Best Films of The 60s (V2) [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2024 14:10
  • Post subject:
I think The Big City is not just Ray's best 60s film; I think it's his best film overall.
Mercury wrote:
the +18 and +62 on a couple Antonioni classics is great to see
Don't forget La Notte +33 and Red Desert +49. A huge win for Antonioni this poll!
Hayden wrote:
Can confirm our next list will be the Best of 2023, followed by the 50s over the course of the summer. (Never to early to get started on some watches/rewatches though).
Oh nice. Let's get the 2023 poll going soon. There haven't been any posts here about recent cinema since our 2023 thread mysteriously disappeared, which is kind of a shame because 2023 ended on a high note. We're also in the midst of awards season, so there's plenty to talk about.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/08/2024 23:11
  • Post subject:
https://www.indiewire.com/news/breaking...234952391/

Speakin of the devil.

(CA, will re/ once I’m off my phone and back on a laptop)
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/09/2024 01:55
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Let's get the 2023 poll going soon. There haven't been any posts here about recent cinema since our 2023 thread mysteriously disappeared, which is kind of a shame because 2023 ended on a high note. We're also in the midst of awards season, so there's plenty to talk about.

It's usually posted the week before the Oscars, but I could bump it up another week or so. I'm waaaaaay behind on 2023 watched Shocked Brick wall— even despite feeling the year was oddly topheavy, and the fact a solid 40-50 films I want to watch haven't become widely available released yet, I've watched significantly less compared to recent years, and I don't even know what my #1 is at this point. I still feel like I have more than half the year to discover. I knew this would happen in the age of streaming, but I also feel like there's a little bit less to dig. Everything's either right there in front of you or it isn't there at all.

& yeah... not sure what happened to that thread Neutral kinda went poof.

But I'm thinking of posting the poll March 3rd, with a wrap around May 5th.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/09/2024 02:18
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
I think most English-speaking movie buffs are like me...their tastes begin with American and British mainstream, before venturing into non-English, indie, art-house, etc. You, on the other hand, are the other way around. You love Color of Pomegranates but have never seen The Birds. It's by no means a critique on your taste or habits; it's just...unique, interesting, personal. I can see why films such as The Birds, Goldfinger, and Planet of the Apes isn't everyone's cup of tea. They're kinda generic genre flair whose hype and popularity feels a little overblown.

I suppose that... is me Laughing

European and Asian cinema drew me in first. It's what I dove into. Wong Kar-Wai. Godard. Almodovar. Lars Von Trier. Park Chan-Wook. Fellini. Miyazaki. Weerasethakul. Tarkovsky. Noe. Refn. Ed Yang. Antonioni. Jeunet. (This could go on). Of course, American heavyweights like the Coen Brothers, PTA, Linklater, Lynch, Wes Anderson and Pixar's team were always in the mix, but there was something about the 'elsewhere' that lured me.

The Colour of Pomegranates was actually an important film for me when I was just starting to get into "more obscure" cinema. It changed how I thought about texture, colour and composition in film, and a lot of that perception remains to this day. Just that shot alone of the wet red on the soft fabric... I mean— you can feel it— there's something extra to it than just a flat image. And a lot of the imagery is unlike anything else—

(Homage to a deck of cards?— always thought these scenes were inspired by something along those lines)

The distinct arrangement of shape, pattern, fabric, texture, tones and eccentricities just blend into it's own thing. Any frame, you know what film it is.
Helped free my mind as to what kind of artistry can go into film.
Couldn't be made today. Needed to be Armenia in the 60s. It's like an extinct... fruit (or something).

(I'll think of better words later). (When I'm far away from a keyboard probably).
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2024 22:33
  • Post subject:
I know what you mean about Color of Pomegranates. I sat through it once, and I was confused because I had no prior awareness that it was a creative spin on the biopic genre, and I had never heard of the person the movie was about. After doing a little research, I hope to understand it better upon revisit. Even though I didn't "get it", I could tell it's pure expression. Tells its story through mostly abstract images and minimal dialogue. It widens the scope of what's possible in visual storytelling.

