Music Review / Discussion Podcast - Music Nerds Unite

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2021 02:29
  • Post subject:
First that Joshua Tree vs Graceland matchup would be fucking brutal for me.

I find there's always something worth learning. I disagree everyone knows everything about "the canon".

I do agree that most people do have closed minds about them though, so they move on to "more interesting" things because they already formed opinions on them, even if maybe they are missing half of the "reading" on it.

There are books I've read a hundred times and learned something new about it every time.

There are at least 50 lenses you can look at music through. Impossible that anyone on this thread knows "everything worthwhile" there is to know about "the canon".

It's probably closer to they don't care to know more, which is totally fine.

And to the other point of the argument, yes, there's tons of music being ignored because "the canon" gets regurgitated.
  • Visit poster's website
Keithfloman

• Posted: 01/23/2021 16:18
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
First that Joshua Tree vs Graceland matchup would be fucking brutal for me.

I find there's always something worth learning. I disagree everyone knows everything about "the canon".

I do agree that most people do have closed minds about them though, so they move on to "more interesting" things because they already formed opinions on them, even if maybe they are missing half of the "reading" on it.

There are books I've read a hundred times and learned something new about it every time.

There are at least 50 lenses you can look at music through. Impossible that anyone on this thread knows "everything worthwhile" there is to know about "the canon".

It's probably closer to they don't care to know more, which is totally fine.

And to the other point of the argument, yes, there's tons of music being ignored because "the canon" gets regurgitated.

Great post. Everyone brings their own experiences to what they listen to as well. So hearing about music from someone else’s experience should always add a little to someone’s understanding of how or what the music makes people feel. Even the unique contextualization perspective of when something came out.

It IS new information. Whether it’s interesting or worth investing the time to learn is a different story and will be unique to the person.

I’d like to think we provide an interesting listen to both people who may not even know of some or many of the albums (not the BEA audience) but also to people who do.

Even if you’d rage at our evaluation of the joshua tree vs Graceland matchup......Smile
  • Visit poster's website