or ability to even copy them.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 10/12/2020 21:58
  • Post subject:
911Turbo wrote:
put yourself in their shoes.
you just released the most incredible rock album of all time, "Untitled" and now, you have to come up
with the next album.

Houses of the Holy is a satisfying and ambitious follow-up.
"over the hills and far away" & "dancing days" are elegantly played.
while the james brown tribute "the crunge" and the reggae attempt "Dyer maker" show case the bands reach.
Technically, this album has everything you need and still has the essential magic of led zeppelin that
isn't found on their later albums.

Listening to Zeppelin albums now; i realize how complex, subtle, vision, distinctive their music sounds.
no one has the skills or ability to even copy them.

Well spoken. IMO all of their first five albums (and BBC Sessions) are flawless. Physical Graffiti is fantastic but it's bloated.
911Turbo

Canada

• Posted: 10/14/2020 01:30
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:

Well spoken. IMO all of their first five albums (and BBC Sessions) are flawless. Physical Graffiti is fantastic but it's bloated.

Perhaps physical graffiti reaches too far?

"custard pie" and "houses of the holy" represent advances.

the only big, debatable flaw was, "in my time of dying" should have been shelved-
1 resounding ten minute epic per album is plenty! Kashmir achieves its mesmerizing effect without losing the beat.
for me, that was the only mistake.

Truthfully, i love all it even though Graffiti drags a bit
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 10/14/2020 03:00
  • Post subject:
I guess I’ll be the first to say that “The Song Remains the Same” is by far the best song on this album. That sparkling, dazzling countrified folk style guitar that Page plays is incredible...euphoric to me...and I don’t think I can name another song in the world that reminds me of it. I’d say it’s the only song on the level of the ZOSO material, especially in terms of the production and Plant’s delivery. He doesn’t give another vocal performance even half as powerful on the rest of the album.

And thank you for releasing a mix of “The Rain Song” sans piano, it was distracting and added nothing to the song.