Anyway...
Hayden wrote:
It's usually posted the week before the Oscars, but I could bump it up another week or so. I'm waaaaaay behind on 2023 watched Shocked Brick wall— even despite feeling the year was oddly topheavy, and the fact a solid 40-50 films I want to watch haven't become widely available released yet, I've watched significantly less compared to recent years, and I don't even know what my #1 is at this point. I still feel like I have more than half the year to discover. I knew this would happen in the age of streaming, but I also feel like there's a little bit less to dig. Everything's either right there in front of you or it isn't there at all.

& yeah... not sure what happened to that thread Neutral kinda went poof.

But I'm thinking of posting the poll March 3rd, with a wrap around May 5th.
We can keep the May 5th deadline, but I don't see the harm in starting the thread sooner (how's tomorrow for you? Mr. Green ). We see how not having a 2023 thread ended discourse, and even simple recommendations. We could use that again, cause you're not the only one who's behind and unsure of where to find good titles. I reckon there's a few folks here in the same boat.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/10/2024 02:51
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
We can keep the May 5th deadline, but I don't see the harm in starting the thread sooner (how's tomorrow for you? Mr. Green ). We see how not having a 2023 thread ended discourse, and even simple recommendations. We could use that again, cause you're not the only one who's behind and unsure of where to find good titles. I reckon there's a few folks here in the same boat.

Could start the poll a smidge earlier suppose... I mean, you're right— I need recommendations Laughing— it was a little odd not having a thread for film from this year, especially over the past few months. Can't post it tomorrow, I'm gonna be a bit too busy over this weekend, but I don't see any reason why I couldn't get it running next weekend. Hoping to find my favourite of the year sometime soon Razz

I'll go think of some ideas for the thread banner.

Being said, re: 2023— I just watched Robot Dreams, which will most likely land my top 20 of the year easy. Beautiful bit of storytelling (and a subtle reminder Earth, Wind & Fire made bops).
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 02/12/2024 01:33
  • Post subject:
Oh don't worry Hayden I'm sure I'm behind nearly everyone here as I think I've seen maybe... four? new movies this year, although the Zone of Interest has come to Fort Lauderdale so I can make the short journey downward, preferably on discount Tuesday. I was also well behind on the 60s this poll, as the seasonal move kind of distracted plans to do much catch up, as had a somewhat shallower pools to pick from and unlike a lot of the last decade polls when I had a mini home-theater experience I really don't want to watch a bunch of movies on my laptop. Hopefully for the next decade pools will be better prepared, and definitely excited to tackle 40s and 50s in the (near?) future.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/18/2024 20:47
  • Post subject:
cestuneblague wrote:
Oh don't worry Hayden I'm sure I'm behind nearly everyone here as I think I've seen maybe... four? new movies this year, although the Zone of Interest has come to Fort Lauderdale so I can make the short journey downward, preferably on discount Tuesday. I was also well behind on the 60s this poll, as the seasonal move kind of distracted plans to do much catch up, as had a somewhat shallower pools to pick from and unlike a lot of the last decade polls when I had a mini home-theater experience I really don't want to watch a bunch of movies on my laptop. Hopefully for the next decade pools will be better prepared, and definitely excited to tackle 40s and 50s in the (near?) future.

The Zone of Interest is high on my priority list too. Just... haven't seen it. I'm finding a lot of 2023's 'international releases' just aren't available anywhere yet. Really looking forward to About Dry Grasses, The Peasants, Samsara, Totem, Evil Does Not Exist, Youth (Spring), Inside The Yellow Cocoon Shell, The Beast, Tiger Stripes, La Chimera & On the Adamant— (among others). Either way, I'll get around to posting the poll soon. (Like CA said) I think it'll be good to have a thread for recs.

And yeah, 50s will be next. Most likely the duration of summer (ish). Feel free to get a head's start though Mr. Green (I watched the '56 film Flowing for the first time yesterday— won't be landing my list, but it was still a good watch).

Unrelated, finally got around to Ferris Bueller's Day Off Laughing — enjoyed it quite a bit. Tonnes of fun. Really great portrait of a specific moment in 80s teenagerhood.
  • Visit poster's website