Album of the day (#351): (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 10/30/2011 05:32
  • Post subject:
hairymarx1 wrote:
I remember Oasis played the Benicassim festival in Spain about 5 or 6 years ago. They were headlining ahead of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Cave played in front of a mainly hostile crowd of Oasis fans. I was amongst them. Oasis followed Cave who I was their to see, and they were probably the most boring band I've ever seen. They are dull as dishwater. This album doesn't even register on my radar.

Well no shit Oasis would be boring compared to Nick Cave.
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/30/2011 17:27
  • Post subject:
Oasis were brilliant when i saw them in 2009! Brick wall

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2011 02:47
  • Post subject:
OK, here goes... I enjoy this album. d'oh! There are a lot of catchy sing along tunes with great melodies. That's one thing I will give Noel Gallagher credit for. He can write a damn catchy tune, the kind that will stick in your head. I do think it's ridiculously overrated though and I'll explain why in a moment. I also like a good portion of Definitely Maybe, even though I recognize that both are very derivative and even plagiaristic at times. In this sense, it's frustrating to say I like something of theirs because I do find and did find Oasis as personalities unbearably annoying for their bravado and overall obnoxiousness. I find Noel entertaining in interviews now, but for some reason, his brother Liam remains one of the biggest douches in rock.

Here's the thing about Oasis though: Although they (Noel, really) had the ability to craft catchy pop songs, there's no real substance to them. Listening to them is sort of like eating junk food or watching an action movie with a cliche storyline and trite dialogue. They're fun, but their songs aren't going to enrich your lives like say a Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, or Radiohead song might. But their first two albums are really fun and I also like their best of, Stop the Clocks. Put those on in the summer time and crank up the volume and just enjoy. But time will show, and already does, that this band was far from being one of the most important bands in rock history. They were shallow imitators basically, albeit good ones.

Also, just on a personal note: I actually saw these guys for free in a nightclub in Seattle in '94, I think. If that seems unbelievable, Definitely Maybe had just come out and although they were getting hyped in Britain, they hadn't broken in America yet, so maybe it was a management decision to have them do some free shows. My best friend / roommate at the time and I were Anglophiles, so of course, we weren't going to miss this opportunity. That's still probably one of the loudest concerts I have ever experienced. I mean they were playing at arena rock level volume in a medium-sized club! Anxious My ears were ringing the next day!
  • Visit poster's website