Best Films of 2023 [Poll][Deadline: May 19th]

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/11/2024 23:05
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Agreed on Poor Things, it'll probably go into my list somewhere but not nearly as high as some folks (including Letterboxd's general audience) have it.

I have a few movies to catch up on (including some low-hanging fruit like Nimona or other easily streamable movies) before I post my list, but I feel pretty happy with the number of films I've seen this year.

Nimona was an interesting work. Make sure to read the story behind the production before watching it. Slipped through the cracks a smidge, so I'm glad it landed the Oscar nom. It's... not exactly my thing, and the arc didn't interest me all too much, but there's some strong highlights (plus, it's a super speedy watch). There's a Metric-scored dance scene that's phenomenally enjoyable.

Poor Things almost hurts me Laughing — I thought it was an incredible final result, but the premise is terrible. Acting, art production, score, costumes, cinematography, sets, casting, make-up, etc, etc under Yorgos was magnificent. Plot's kinda... disgusting? Loved the effort the ensemble put into it though— really eclectic group of actors too. It's the sort of film I expected to maybe even be my #1 of the year, but I just... can't. Because of the plot.

Speaking of which, Yorgos has a new film at Cannes this year Smile — looking forward to it. I'm assuming there'll be a film or two added to the lineup (Mike Leigh?), but at first glance I have no idea who the frontrunner for the Palme will be. Exciting.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2024 15:18
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Agreed on Poor Things, it'll probably go into my list somewhere but not nearly as high as some folks (including Letterboxd's general audience) have it.

I have a few movies to catch up on (including some low-hanging fruit like Nimona or other easily streamable movies) before I post my list, but I feel pretty happy with the number of films I've seen this year.

Nimona was an interesting work. Make sure to read the story behind the production before watching it. Slipped through the cracks a smidge, so I'm glad it landed the Oscar nom. It's... not exactly my thing, and the arc didn't interest me all too much, but there's some strong highlights (plus, it's a super speedy watch). There's a Metric-scored dance scene that's phenomenally enjoyable.

Poor Things almost hurts me Laughing — I thought it was an incredible final result, but the premise is terrible. Acting, art production, score, costumes, cinematography, sets, casting, make-up, etc, etc under Yorgos was magnificent. Plot's kinda... disgusting? Loved the effort the ensemble put into it though— really eclectic group of actors too. It's the sort of film I expected to maybe even be my #1 of the year, but I just... can't. Because of the plot.

Speaking of which, Yorgos has a new film at Cannes this year Smile — looking forward to it. I'm assuming there'll be a film or two added to the lineup (Mike Leigh?), but at first glance I have no idea who the frontrunner for the Palme will be. Exciting.

I know Nimona was based on a webcomic (which in and of itself is crazy) and had a tortured production, I'll read up some more.

Poor Things... yes in addition to the disgusting premise/plot, one other thing that I can't get over is the scene she first encounters poor people is the only scene set in Africa. Idk, when I watched it, it just struck me as "really? This is what we're doing now?" But yeah the visuals, makeup & costumes, etc. were beautiful and the acting was all great (including wonderful performances by Ramy Youssef and Jerrod Carmichael who I'd only known of as comedians up until this point). Maybe just with all the changes going on in the US with reproductive freedoms, it was just bad timing for me to watch the movie with that focus in mind.

Anyway, I also just rewatched Asteroid City and had a great time, I think I enjoyed it more than the first time. I recognized Jarvis Cocker as one of the cowboys (and in a couple songs), but didn't realize that Seu Jorge was another cowboy! That's pretty cool; if Alexandre Desplat had been another of the cowboys, that'd be like the holy trinity of Wes Anderson musical accompaniment in scenes together.

And speaking of soundtrack/score: is there a subcategory for best music (whether it be soundtrack, score, or either)?
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/12/2024 15:36
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
if Alexandre Desplat had been another of the cowboys, that'd be like the holy trinity of Wes Anderson musical accompaniment in scenes together.

And speaking of soundtrack/score: is there a subcategory for best music (whether it be soundtrack, score, or either)?

Desplat as a cowboy would've been a great touch Laughing — especially if the character kinda still... resembled him? Just with a cowboy hat or something. Not sure what kind of person Desplat is, but I hope he would've done it if asked.

And yeah, speaking of— I didn't list a soundtrack category. We could do one. (10 entries per submission, final list being the top 5). I'll make the edit (and think of my list).

Re: Poor Things— Ramy Youssef (who, I've never seen in anything prior) was particularly good. Perfect casting despite it looking unassuming on paper.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/12/2024 21:29
  • Post subject:
Completely unrelated sidenote: I'd been putting off watching 20th Century Women since... well, 2016.

Just saw it.

Why did none of you force me to watch it earlier Not talking

What a film. Might be one of my favourites of the 10s.
  • Visit poster's website
Olli

Germany

• Posted: 04/22/2024 21:51
  • Post subject:
I'm still trying to watch at least 100 films from 2023. Your lists are very helpful to me. Applause

There are films that are not very popular and are difficult to find or are not released in the country where I live. I have a tip for a film from Germany where I live, it's from 2023...

Sun and Concrete (in German original: Sonne und Beton) Smile

Here is a trailer from this film with engl. Subtitles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YseO5USMSLA
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2024 12:06
  • Post subject:
I don’t know if I’ll see many more 2023 films by the deadline, but I think Claire Simon’s Our Body might be my new #1.
  • Visit poster's website