Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States
  • Posted: 05/19/2024 14:13
  • Post subject:
Jacy Parker - Spotlight on Jacy Parker
Year: 1962
Style or Subgenre: Vocal Jazz

This one off that I probably wouldn't have found on my own came as a recommendation for one of my Saturday Night Vocals session. So let's see, absolutely beautiful jazz voice, impeccable phrasing, emotive delivery, the ability to swing when or get bluesy with equal facility; what's not to love? An instant favorite.

Time After Time

Link

Long Gone Love

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States
  • Posted: 05/21/2024 01:21
  • Post subject:
Roswell Rudd - Roswell Rudd
Year: 1965
Style or Subgenre: Free Jazz

Roswell Rudd - Flexible Flyer
Year: 1974
Style or Subgenre: Avant Garde

Trombonist Roswell Rudd's self titled debut as leader is a free jazz bit with of a bop core at times. Rudd can use his slide to bend and torture notes more than your favorite bluesman or pedal steel guitarist, but the songs can be easily followed. This album doesn't have near enough bop to satisfy some traditionalists and it's probably not out there enough to bring in the free jazz devotee, but still an interesting mix for anyone who just wants to hear something different.

For the latter Flexible Flyer, Rudd is joined by vocalist Sheila Jordan (I inadvertently got to some vocals long before Saturday this week) who wobbles and warbles much of the time, but also sings it straight sometimes as well. More structured than the early album, there's enough exploration, including in the vocals, to place this firmly in the avant garde realm. After struggling a bit with the opener, I took nicely to the rest of the album.

Respects (from Roswell Rudd)

Link

Flexible Flyer (full album)

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States
  • Posted: 05/22/2024 00:05
  • Post subject:
Joanne Brackeen - Keyed In
Year: 1979
Style or Subgenre: Post Bop

My love affair with Ms. Brackeen continues. Thanks to a suggestion, I tossed this into my queue and once again, it's nothing like the various Brackeen albums I own, but it's still bursting with fire and creativity. Eddie Gomez plays a great bass on this one, and Jack DeJohnette displays his usual perfection on the drum kit. But it's how Brackeen lights up the keyboard that lights up all the happy neurons in whatever part of my brain processes music. She's just nothing short of astonishing.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States
  • Posted: 05/22/2024 23:34
  • Post subject:
Cozy Cole - Drum Beat for Dancing Feet
Year: 1963
Style or Subgenre: Swing

I honestly didn't take to this as much as I had hoped. I had heard Cozy Cole was a wicked hot trumpeter, so I went in expecting something along the lines of Roy Eldridge or maybe Bix Biederbecke. But no fireworks here. This is a rather middle of the road swing album, maybe even a little generic. Of course the title tipped me off that this wasn't going to be all about valves greased with lightning, but I have heard some swing albums with some really hot soloing, so I maintained that expectation. Then it turns out Cozy isn't even a trumpeter, but rather a drummer! Streaming this without the benefit of liner notes, it would have never crossed my mind he wasn't the trumpeter, and certainly not as the drummer since Gene Krupa is listed prominently on the cover as well. One interesting device is how multiple drummers are employed here. One plays the basic swing rhythm, while the other mimics the pattern of what a tap dancer would do with the music. Sometimes it was pretty interesting, but it eventually sounded a little gimmicky and became a bit of a distraction.

As a general swing album, this is fine, but even there I think I've got enough better examples that this probably won't get many more spins.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States
  • Posted: 05/23/2024 23:31
  • Post subject:
Blue Mitchell - Out of the Blue
Year: 1959
Style or Subgenre: Hard Bop

This is a really sweet hard bop date with the nicely toned trumpeter Blue Mitchell leading an all star ensemble through a nicely varied set of six cuts. We start with an exceptional mid-tempo blues in "Blues On My Mind." Mitchell takes the first solo and his tone is perfectly balanced between brassy and warm. I really didn't want it to end, but then when Benny Golson jumps in on the sax, I immediately settle into his superb line choices. Then Wynton Kelly comes in on the keys and quickly reminds me of why I love Wynton Kelly on the Keys. Even the bass solo is outstanding, but it is Paul Chambers, so not too surprising. And the drummer? None other than Mr. Jazz Messenger himself, Art Blakey. 'Nuff said.

