Automatic Chart Adjustments

View previous topic :: View next topic
martintho
martintho

Norway

• Posted: 12/23/2022 12:15
  • Post subject: Automatic Chart Adjustments
So that when I on my 2010 chart decides to elevate Songs of Praise by Shame from spot 3 to number one and thereby shoving Year of the Snitch by Death Grips down from the throne this action automatically swifts the two albums positions on my decade list and Top 100 of All Times-list too. And: when The Best of Muddy Waters is modified from the year 1958 to 1957 by Albummaster this will automatically transfer it from my 1958-list to my 1957-list too and hereby preventing it to skydive on the BEA overall rank as such a modification supposedly would erase all its rankpoints from multiple other users lists too(if this automatic adjustment isn't possible maybe those users who has this album on their lists should get a notification so that they can do this themselves), and also automatically have it placed in the most correct spot on my '57-list based on data from my decade and all-time lists. That would be something. Do we have the inventor of Excel amidst our members?
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/23/2022 16:07
  • Post subject: Re: Automatic Chart Adjustments
Thanks for your post. As you say, overall/decade/year charts are all discrete and not linked together at the moment. It would be nice if all the charts were somehow linked together, flowing down from overall to year. I guess some people do have spreadsheets with these lists (hadn't really thought about that and the trouble it might cause Embarassed ).

With regards to data updates, the current data flow is that a user reports a 'correction', somebody then verifies it (not always me), and if the correction checks out (appears correct), the item is updated to the new value. Albums aren't changed to the wrong value on purpose, and generally Discogs is much more reliable than Wikipedia (RYM, AllMusic etc are also normally consulted). Changes in year can sometimes cause issues for existing year/decade charts. Yes, notifications might be a good idea (e.g. in-app or email etc and I've made a note of this).

I'm not sure there's a good way of 'allowing' an album in a year chart that it doesn't belong to (this would be the alternative) as this could be gamed (albums added on purpose to wrong year etc, or appear in multiple year charts from same user). Not really sure either if it would be appropriate or possible for BEA to automatically move an album into a different year chart at some random position (the other year chart might not yet exist etc which would also be a problem). Yes, the mega list with everything on it would get around this as you wouldn't need to bump albums between year/decade lists (but you'd then need an overall chart with a possibly unlimited number of entries which might be difficult to manage).
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 12/23/2022 21:19
  • Post subject: Re: Automatic Chart Adjustments
martintho wrote:
Do we have the inventor of Excel amidst our members?

There's a guy calling himself Douglas who posted a Top 40 Albums chart in 2011 that purports to be "for underrated or ignored albums, avoiding anything obvious" (so I assume that having OK Computer at #40 is a "personal statement" of some kind). But I doubt we'll ever know if he really is Doug Klunder, the lead developer on the Multiplan/Excel team in the early 80s.

Of course, anybody can read the Excel User's Manual and become an expert over time, but in strictly musical terms, IBM 1401, A User's Manual by Jóhann Jóhannsson is a much better approach to technical documentation, especially if you enjoy a cinematic neo-classical accompaniment to your technical instructions.

• Visit poster's website