This article pisses me off, so I thought I'd make a topic.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 01/21/2012 00:55
  • Post subject:
Chemical Smile wrote:
Nirvana's biggest singles:

Link

sounds like:

Link

&

Link

ripped off:

Link

maybe not as ground breaking as thought... d'oh!

Okay, I listened to the Killing Joke tune. I will concede that the guitar riff is strikingly similar. Nevertheless, there's a lot more to the song than the guitar riff, and let's face it, Nevermind isn't exactly known for its innovative riffing patterns...

Though I never really thought Come as You Are was one of the album's better tunes, anyway.
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 01/21/2012 01:08
  • Post subject:
please don't post any boston videos ever again.
  • Visit poster's website
Mind Movie

• Posted: 01/21/2012 01:20
  • Post subject:
Mind Movie wrote:
Let's not forget that Killing Joke ripped of "Life Goes On" by The Damned to begin with (which is from 1982). Now it would be fun if The Damned had actually ripped it from someone else.

Link

Just had to quote this, as Killing Joke doesn't deserve any credit at all.
monosyllables

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2012 04:53
  • Post subject:
I mean, Curt admits to ripping off the strumming pattern from "More Than a Feeling" in "Smells Like Teen Spirit;" He also insists that it's at least partly ripped off from Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla"
Nevermind might not be my favorite Nirvana album, but I think Wayne is railing a little hard against it, and it's tough to figure out why. It seems strange that he's so against the concept of an album focused around suffering and angst, but I guess that's just Wayne's preference in music.
I think an album can be beautiful through any one of a number of thematic emotional extremes, with the possible hard-line exception of hate. (Different, in my mind, from hatred)
  • Visit poster's website
gtroda

• Posted: 01/24/2012 13:01
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Nevermind is a more radio friendly version of 1980s alternative rock. Probably the first album like that to really go mainstream, so yeah I actually think it did change the music industry, along with Pearl Jam's Ten... The question is if that's a good thing, because it mostly inspired pale imitators than actual great bands

Proved my point right there. "along with..." means one album alone didn't do it. Pearl Jam's Ten, a few of Soundgarden's albums, Alice in Chains' Facelifet, Mother Love Bone's Apple, Green River's Rehab Doll, Nirvana's own Bleach: several albums now considered "grunge classics" were all released before Nevermind.
gtroda

• Posted: 01/24/2012 13:04
  • Post subject:
mancsoulsister wrote:
'Nevermind' pretty much single-handedly moved Indie/alternative music from underground to mainstream. All of a sudden Indie bands were in the charts and you could buy their stuff at mainstream record shops.

I would submit that REM's popularity with Green (1988) and Out of Time (1991 - 6 months before Nevermind) had just as much to do with that as Nevermind did.
gtroda

• Posted: 01/24/2012 13:13
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
You can really divide most average music listeners between those who shaped their musical identity before Nevermind, and those who did it after.

I don't really agree with that. I was in high school at the time and was the target audience. I was shaping my musical identity at that time. I still have two albums from 1991 in my top 5. Perhaps that's why I feel the importance of Nevermind is overblown. There was plenty of other good music being made around that same time.
Chemical Smile

Guatemala

• Posted: 01/24/2012 14:52
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Okay, I don't know the Killing Joke song (and can't listen to it right now because I'm listening to Toxicity), but Smells like Teen Spirit and More than a Feeling? Is that a joke?

Hayden wrote:
Yeah....

I can't find a resemblance Think

Jackwc wrote:
I TOTALLY agree with the Killing Joke one (they even ripped off the tone!) but yeah, your comparison between More Than A Feeling and Smells Like Teen Spirit is... a tad ridiculous...

I mean, I GUESS the chord progression is kinda similar, but really? They sound nothing alike. Where do you get that?

OK, seems i've ruffled a few feathers so let me explain a bit further - I came across the Come As You Are/Eighties riff similarity a while ago by accident and was a bit surprised by it,(although I'm sure it was already well known), the Teen Spirit/More Than A Feeling similarity I'd heard about all the way back in the 90's. I think I may even have read an interview where Kurt himself said he'd ripped off the song (or more specifically some of the chords). The chord progression is slightly similar (42 seconds in on More Than A Feeling), I didn't offer up either examples as a diss or insult to Nirvana or any fans, just thought I'd share something I found interesting....

• Posted: 01/24/2012 21:01
  • Post subject:
gtroda wrote:
mancsoulsister wrote:
'Nevermind' pretty much single-handedly moved Indie/alternative music from underground to mainstream. All of a sudden Indie bands were in the charts and you could buy their stuff at mainstream record shops.

I would submit that REM's popularity with Green (1988) and Out of Time (1991 - 6 months before Nevermind) had just as much to do with that as Nevermind did.

and I would submit that that is not the case... yes REM were popular and the albums you name are good ones but they weren't 'influential'.

It's ok if you don't like Nevermind or Nirvana... but it's release really was a game changer. At the time Nevermind came out I was 20 and had been into Indie music for about 6 years. Indie was completely underground, only freaks and weirdos listened to Indie music when I was a teen. All that sort of changed and as Bork says in one of his posts the difference is like day and night from pre-Nevermind and post-Nevermind. I am not even saying that the changes were all good (for example the decline of the Indie record label) but they were quite marked...
gtroda

• Posted: 01/24/2012 21:34
  • Post subject:
No, don't get me wrong. I do like Nirvana. Nevermind is in my top 100. I even saw them in concert on the In Utero tour. I just don't think Nevermind is the end-all-be-all that it's made out to be.