Song that would have been a huge hit if only...

View previous topic :: View next topic
demetrios

Greece

• Posted: 02/12/2012 19:36
  • Post subject: Song that would have been a huge hit if only...
http://www.nme.com/nme-video/blur---ten...2311462001

NME recently published a top 10 list of the best blur songs.
And rightfully so (imho) This is a low is on the top of the list.
I know for a fact that a lot of blur fans (myself included) believe that had this song been released as a single, it could have been their biggest hit.

So... I was wondering do YOU have any songs in mind, that have not been released a a single, but had they been, they would have been BIG?
I'm not asking about "favourite" songs. I'm talking about hit potential...

(and don't give me Beatles songs. We all know that 90% of Beatles songs have hit potential) Smile Wink
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 02/12/2012 19:49
  • Post subject:
I know I bring up the Manic Street Preachers a lot and I know it may not be healthy. I mean, what was that wise artist called who sang about too much of anything being bad for you? Think I can't quite remember.

Anyway, both the b-sides for 'If You Tolerate This...' could have been as big a hits as the single they were on. Come on! Listen to both of them and tell me Nicky's dreams of Trans Atlantic number 1's on the Manic Street Preachers 5th shoot are too far fetched! Both the B-sides for this one song had bigger single potential than every song on 'This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours' other than the aforementioned song.

SOMEONE! SOMEBODY! ANYBODY who brought the 'If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next' Cd 1 when it was released please back me up on this. Or you know, disagree with me or whatever.

The songs are called 'Prologue to History' and 'Montana/Autumn/78'. Both far more upbeat than anything on 'This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours'.

Prologue to History

Link

Montana/Autumn/78

Link
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2012 20:46
  • Post subject:
Here Is No Why by the Pumpkins...surprisingly there aren't any studio version videos on youtube that I can find.

Link

Old Enough by the Raconteurs. There's a good 4 or 5 songs from this album that could have been big hits had they been released.

Link

Gonna See My Friend by Pearl Jam. I thought they would have released this song off their latest album for sure.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/13/2012 00:23
  • Post subject:
I think my favourite Blur track is End Of The Century but I'm not really a huge fan.

As for the question, well I know The Killers aren't exactly the coolest band but track ten from Hot Fuss, Midnight Show I'm surprised they never released as a single because it's actually a really great track and stronger than some of the singles they did release.

Lounge Act from Nirvana
Respect from Biggie

A few tracks from The Wall would be better known if they were released on single, like Hey You or One Of My Turns, not exactly radio friendly though.

I'm sure there's loads more.