How Do you Respond to Top 40 Garbage?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 12/08/2011 18:45
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
Taric wrote:
I tend to ignore it. I don't expect anyone to share my taste and playing good music in certain places just feels wrong, how odd that even sounds.

Reminds of something said by Frank Zappa about how some music was purchased like wallpaper in the 80's

This?

The manner in which Americans "consume" music has a lot to do with leaving
it on their coffee tables, or using it as wallpaper for their lifestyles,
like the score of a movie -- it's consumed that way without any regard for
how and why it was made.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 12/08/2011 21:59
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Romanelli wrote:
My two cents...

You are obviously someone who is very passionate about your music. Don't give in and compromise your beliefs to be socially acceptable. Be who you are. You will find people who are more like minded. The people you are going to ultimately have stick around in your life are going to be the people who you have important things in common with. And music is important. And you will ultimately find the girls who you have important things in common with much more satisfying.

Being true to yourself is requesting NIN at a wedding because that's who you are...not pretending to like the Black Eyed Pee to fit in.

Bullshit. That's just immature.

That pop shit isn't "repugnant", it won't bleed your ears to listen to it, listening to it during social events shouldn't be such a fucking big deal. Yeah, you know what? Musical taste is a big deal for me, but I don't let it decide my friends and I won't be that closed-minded when I'm going out with friends who don't have the same musical taste as me. I'm not PRETENDING to like Britney Spears, they all know I'm not really a fan, but if I'm with them I'll listen to it anyway, because it isn't all about me and won't KILL me to listen to their music. "Being who you are" doesn't have to include being a snob to everyone who doesn't like what you like.

Can I agree with both of you?

As I said before, tolerating and liking something aren't the same thing. I completely agree with Romanelli that you shouldn't just "follow the cool kids" in everything they do, even if that means pretending to like some crap music (of course, in his/hers opinion) and going to a party trying to dance to it even if you feel like an asshole doing it (unless you think you could get laid Think ... But I couldn't, honestly, I get too awkward doing this).
But yeah, that still shouldn't mean that you should ignore or think less of people because of their different music taste, and I agree with what Jack said here.

Also, may I just add that "Be yourself" or "Be who you are" are BS advices to give to somebody
  • Visit poster's website
Taric

Netherlands

• Posted: 12/08/2011 23:28
  • Post subject:
Yourselfisntsteam wrote:
an_outlaw wrote:
Taric wrote:
I tend to ignore it. I don't expect anyone to share my taste and playing good music in certain places just feels wrong, how odd that even sounds.

Reminds of something said by Frank Zappa about how some music was purchased like wallpaper in the 80's

This?

The manner in which Americans "consume" music has a lot to do with leaving
it on their coffee tables, or using it as wallpaper for their lifestyles,
like the score of a movie -- it's consumed that way without any regard for
how and why it was made.

I've never heard that quote but that's basically what I meant. I think all music has a purpose, whether it be dancing in a club, drinking in a pub or lounging in a comfy chair (ranked worst to best in my humble personal opinion).
  • Visit poster's website
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 12/09/2011 19:06
  • Post subject:
I just look at the pictures .... Makes an artist like Shakira really worthy then.

In my days the solution was university bars or places where students hung out. The dancing in those places was much much less top 40 oriented and the ladies no less interesting.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
jbarajas

United States

• Posted: 12/09/2011 20:11
  • Post subject:
applerill how old are you??? you know the best solution is to go to the bar and get yourself more than a few drinks... you'll love all of the top 40 hits then.

I 've worked at weddings many many times.... and dj's always plays the same stuff... I gotta feeling, can't stop believing, cupid shuffle will always be played.

As Hayden said it always varies on the crowd, but my best advice for you is to get hammered and enjoy the people around you.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 12/09/2011 20:21
  • Post subject:
...jbarajas is totally right with that one, alcohol makes anything withstandable. But you're like, 14, right? So you can't drink legally anyhow. Not that that'll stop you, it sure as hell never stopped me ;)

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website