nationality and music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 04/11/2012 17:04
  • Post subject:
Pakistan is not exactly know for making the most brilliant albums Confused

Some Pakistani artists have become famous (Junoon, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, etc.) but the focus is more on songs and single tracks, not albums. Which is why original albums of artists are really hard to find here.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/11/2012 17:15
  • Post subject:
At the moment, my overall music knowledge is poor but.. as someone born and raised in America (and therefore being most exposed to American music), today I only remain a strong liking to three of their bands/artists: Neutral Milk Hotel, Joanna Newsom, and Liars. I sort of like Sonic Youth, Flaming Lips, and Pixies and listen to them on occasion but it seems that none of their albums will ultimately make my chart. Maybe Sonic Youth.

So far I'm too ashamed to make my chart public but... right now it slightly favors the UK. I've grown tired of English speaking music as of late though, so I'm spending more time checking out other countries. I absolutely love the band Boredoms from Japan. Highly, highly underrated in the overall bands and albums charts.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 04/11/2012 17:34
  • Post subject:
I know I'm nationalistic regarding Canadian albums. They are scattered throughout my chart, and I feel all warm and fuzzy when non-Canadians like them. We have this weird fixation on whether America recognizes our music. Sadly, apart from Arcade Fire and the classics (Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen), most of the stuff that crosses the border is shite (Celine Dion, Nickleback, Justin Beiber, Bryan Adams). There's so much quality here beyond Arcade Fire, you can forgive me if I flog it a bit too much.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/11/2012 17:38
  • Post subject:
I think everyone should expand his/her taste of music, but the kind of music which is popular everywhere today, i.e. western pop/rock music, has its roots in a certain culture and these genres are represented better in the west and specially in the English language. So trying to find better albums of these genres in Eastern countries, IMO, won't be so fruitful. But other genres, specially national/traditional music can provide us with great stuff, such as Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Alim Qasimov.

I live in Iran and I can assure you that there is no album in pop/rock genres worth listening to here, so don't search for it. No Persian rock album can get a 20 out of 100 rating from me.
Mind Movie

• Posted: 04/11/2012 18:55
  • Post subject:
I listen to a lot of hindustani classical music.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 04/12/2012 03:57
  • Post subject:
Mind Movie wrote:
I listen to a lot of hindustani classical music.

I listen to that a bit only. Mostly to get a taste of what the classics from the countries around me are too.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RyanF1

Sweden

• Posted: 04/12/2012 20:09
  • Post subject:
I think I definitely do show some bias towards Scottish albums, I'm one of only 10 people to have High Land, Hard Rain by Aztec Camera on my chart Laughing but it's only natural to favour artists from your own country. Being Scottish, there's [;enty of good music to choose from Wink
Chemical Smile

Guatemala

• Posted: 04/12/2012 21:53
  • Post subject:
lancashirearab wrote:
I have bumped this old topic because I feel that I have a strong affection to Scottish bands in comparison to other UK bands. I have asked the mods to consider splitting the UK nationality into one each for the 4 home nations. What do you
think? My charts have a heavy weighting towards Scottish bands in relation to Scotland's small population. It would be nice to be able to show that on the site.

I'm half Scottish (me & my brother being the only born outside the ol' country), 2 of my favourite bands are from Scotland: Frightened Rabbit & Idlewild.
Growing up in NZ i have a huge passion for NZ music - specifically from the '90's - and despite Polythene Pams immature, misguided views on those artists, i strongly urge people to check out said artists - i still listen to most of them to this day!
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2012 08:05
  • Post subject:
I speak German and appreciate a lot of German music. But I do agree that I don't "gel" with German music on a whole as well as I do with American/British/Australian/Irish/Canadian/Scottish, etc. music.

I would like to take this a bit further and argue that although we live in an age that understands racism as one of the worst paradigms one could waste their time viewing the world from, we have kinda gone back to the days of the 50s when white people listened to white music and well, you get the point.

There is a thread on here about hip-hop being under appreciated, and I think it is because whitey can't play the funky music. I remember going to see U2 with Black Eyed Peas opening for them. That didn't mix with the crowd well because "hip-hop" is black folk music and not on par with U2. We look to artists like Jimi Hendrix and Little Richard and say, oh ya, I like black musicians, but it is more like, I like the white accepted black musicians.

Don't get me wrong- I am sure every white person on here could name a black artist they like. I am not saying that they couldn't. What I am saying is, is I think there is still a prejudice and segregation with "white" music and "black" music.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/13/2012 08:48
  • Post subject:
One useless fact is that flamenco's roots were from Indian music (from gypsies who settled in Andalucia), if you listen to the rhythms you can still hear the similarity. I enjoy listening to a lot Indian music, particularly the percussion and the interesting beats.
  • Visit poster's website