BestEverReadings.com BestEverMovies.com BestEverGames.com

View previous topic :: View next topic
amin67

• Posted: 10/06/2009 18:39
  • Post subject: BestEverReadings.com BestEverMovies.com BestEverGames.com
It's a dream for me to have all these sites. the idea is great and i consider it as the best way to rank works. site's that make rankings regarded to the average rating by their users are in the wrong way, this is how it dose work really. although it could work better if you had limitations on chart counting (like number of albums so that charts by few albums does not count or have less scores, thus one's who cannot rank 50 albums don't have as acclaim as others)
but all in all there is no better procedure in making overall charts. it would be great if the same was done for movies, novels, games and other fields.

i wonder if already such sites exist or if you are planning to expand your work to those fields?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin
  • Posted: 10/06/2009 21:54
  • Post subject:
thanks for the feedback, but there's no plans for more sites at the moment. This site is more than enough work to keep running smoothly.

I like your idea about bigger charts contributing more weighting but the downside to that is that it doesn't automatically mean that the bigger chart is better quality than the smaller one and it penalises some people who might want a smaller chart (like me!) We know the method that we have here isn't perfect, but it is fair to everybody in that everyone has an equal say.

albummaster
  • Visit poster's website
amin67

• Posted: 10/07/2009 21:23
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
thanks for the feedback, but there's no plans for more sites at the moment. This site is more than enough work to keep running smoothly.

I like your idea about bigger charts contributing more weighting but the downside to that is that it doesn't automatically mean that the bigger chart is better quality than the smaller one and it penalises some people who might want a smaller chart (like me!) We know the method that we have here isn't perfect, but it is fair to everybody in that everyone has an equal say.

albummaster

there is a lot of charts with only one entry,
if you think that less albums in a chart dose not mean less quality, please limit your valid charts to those with at least 50 albums, i did this with great labor and a plenty of time, the result was interesting, commercial albums lose their scores, meaningless differences in scores are no longer seen, and it's working better critically, if you are eager i can post the result for at the first 250 albums.
people like me think that 50 is not enough to rank best albums of all time, and guys who don't know 50 albums all in all can make a chart with 10 albums and give a 100 score for their top ranked album.
if you want to keep the scoring fair and get better result use this scoring format:
the basement of the chart will get 1, the album in top of that will get a 2, and so on, thus a chart with 10 albums have a value equal to 55 score and it's top album has 10, and a album with 50 albums have a value equal to 1275, and it's top album will get 50.
and if you wonder what will become of charts with 100 albums, well they will get largest scores, coz they are all charts made by expert music writers and magazines, and i think they are more important, but you may not let users to have more than 50 albums in their charts, nor magazine charts to have more than 100 valid albums
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
amin67

• Posted: 10/07/2009 21:28
  • Post subject:
and if you're afraid that your visitors will not be happy with the new scoring system i can only say that this site is in it's hey days and it's better to alter it now than when you have a larger number of visitors.
it's easier to tame a kid! Exclamation
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin
  • Posted: 10/08/2009 06:21
  • Post subject:
interesting idea, I might run some data through a simulator to see what difference it would make.

One downside is that people might create bigger charts just to get a higher score and fill the chart with 'filler' albums to get the bigger chart. That would mean not all the albums on the site are high quality enough to be here. At the moment, there is no incentive to add 'filler' because everything is equal.
  • Visit poster's website