Id like to see the top 10000 again

View previous topic :: View next topic
VADERBREWING

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2011 03:21
  • Post subject: Id like to see the top 10000 again
It seems that when I started looking at BEA I could look at more than the top 1000 albums. I really looked foreward to the albums after 1000 but that is the point where things start getting unpredictable. I don't really need BEA to know that the Beatles albums or Led Zepalin albums are great. History weighs heavily in this first 1000 I kinda like seeing the albums that people took a chance on when they put them on their list.

Vaderbrewing
New fav's: The Weepies, Art Brut, 311. Old Fav's: Bowie, zepalin, stones, buckcherry, cheap trick, couting crowes. Seen: Black Crowes, Nirvana, Ugly Kid Joe, Pretenders, Phycadelic furs, Ozzy, Thompson Twins, B Adams...regret not seeing G&R.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/26/2011 14:59
  • Post subject: Re: Id like to see the top 10000 again
Beyond 1000, the rankings are not very reliable as the albums are clumped together with very similar scores. The overall chart could be expanded to, say, 2,000 entries, but I'm not sure how much value there would be for people if the bottom half of the list is not statistically significant (in fact, it'll probably throw up all sorts of anomalies that are best hidden away!)
  • Visit poster's website
VADERBREWING

United States

• Posted: 10/29/2011 01:30
  • Post subject:
Yeah,

I noticed that if I put an album up high in my chart, and even if nobody else had ever concidered it, the album reached the top 4 to 6 thousand. It made me wonder what if for or five groupies of some garage band all ranked the album number 1. Statistically its intersting.

I've also noticed that a hater of a certain type of music cant give it a low score and make its rating plunge.

But still, the albums are fun to look at and although not statistically important. I like to think they are there because someone felt highly about them.
New fav's: The Weepies, Art Brut, 311. Old Fav's: Bowie, zepalin, stones, buckcherry, cheap trick, couting crowes. Seen: Black Crowes, Nirvana, Ugly Kid Joe, Pretenders, Phycadelic furs, Ozzy, Thompson Twins, B Adams...regret not seeing G&R.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/29/2011 05:23
  • Post subject:
VADERBREWING wrote:
Yeah, I noticed that if I put an album up high in my chart, and even if nobody else had ever concidered it, the album reached the top 4 to 6 thousand. It made me wonder what if for or five groupies of some garage band all ranked the album number 1. Statistically its intersting.

well, that's possible (if the album really exists), although it's much more difficult to game the system with all the safeguards that are now in place.

VADERBREWING wrote:
I've also noticed that a hater of a certain type of music cant give it a low score and make its rating plunge.

yes, I've noticed that too and find it equally frustrating. BEA knows exactly who the worst offenders are, because their distribution of votes gives them away! It's pretty obvious when 99 people rate an album 90 or above, and one person gives a 0(!), what they are trying to do.

Something will be done to make these votes have less of an impact, either through a voter 'reputation' system (where these votes count less), or a trimmed average etc. The different options are being actively explored in the background.

VADERBREWING wrote:
But still, the albums are fun to look at and although not statistically important. I like to think they are there because someone felt highly about them.

The overall chart could be increased to 2,000 entries, but would only retain a small sense of logic. Beyond that, there are still many other ways to explore the lesser-ranked albums e.g. from individual charts, related charts etc.
  • Visit poster's website