Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2012 22:59
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Also, as has been steted many times on here before. If you have a problem with someone, go 2 that person with it first. Certainly before you go 2 the extreme antics of Wolf Rolling Eyes

Heed your own advice. Seems like you're always bitchin at somebody publicly.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/04/2012 23:08
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
GARY wrote:
Also, as has been steted many times on here before. If you have a problem with someone, go 2 that person with it first. Certainly before you go 2 the extreme antics of Wolf Rolling Eyes

Heed your own advice. Seems like you're always bitchin at somebody publicly.

O, that reminds me.

Never PM Naples Exclamation

He will post your PM in the forum. He has done it 2 me, he will do it 2 you also.

Thanks for the reminder Naples Very Happy

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
vesander

• Posted: 02/05/2012 04:33
  • Post subject: Re: Rap and Hip hop on Best Ever Albums?
Norman Bates wrote:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
As far as I can tell there's not a single Rap or Hip Hop album in the top 100. What's up with that does noone here like the genre?

Why not?

This interesting question has been raised many times over the years at BEA, and I think the answers you get here are pretty accurate (except for Barajas of course). It's all a question of audience of the site, people here are more into indie rock stuff than anything else (and that's counting myself, to be frank). Personally I like rap very much, but discovered it way after every other genre that might have mattered for me ; hence the relatively small proportion of rap in my charts - it simply wasn't the culture I was raised in, even though I was born in the 70s. I'm still catching up Smile and hope I'll be for quite some time too! So much great music to be listened to in rap.

People here may be "more into indie rock", but if you check the major music sources (Rolling Stone, Spin, NME, etc.), you typically will find bands like Radiohead, The Smiths, Joy Division, Sonic Youth and Arcade Fire very high on their lists too. It could be that people who listen to a ton of music (let's call them "experts") just think those are truly better albums.

What I'm saying is I don't think indie is all that much more emphasized here than many of the traditional sources.
  • Visit poster's website
vesander

• Posted: 02/05/2012 04:46
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
I'm a musician and love hip-hop. There are plenty of musicians that do. I really don't think you can attribute not enjoying it that much to that. Sometimes you just don't like genres as much as other people. I struggle with Metal (but I'm trying!) for no other eason than I struggle with the genre.

The problem with hip hop is that most of the stuff you hear is just so unbearably ignorant and 1-note. You want to fuck a girl with a big ass... oh and make lots of money - we get it. And the thing is it's gotten more stupid with time not less. There is good stuff out there, but you have to work so hard to find it that people stop searching. Anyway should it be so hard and should anyone really make an extra effort to seek out quality in specific genres? If so, then why not give every genre the same shot? I find that there are people who make excessive efforts to like jazz or hip hop but not death metal or elektro industrial. Why not?

Personally I'm always scanning multiple genres for new and interesting stuff but I'm not going to beat my head against a wall until I force myself to love dub step.
  • Visit poster's website
vesander

• Posted: 02/05/2012 04:58
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
I appreciate your position, Norman, but the thing about racism is that it can only be helped with silence, not hindered. I'm not at all trying to apply that you guys are "accomplices" with Gary or barajas but racists, by nature, take silence as a sort of tacit acceptance of their views. These are ideas that need to be countered swiftly and aggressively no matter where you see them. I'm not even saying it'll do any good in this case, but it can't hurt. At best you change someone's mind, at worst you piss off a bigot.

I don't know if I actually will be taking that long of a break from BEA...I didn't announce it on this thread to be a drama queen, since I hate that kind of shit, I just wanted people to know that I found those views unacceptable and didn't wish to be a part of a community that accepted them. I grew up in a very ethnically diverse community, with a lot of friends who are very involved with social justice; these things are a big sore spot for me and it's likely that my haste to leave was poorly thought out. I DO need to think about where I stand with these forums, but it would be a shame to lose a lot of good conversation with a lot of smart, funny people just because a few unfortunate souls rub me the wrong way.

We shall see, I suppose.

I really couldn't disagree more. It's almost like you've never used the internet. Silence is the killer. It is far from "tacit acceptance". Silence stifles stupidity. In fact, your rant (half valid / half sanctimonious and tiresome) is exactly what a guy like that wants in return... more attention. Attention is his form of acceptance and you give him an audience. You are the oxygen to his fire. If you had left it alone for the moderators to handle the nonsense would have died in the vacuum. Instead we had pages of uselessness. Like Norman Bates said, we ended up having a prolonged discussion on race and BS.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 02/05/2012 05:02
  • Post subject:
Genre snobs are dumb bitches.

Link

By posting this video I am in no way supporting Banksy - he's a talentless hack of a painter

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
jbarajas0490

• Posted: 02/06/2012 03:30
  • Post subject:
now this is an entertaining thread! all because of one simple word i said, and thanks for throwing my facebook out there!
  • Visit poster's website