Canada
  • Posted: 03/28/2021 23:31
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
This was good.

I'm too lazy to add anything else.

But it's on my chart now.

Good stuff.

It's been quite the year for both rock and those living down under.
craola
crayon master

United States
  • Posted: 03/29/2021 21:45
  • Post subject:
kind of a mixed bag for me. it's ok, but there's not enough meat on the bones for me. it's a fun, proto-typical indie rock album. to that effect, it works well enough. but i thought some of the songs suffered from being a bit too full, particularly the earlier songs on the record, and despite some pretty sounds from the keyboard and cool guitar riffs throughout, the songwriting never drew me in, and (especially on the first couple tracks) it's loud/noisy/over-normalized. my ears were pretty tired by the time i got to what i thought were some of the better tracks (in the middle of the record). in the more dynamic moments, i quite liked what they had going. no stranger to life and candlelight are quite lovely. and in general, i think the record showcases some buttery-sweet guitar tones, plus the keyboard really shines at times. but i can't help feeling that if they could've dialed everything back a bit, i would've enjoyed this a lot more.
  • Visit poster's website
KitchenSink
  • Posted: 05/29/2021 23:34
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
kind of a mixed bag for me. it's ok, but there's not enough meat on the bones for me. it's a fun, proto-typical indie rock album. to that effect, it works well enough. but i thought some of the songs suffered from being a bit too full, particularly the earlier songs on the record, and despite some pretty sounds from the keyboard and cool guitar riffs throughout, the songwriting never drew me in, and (especially on the first couple tracks) it's loud/noisy/over-normalized. my ears were pretty tired by the time i got to what i thought were some of the better tracks (in the middle of the record). in the more dynamic moments, i quite liked what they had going. no stranger to life and candlelight are quite lovely. and in general, i think the record showcases some buttery-sweet guitar tones, plus the keyboard really shines at times. but i can't help feeling that if they could've dialed everything back a bit, i would've enjoyed this a lot more.

more or less my thoughts as well. intermittently good (if not very good or great) but far too much chaff in the way of the wheat. frustrating because I feel like there's a much better album buried in here somewhere, like if just a few pieces were moved around and a new mix was delivered it could be mmm *chef's kiss*, but as it is now it kind of mostly just blends together or sounds like stuff I've heard a million times before. that said, enough here did make me briefly go "hmm" that another listen or two might be in order....