ALC #20: Young Heart

View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/16/2021 03:07
  • Post subject: ALC #20: Young Heart

Young Heart by Birdy

Available on multiple streaming platforms.

Sounds Like: Traditional Singer-Songwriter Folk-type nostalgia.
Origin: United Kingdom

A beautiful affair of singer-songwriter tracks laid out splendidly, Jasmine van den Bogaerde creates one of my favorite albums of the year.

In fact, this is my favorite release of 2021 to the date I am writing this. This appears to be Jasmine's best album to date with personal, lyrically evocative material alongside the kind of folk pop you expect from someone influenced from the works of the great masters of the 70s. Some might find it a bit overlong or tedious, but it is not my impression. Strong highlights on this record include "Voyager", "Nobody Knows Me Like You Do", and "Lighthouse". Listen carefully. Maybe pull out a lyrics sheet while you do and you might enjoy Young Heart as much as I do.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2021 22:03
  • Post subject:
Backtracking to this since I finally got around to listening and I see there's no other comments here.

I quite liked this album. Not enough for it to break my top 10 of the year, but it's a strong contender, and among the best folk music I've heard this year. I immediately got Joni Mitchell vibes, which makes it seem like your comparison is very spot on (and also high praise). I checked out some of Birdy's other stuff and wasn't too into it, so I guess I'd be inclined to agree that this is her best, though I haven't heard all of it.

My favorite tracks were those that dealt with being lonely. Obviously "Loneliness" and "Deepest Lonely" but also "No One Knows Me Like You Do" and "Voyager", and really themes of loneliness (which I'm sure so many of us can relate to over the past year and a half) scattered throughout the whole album.