66%  [2]
No
33%
 33%  [1]
Total Votes : 3

CassidyInc

• Posted: 03/28/2024 12:16
  • Post subject: Hello
Trying to get some points to make a larger chart.
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 03/29/2024 06:30
  • Post subject:
It won't work. Forum posts are all fine and dandy, but to really accumulate points here you've got to delete the bottom five or ten entries on your existing chart and instead use them to add new albums (obscure new dreampop and shoegaze releases are always a good choice for this, especially since I myself have been taking a break from BEA for the last several weeks which leaves the field practically wide open). Once you get to Level 4, reserve about 15-20 chart slots for new stuff, and if you fill those up that should get you to Level 5 relatively quickly, at which point you can do decade charts and you can go back to putting your actual favorite albums on the All-Time chart instead of new stuff.

Other methods of getting to level 5 simply take too long, and/or don't provide sufficient creative engagement to keep a sophisticated music/album fan interested. And I might add that as of now, your chart looks really good. There are no XTC albums on it, which of course is a problem for me personally, but I can't really see any other reason to criticize it — keep up the good work, man! Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 03/29/2024 17:28
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
It won't work. Forum posts are all fine and dandy, but to really accumulate points here you've got to delete the bottom five or ten entries on your existing chart and instead use them to add new albums (obscure new dreampop and shoegaze releases are always a good choice for this, especially since I myself have been taking a break from BEA for the last several weeks which leaves the field practically wide open). Once you get to Level 4, reserve about 15-20 chart slots for new stuff, and if you fill those up that should get you to Level 5 relatively quickly, at which point you can do decade charts and you can go back to putting your actual favorite albums on the All-Time chart instead of new stuff.

Other methods of getting to level 5 simply take too long, and/or don't provide sufficient creative engagement to keep a sophisticated music/album fan interested. And I might add that as of now, your chart looks really good. There are no XTC albums on it, which of course is a problem for me personally, but I can't really see any other reason to criticize it — keep up the good work, man! Smile

I would actually not recommend this...not sure why you would want to just add random albums on a regular basis that you probably haven't heard to your chart in favor of albums you actually want on your chart.

If you want to increase your point total (while also adding value to the site): Data Moderation. People are always adding albums to the site without adding all the details (release date, album art, track listing). If you don't believe it, consider this:

In the last 7 days, I have accumulated more than 4600 data mod points. Enough to take someone from level 1 to level 6. In 7 days.

Now, granted, those album admins won't be available all at the same time. And it's been a good week for data mods. You have to keep an eye on things and do data moderation as the albums come available. But this IS the fastest way to add points, and it really does help the site.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 03/29/2024 22:42
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
If you want to increase your point total (while also adding value to the site): Data Moderation. People are always adding albums to the site without adding all the details (release date, album art, track listing). If you don't believe it, consider this:

In the last 7 days, I have accumulated more than 4600 data mod points. Enough to take someone from level 1 to level 6. In 7 days.

I don't mean any disrespect here, and in fact I sincerely think you're a really good guy, but that's the problem in itself. You personally are the reason why this isn't a viable strategy. Nobody can compete with you. If anyone else tried to do this, particularly a newbie, they would almost immediately become frustrated and give up because you're just too good at this and are grabbing all the corrective point-making opportunities for yourself before anyone else can. Which is fine, and I'm glad all those entries are being completed and fixed, but as a point-accumulation strategy for anyone else, it just won't work.

I know this because I've actually tried it. I pore through artists' album listings, looking for errors (and also album covers that meet certain theme requirements that I might post charts of here someday, though that's a different story). What ends up happening is that the only mistakes I find in the database are the ones you personally make, which I then immediately correct — but there are so few of them, if I had ever depended solely on that activity to level up, I'd have fewer than a thousand points to this day.

Please don't stop doing what you're doing, as it's one of the main reasons this site is so usable and accurate! But adding new releases is the way to go for initial point accumulation, at least as long as you're doing it.
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 03/30/2024 10:01
  • Post subject:
Is it even allowed for a newbie to change data? I think MadhattanJack is right. (I tried to correct some data just now with no luck.) Also one can rate 100 songs/albums easily every day for a while and participate in our stupid games.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2024 16:42
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

I don't mean any disrespect here, and in fact I sincerely think you're a really good guy, but that's the problem in itself. You personally are the reason why this isn't a viable strategy. Nobody can compete with you. If anyone else tried to do this, particularly a newbie, they would almost immediately become frustrated and give up because you're just too good at this and are grabbing all the corrective point-making opportunities for yourself before anyone else can. Which is fine, and I'm glad all those entries are being completed and fixed, but as a point-accumulation strategy for anyone else, it just won't work.

I know this because I've actually tried it. I pore through artists' album listings, looking for errors (and also album covers that meet certain theme requirements that I might post charts of here someday, though that's a different story). What ends up happening is that the only mistakes I find in the database are the ones you personally make, which I then immediately correct — but there are so few of them, if I had ever depended solely on that activity to level up, I'd have fewer than a thousand points to this day.

Please don't stop doing what you're doing, as it's one of the main reasons this site is so usable and accurate! But adding new releases is the way to go for initial point accumulation, at least as long as you're doing it.

I do appreciate the kind words. Doesn't happen a lot here.

Actually, I recently took 2 days off and when I came back, there were 5 pages of non moderated albums (about 100 albums). I took a month off earlier this year and came back to more than 250 albums in the queue. I work the unmoderated albums in the morning...sometimes 5 or 6 albums, sometimes 3-4 pages. It's actually a rare thing to not see any albums in that queue. I work it regularly because if I don't, it piles up because a lot of times, no one else does it. A lot of people add a lot of albums but only do the moderation for the ones they add themselves. Currently, there are 2 of us working the queue on a regular basis. It can at times be a ton of work...yesterday, I spent over 2 hours just working not moderated albums. Sometimes, it's 4 or 5. No one else jumped in and took a single one of those albums, so I simply did them all.

(It's the Not Moderated tab you want.)

At this moment, there are 23 unmoderated albums in that queue. That's at least 2000 points sitting right there. Yours for the taking...I'm not working them today. They've been there for hours.

It's out there. You just have to keep checking.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CassidyInc

• Posted: 03/30/2024 19:48
  • Post subject:
Liedzeit wrote:
Is it even allowed for a newbie to change data? I think MadhattanJack is right. (I tried to correct some data just now with no luck.) Also one can rate 100 songs/albums easily every day for a while and participate in our stupid games.

Ya that's what I settled on
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2024 20:21
  • Post subject:
24 albums now. Been there all day. Points just a sittin' there.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2024 13:50
  • Post subject:
So, I worked about 15 to 20 albums yesterday. There are still 24 sitting unworked. For more than 2 days. The problem isn't one person taking on all the work...the problem is that no one else wants to do it.

That is all.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 04/01/2024 16:34
  • Post subject:
I did some today. But it feels weird adding data to music that in all likelihood I will never listen to. Confused