Best Films of The Decade (2010-2019)[LIST]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/19/2020 17:02
  • Post subject:

Just got around to watching the B&W version of Parasite.

It's better in colour. I'll leave it at that. Photography's lovely, but the overall experience is just better in colour. The DP did a decent job with the edit, but at the end of the day there's no reason for them to have removed that degree of separation they created with the use of colour. If this was the original version, I truly think we'd be missing out. That murky green-brown palette's important when contrasted with the sharper tones of the house.

It's odd, Hong Sang Soo can pull off b&w with his films in modern Korea, but I found the lack of colour hindering here. There's moments that feel way too modern/present/very now, and they just don't seem appropriate being shown in black and white. It hit me within the first two minutes. There's something about seeing a cellphone shot in black and white that gives this sense of inauthenticity. Felt kinda gimmicky from the start.

It's a slight shame, because there's certainly parts that work in black and white, and maybe some particular stills benefit from it, but the original light and colour is too good to throw out the window. Fun experiment from Bong, but I'm glad they didn't make this the final version.

Give it a watch if you want. You focus a lot more on eyes/characters/movement/light, which gives off a different experience, and there are times the contrast is really top-notch, but I still think it needs those splashes of colour.
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 11/29/2020 05:29
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Just got around to watching the B&W version of Parasite.

It's better in colour. I'll leave it at that. Photography's lovely, but the overall experience is just better in colour. The DP did a decent job with the edit, but at the end of the day there's no reason for them to have removed that degree of separation they created with the use of colour. If this was the original version, I truly think we'd be missing out. That murky green-brown palette's important when contrasted with the sharper tones of the house.

It's odd, Hong Sang Soo can pull off b&w with his films in modern Korea, but I found the lack of colour hindering here. There's moments that feel way too modern/present/very now, and they just don't seem appropriate being shown in black and white. It hit me within the first two minutes. There's something about seeing a cellphone shot in black and white that gives this sense of inauthenticity. Felt kinda gimmicky from the start.

It's a slight shame, because there's certainly parts that work in black and white, and maybe some particular stills benefit from it, but the original light and colour is too good to throw out the window. Fun experiment from Bong, but I'm glad they didn't make this the final version.

Give it a watch if you want. You focus a lot more on eyes/characters/movement/light, which gives off a different experience, and there are times the contrast is really top-notch, but I still think it needs those splashes of colour.

So you mean to say that this was a... CASH GRAB?! *gasp*
  • Visit poster's website