I/O by Peter Gabriel: how to represent the album on BEA

View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 12/01/2023 20:10
  • Post subject: I/O by Peter Gabriel: how to represent the album on BEA
Apart from being a very special piece of work by Peter Gabriel, I think this is an interesting topic to have a discussion on how to represent it on BEA.
First it took a long while before it was released and when it was, it was released as a one single per month with each time a dark-side mix and a bright-side mix which are indeed very different versions of in the end, 12 different tracks.
So a few days ago I decided to just add the names of the 12 tracks as one album and I see that also other sites do it like this.
On the official release date today (although the Peter Gabriel website seems to mention 8 March as the official release date), it's clear that there are different versions on LP, CD and Blue Ray and finally of course the streaming versions.

When I look on Apple Music, I finally see two versions (I suppose Spotify does the same thing):
I/O (Bright-Side and Dark-Side Mix) which in this sense contains 24 tracks
I/O (In-Side Mix) with 12 tracks in Dolby Atmos

Now I see that Romanelli has modified this and included 36 tracks with each time the 3 versions of inherently the same song:

I/O by Peter Gabriel

Without giving any judgement I would like to open the discussion what is the best way of representing this great Peter Gabriel release. With albums appearing in different versions and being re-released I think it's clear that the general consensus is to include the original version but here all the versions are released at the same time.

And finally, I really like this album and sometimes like the Dark-Side version more and sometimes the Bright-Side version where I mostly prefer as much as possible original instruments (mainly piano and strings) over synthesizers. I haven't made my mind up about the In-Side Mix yet.
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 12/01/2023 20:33
  • Post subject:
I just think that as long as he doesn't release the Back-Side Mix, we should be OK no matter what the tracklisting is.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/02/2023 11:10
  • Post subject:
Four different formats released on same day. Blu-ray not eligible for BEA, two vinyl releases with bright and dark side on separate albums and then a CD release which combines both bright and dark side. The CD release is correctly listed here ( https://www.discogs.com/release/2906867...Gabriel-IO ), but there's also a case for the separate vinyl releases being added in the future too, since they are all distinct (and similar already exist here e.g. Use Your Illusion comes to mind).
  • Visit poster's website
hwex9000

• Posted: 12/02/2023 14:34
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Four different formats released on same day. Blu-ray not eligible for BEA, two vinyl releases with bright and dark side on separate albums and then a CD release which combines both bright and dark side. The CD release is correctly listed here ( https://www.discogs.com/release/2906867...Gabriel-IO ), but there's also a case for the separate vinyl releases being added in the future too, since they are all distinct (and similar already exist here e.g. Use Your Illusion comes to mind).

I'm 99.99999% sure that no one who has that 1998 Use Your Illusion album (an album compiling six "clean" songs from each volume, designed to be sold at retail outlets that wouldn't sell CDs with explicit lyrics) on their list actually intended to put that version there. The presence (or, at least, the rank) of the 1998 version on this site has always seemed like an unfixable error to me (similar situations exist, in my opinion, with N.E.R.D.'s In Search Of... -- how many people have actually heard the original version of that album? -- and the two versions of F#A# [infinity] by Godspeed You! Black Emperor). Having separate listings for the Gabriel album seems like it would be a mistake as well. Just my $0.02.
  • Visit poster's website