Overlooked "dream pop/synth wave" artists?

View previous topic :: View next topic
ExTeaSea

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2020 15:10
  • Post subject: Overlooked "dream pop/synth wave" artists?
Many of my favorite modern artists are considered "dream pop and or synth wave". I absolutely love the sound/genres.

Here's some underappreciated artists:

Phantogram
Poliça
Little Dragon
Ladytron
Purity Ring
Jay Som

The Dø (recently found them and love them)
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 10/16/2020 15:16
  • Post subject:
Not necessarily overlooked, but Majical Cloudz have some gems and might fit the bill. Major Blue Nile influence is obvious.
NewsFromHome

• Posted: 10/16/2020 20:11
  • Post subject:
Yeah I've been pretty obsessed with Majical Cloudz since being really exposed to them this tournament running in games. Not sure half of the bands ya listed are overlooked. 'Specially Phantogram with that national car commercial really thrusting them into the mainstream indie spotlight half a decade ago. Jay Som really struck me when they first appeared on the scene (Lipstick Stains recorded entirely in a bedroom mainly on midi is insane when you consider how lush the orchestra on that sounds) but they've become a little more competent/a little less interesting to me on Anak Ko, beautiful cover art though.

Hope in a Darkened Heart by Virginia Astley is pretty underrated to me. One of the greatest records Ryuichi Sakamoto ever lended his hands too which is saying something. Big ups to Suedeswede for recommending that to me.

Robert Wratten's post field mice project, Northern Picture Library is super underrated too.
ExTeaSea

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2020 23:42
  • Post subject:
NewsFromHome wrote:
Yeah I've been pretty obsessed with Majical Cloudz since being really exposed to them this tournament running in games. Not sure half of the bands ya listed are overlooked. 'Specially Phantogram with that national car commercial really thrusting them into the mainstream indie spotlight half a decade ago. Jay Som really struck me when they first appeared on the scene (Lipstick Stains recorded entirely in a bedroom mainly on midi is insane when you consider how lush the orchestra on that sounds) but they've become a little more competent/a little less interesting to me on Anak Ko, beautiful cover art though.

Hope in a Darkened Heart by Virginia Astley is pretty underrated to me. One of the greatest records Ryuichi Sakamoto ever lended his hands too which is saying something. Big ups to Suedeswede for recommending that to me.

Robert Wratten's post field mice project, Northern Picture Library is super underrated too.

Phantogram and the others just aren't rated highly on this site is what I was going by. They all seem to have a pretty good sized fan base outside of BEA.
  • Visit poster's website
NewsFromHome

• Posted: 10/20/2020 18:57
  • Post subject:
More noise pop than dream pop but this is some great japanese self loathing. A good reminder of how vocal processing is such a good world builder.

Tsumanne by 神聖かまってちゃん...mattechan]
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2020 19:19
  • Post subject:
I'd vouch for these—

Psychopomp by Japanese Breakfast

Sugar & Spice by Hatchie

Cut The World by Moscow Olympics

Five Roses by Miracle Fortress

and Salami Rose Joe Louis - Son of a Sauce! (which isn't on the site... might add that)

Broadcast, The Radio Dept, maybe some Stina Nordenstam. Chromatics too. Johnny Jewel and Saoirse Ronan have a great track from a couple years ago—

Link

Not obscure picks or anything, but just general recs. Look at Japan/Singapore for stuff. Macaroom, For Tracy Hyde, My Little Airport, Sharesprings, Spangle Call Lilli Line etc...
  • Visit poster's website
NewsFromHome

• Posted: 10/20/2020 19:22
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Broadcast,

legitimately the greatest band of all time. Can vouch for most of these though Hatchie doesn't do much for me. Enjoyed it when it came out though.