Members of great bands whose solo careers were bad

View previous topic :: View next topic
SD100852

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/16/2022 01:06
  • Post subject: Members of great bands whose solo careers were bad
Which members of highly regarded bands would you say didn't produce anything that was close to matching the quality of the music they wrote/performed in their bands when they released solo material? I was wondering this as was thinking Ringo Starr was the only ex-Beatle that never really came out with a classic album of any kind in their solo careers
  • Visit poster's website
Onj

• Posted: 07/16/2022 19:47
  • Post subject: Re: Members of great bands whose solo careers were bad
SD100852 wrote:
Which members of highly regarded bands would you say didn't produce anything that was close to matching the quality of the music they wrote/performed in their bands when they released solo material? I was wondering this as was thinking Ringo Starr was the only ex-Beatle that never really came out with a classic album of any kind in their solo careers

double post you are high
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2022 23:49
  • Post subject:
I have to agree, he probably is high. When bands break up, inferior solo material is the default — there are waaaaay too many examples to count, or even conceive of.

The Beatles were actually an exception. Even if you just look at the highly-ranked bands on this site, you've got Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Led Zep, Beach Boys, Pixies, the Clash, the Smiths, Rolling Stones, the Kinks... all of them would easily qualify, if you ask me.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2022 01:25
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
I have to agree, he probably is high. When bands break up, inferior solo material is the default — there are waaaaay too many examples to count, or even conceive of.

The Beatles were actually an exception. Even if you just look at the highly-ranked bands on this site, you've got Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Led Zep, Beach Boys, Pixies, the Clash, the Smiths, Rolling Stones, the Kinks... all of them would easily qualify, if you ask me.

I disagree from the start of your statement. The solo careers of Lennon and especially McCartney were highly inferior to their original band.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Onj

• Posted: 07/17/2022 01:43
  • Post subject:
Yeah maybe the mods can step in if there is a case of all or nothing it is easily because of monetary incentive and capitalism for example in the olympics track races in the sprint section are dominated by africans and long distance is europeans (i think i do not watch long distance i just watch Usain Bolt) so we know capitalism can create all or nothing situations as well as perhaps other mechanisms thought of by intelectuals
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2022 01:54
  • Post subject:
Onj wrote:
Yeah maybe the mods can step in if there is a case of all or nothing it is easily because of monetary incentive and capitalism for example in the olympics track races in the sprint section are dominated by africans and long distance is europeans (i think i do not watch long distance i just watch Usain Bolt) so we know capitalism can create all or nothing situations as well as perhaps other mechanisms thought of by intelectuals

...huh???????? Did you read that before you posted it?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2022 02:26
  • Post subject:
He's probably high too.

It's Saturday night! Smile
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 07/17/2022 06:00
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:

I mean yeah, inferior work on the whole- but I wouldn’t say that the solo careers for most of these were especially bad. I can vouch for at least some of Thom Yorke, Robert Plant, Morresey, Brian Wilson and Frank Black solo stuff being basically very good. Don’t know about Ray Davis, Pink Floyd or Mick ‘n’ Keef though.

Dee Dee Ramone springs to mind. Made a famously bad hip hop album solo.
theblueboy

• Posted: 07/17/2022 06:55
  • Post subject:
Pete Best Neutral