Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/17/2023 09:58
  • Post subject:
Arthurknight wrote:
Yeah just to be clear I was suggesting what is effectively a bandaid solution. I generally hate suggesting anything that requires a lot of someone else's labour to execute or may not be technically feasible. However, if you can easily implement a change that enables linking charts together via the chart editing page, then I agree: the hassle of editing continuation charts is removed entirely. It would be a considerably better solution to directly tackle the continuation chart problem, but if you're going to implement something like that it only raises more questions as to why the limit remains at 100. Both would be ideal, either one alone would improve the current way of doing business.

No worries, think I addressed reasons for the 100 limit above (in ranked charts), but agreed that custom charts could be made bigger and then down the line add ability to link them together. Also working on a few other things in the background to do with recognised charts, so once that's finished hopefully that'll clear the decks a bit.
  • Visit poster's website
SD100852

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/20/2023 00:49
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
agree with you. so many things getting backed up right now, difficult to know where to start. Maybe both features could be for premium members, once that gets off the ground. The main issue I continually have is available time, most of it tied up in site admin rather than dev.

If this was to happen soon going forward I think just opening the option to premium/high level users would be a good idea, as it could also help act as a reward for people who engage with the website well and regularly
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/26/2023 20:46
  • Post subject:
SD100852 wrote:
If this was to happen soon going forward I think just opening the option to premium/high level users would be a good idea, as it could also help act as a reward for people who engage with the website well and regularly

Some interesting thoughts throughout this thread. This one seems to be the most sensible.

Happy to stay with 100 if the technical side creates major issues. Just love being part of the site and wouldn’t want the admin side to become over burdensome for the adminers
  • Visit poster's website
Stevo796

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/23/2023 12:36
  • Post subject:
I'll add my two cents here too.

I'd love to see an expansion to the list sizes. 100 seems very restrictive -- especially when you're talking about a 'best ever' albums list. I think an expanded list size would help get lesser known and overlooked albums a chance to get more points in the overall rankings. Since they already scale the number of points given to the relative position on a list, it would still give those albums higher up a much bigger boost. I think it would just help shake things up[ a bit outside the established canon.

I'd love to see rank-based expansions to 200, 250, 500, and maybe even 1000 for an overall chart. 500 seems like a reasonable cap for a decade-based list, while yearly lists still make sense to keep at 100.

I imagine that expanded lists would help people feel more comfortable adding in personal favourites/guilty pleasures alongside any canonical picks. I just think it would lead to a more interesting and varied chart overall. Plus there are loads of users that have listened to thousands of albums, so it's still a curated selection for those users with a high enough rank to really be able to take advantage of the new freedoms.

Then there's the whole thing about the recognised lists being able to be displayed fully...
  • Visit poster's website
SD100852

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/08/2024 18:48
  • Post subject:
It would be very interesting too to see how the album and artist ranks would change if an expansion of the maximum number of entries in a chart was put in, as I'd imagine more points would be awarded for high-placed records in these charts than the current system.
As earlier posted, the yearly chart shouldn't be more than 100 as this is pretty much the most any publication would do for an annual chart (TBH a lot of them only go up to 50)
  • Visit poster's website