On "It Could happen to you," Mitchell grabs the mute and plays beautifully, but Kelly really brings out the loveliness in this one. Then comes the most up-tempo tune on the album, "Boomerang," with Golson taking the first solo and showing incredible dexterity. The following "Sweet-Cakes" is super swinging hard bop fun for all.

The fifth cut, "Missing You" is a most glorious ballad with Mitchell's lovely trumpet tone and calm expressiveness maximizing the listening experience. A real highlight. The closing "When the Saints Go Marching In" is a more than adequate rework to justify its inclusion on the album. CD reissues add a bonus cut, "Studio B," which is also a fun listen, but not essential.

Blues On My Mind

Link

Missing You

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States
  • Posted: 05/25/2024 00:42
  • Post subject:
Raphael Rogiński – Talàn
Year: 2023
Style or Subgenre: Experimental Folk Jazz, Free Improvisation

This 2023 release by Polish Guitarist Raphael Rogiński is an entirely solo affair in which his electric guitar often sounds more like a primitive folk stringed instrument. The playing is sparse and meditative, inspired by his time on the shores of the black sea. It is experimental and highly improvisational with slight semblances of structure flowing organically in a free, reflective stream of consciousness sort of way. It's not for anyone looking for a standard head/solos/head form, but can be captivating if the listener is able to tune out everything else and tune in to the unique flow presented here.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States
  • Posted: 05/25/2024 20:32
  • Post subject:
Akira Ishikawa - Uganda
Year: 1972
Style or Subgenre: World Jazz

I know the term "world jazz" is now out of favor, but what else would you call a Japanese drummer leading a set of American style avant fusion over African beats? This thing has energy and is willing to color outside any lines you care to set for it. It is an exciting listen.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States
  • Posted: 05/26/2024 15:19
  • Post subject:
Alexis Parsons - Alexis
Year: 1962
Style or Subgenre: Vocal Jazz

My Saturday Night Vocals selection this week was one of my recent fundraiser acquisitions, the always interesting Alexis Parsons. She can bring the drama to the low and slow or she can swing like mad. Her voice occasionally takes on an almost husky quality which works sometimes better than others, but she is always distinctive, and she has chops to spare to go with that distinctiveness. As such, this cant help but be a welcome addition to my vocal jazz collection.

Easy to Love

Link

I Didn't Know What Time It Was

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States
  • Posted: 05/27/2024 22:06
  • Post subject:
Jack Van Poll - Hi Jackin'
Year: 1972
Style or Subgenre: Soul Jazz, Jazz funk

With Mary Hehuat on bass and Ruud Pronk on drums, keyboardist Jack Van Poll and his Fender Rhodes lay down some of the grooviest trio tunes you could ever hope to hear. Soulful and funky, these cats find the deepest groove possible for each of these tunes, from overabused warhorses to the totally obscure. A super fun listen.

Ain't No Sunshine

Link

Objizdka

Link

Oh, Happy Day

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States
  • Posted: 06/01/2024 22:10
  • Post subject:
Manu Katche - Neighbourhood
Year: 2006
Style or Subgenre: Continental Jazz, Modern Creative, Progressive Jazz

Always a bridesmaid, never a bride? Not for drummer Manu Katche, who made the transition from longtime sideman to first time leader with this marvelous ECM release. Helping make this such a joy are how his sidemen, including the sublime Marcin Wasilewski on piano, the superb Jan Garbarek on sax, and the always special Tomasz Stanko on trumpet. In ECM style, this is on the easy listening side of jazz, but not quite as sparse as their often Nordic/Northern European musings often are. The group dance around the edges of smooth jazz at times without ever crossing the line, and the result is a mighty fine listen.
  • Visit poster's website