Chart issue

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Xavygravy

• Posted: 12/17/2011 22:43
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I also disagree with you Xavy.

If you don't want people commenting on your 2010's chart, delete it until you can construct a better one. Neutral

As naples said, "The measure was instituted to curtail spiteful comments and ratings".

I've already addressed this above.
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 12/17/2011 22:52
  • Post subject:
Also, if 'the measure' is about reciprocity, then why can users with NO decade chart rate another person's decade chart? The recipient of the ratings/comments has no way of reciprocating on the corresponding decade chart of the other user, since they don't have one.
Now imagine that the person with no decade charts actually has one, but it is closed. It's still the same scenario.
d'oh!

So basically, there are two options:
1) only allowing ratings of other charts where you have the same corresponding chart (a little ridiculous, especially considering lower-level users won't be able to rate half the charts then)
2) allow ratings/comments of other charts, as long as you have your overall chart allowing feedback

Any other option is not an effective measure.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/17/2011 22:53
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
I disagree. The measure was instituted to curtail spiteful comments and ratings. It has generally worked.

Yes, this is the reason things are like they are, and this is something that is not going to change. You have to realize how annoyed some people get when people leave zero ratings or troll on other people's charts. I only wish the same thing could be done on the album pages.
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 12/17/2011 22:56
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:
I disagree. The measure was instituted to curtail spiteful comments and ratings. It has generally worked.

Yes, this is the reason things are like they are, and this is something that is not going to change. You have to realize how annoyed some people get when people leave zero ratings or troll on other people's charts. I only wish the same thing could be done on the album pages.

Have you read the above?
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2011 22:58
  • Post subject:
Option 3 (the best option and current rule): all your charts must permit inbound feedback or you can't give outbound feedback.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/17/2011 23:00
  • Post subject:
I think the post crossed over, but it's not going to change because it opens up a loophole for somebody to exploit. Maybe a better idea is to introduce an option to set your chart as 'draft', and visible to you only until you have finished it.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2011 23:03
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
I think the post crossed over, but it's not going to change because it opens up a loophole for somebody to exploit. Maybe a better idea is to introduce an option to set your chart as 'draft', and visible to you only until you have finished it.

Great idea Idea Applause
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 12/17/2011 23:08
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Maybe a better idea is to introduce an option to set your chart as 'draft', and visible to you only until you have finished it.

I think this is a great idea.

albummaster wrote:
I think the post crossed over, but it's not going to change because it opens up a loophole for somebody to exploit.

But still, I think you are wrong here. If someone wants to give low ratings, they will, unless they care about their chart ratings. In this case where they care about their chart ratings, and as a mentioned before: there is no difference (counter-exploitation-wise) between someone with only an overall chart, and someone with an overall chart and other charts that don't allow feedback.
As for hateful comments, these can be downvoted and reported, so there is no problem there.

Also, I think if the members here put their heads together, we could find a good solution to low/troll ratings on albums, bands and songs as well.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2011 23:18
  • Post subject:
It looks like you can fix your problem now by allowing feedback on all your charts. Perhaps we will have the ability to create non-posted draft charts in the future. The site also uses Bayesian statistics to counter the outliers.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/17/2011 23:24
  • Post subject:
Xavygravy wrote:
albummaster wrote:
I think the post crossed over, but it's not going to change because it opens up a loophole for somebody to exploit.

But still, I think you are wrong here. If someone wants to give low ratings, they will, unless they care about their chart ratings. In this case where they care about their chart ratings, and as a mentioned before: there is no difference (counter-exploitation-wise) between someone with only an overall chart, and someone with an overall chart and other charts that don't allow feedback.

Having the 'draft' option would, in your case. allow you to post comments as you already have another chart which is live. It uses so much time up dealing with pissed off people, and things are pretty settled at the moment. I don't see why things should be changed back. We are talking about a very small number of people here who have disabled feedback. Most people do this because they don't want to get involved in debate. In your case, it was because your chart wasn't finished and I've proposed a solution to that.

Xavygravy wrote:
Also, I think if the members here put their heads together, we could find a good solution to low/troll ratings on albums, bands and songs as well.

yes. there is definitely going to be a change to the way average ratings are calculated to make them less malleable. something for 2012...
  • Visit poster's website