Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2024 23:02
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Romanelli wrote:
This is my take.

I love R&B and hip hop music. It is a big part of my love of music, and anyone who has performed it well, past or present, has my total respect. It has been, in many ways, a big part of how my singing and my taste in music has evolved.

With that being said, I would never attempt to record an R&B or hip hop album. Because, as much as I love the music, it is not in my particular set of skills to perform it as well as it should be, or to do it justice.

That is all.

Have you listened to the album yet? If you set aside the genre category discourse, it's quite an interesting and quality work of music. The first run of physical copies is abridged though, so best to wait a bit if you're getting it on CD.

As are you, I am free to listen to an album in the way that I choose to. Because I am a writer and performer of music that is part of the country umbrella, I choose to listen to this music as country, which is how Beyonce herself has chosen to classify it. As an expression of Beyonce's being, and of her roots and culture, yes. It is quite interesting. As country music, as I said above, let's leave that to people who are good at performing country music. And, again, in fairness, I will leave the performing of R&B and hip hop to those who are better suited to do so. Like Beyonce.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2024 19:01
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Romanelli wrote:
This is my take.

I love R&B and hip hop music. It is a big part of my love of music, and anyone who has performed it well, past or present, has my total respect. It has been, in many ways, a big part of how my singing and my taste in music has evolved.

With that being said, I would never attempt to record an R&B or hip hop album. Because, as much as I love the music, it is not in my particular set of skills to perform it as well as it should be, or to do it justice.

That is all.

Have you listened to the album yet? If you set aside the genre category discourse, it's quite an interesting and quality work of music. The first run of physical copies is abridged though, so best to wait a bit if you're getting it on CD.

As are you, I am free to listen to an album in the way that I choose to. Because I am a writer and performer of music that is part of the country umbrella, I choose to listen to this music as country, which is how Beyonce herself has chosen to classify it. As an expression of Beyonce's being, and of her roots and culture, yes. It is quite interesting. As country music, as I said above, let's leave that to people who are good at performing country music. And, again, in fairness, I will leave the performing of R&B and hip hop to those who are better suited to do so. Like Beyonce.

It would be nice if it had country-er production. There's a sad lack of pedal steel, for one. But even though this is being classified in Billboard, radio, et al. as country (everything needs to be put in some box in the music industry), it's not like she's been personally claiming this album is something it's not.

Beyoncé wrote:
This ain't a Country album. This is a "Beyoncé" album.

She's fundamentally a pop musician, whether she's making r&b-tinged pop, country-tinged pop, or house-tinged pop.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2024 21:46
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Romanelli wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Roma nelli wrote:
This is my take.

That is all.

It would be nice if it had country-er production. There's a sad lack of pedal steel, for one. But even though this is being classified in Billboard, radio, et al. as country (everything needs to be put in some box in the music industry), it's not like she's been personally claiming this album is something it's not.

She's fundamentally a pop musician, whether she's making r&b-tinged pop, country-tinged pop, or house-tinged pop.

It's an R&B artist trying to make a country record and not fully succeeding. Call it what you want. She can call it what she wants. Country pop is not something I enjoy, and apparently, the same goes for R&B country pop. I can live with that.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
spigelwii

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2024 21:56
  • Post subject:
Getting spicy in here, and I am here for it!

I particularly enjoyed your take, Romanelli, although I liked the album at least a little more than you did. Razz Still fun to read!
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 04/14/2024 03:56
  • Post subject:
To me, country music hasn't been ruined. What the problem may be is the fact that country music may be harder to find now because of certain other music being given a country music label when it isn't country and with it being a country music label that this other music is being given, actual country music might now be labeled Americana music.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2024 05:59
  • Post subject:
JOSweetHeart wrote:
To me, country music hasn't been ruined. What the problem may be is the fact that country music may be harder to find now because of certain other music being given a country music label when it isn't country and with it being a country music label that this other music is being given, actual country music might now be labeled Americana music.

Isn't that the definition of "ruined"? Think
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 04/14/2024 06:48
  • Post subject:
^^^ No and it's because as long as what is actual country music is still out there, it won't be ruined. We just have to learn to live with actual country music being given another label if it is given another one that is.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website