Downloading out of print albums

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 06/14/2012 16:22
  • Post subject: Downloading out of print albums
I don't download music illegally. I've no problems with people who do, and I have no intentions in teaching other people that illegal downloading is bad. I just don't do it myself. I think it's because of a combination of morality and the fact that I'm still young and don't feel like I have to know every piece of music ever released yet. I like to smell the roses and really enjoy what I discover, which I think that downloading would prevent me from doing.

But I've realised that you can't buy every single album in the world. Many albums are out of print. And as my music taste grows, there's many out of print albums which I'm really interested in.

What inspired me to start this thread is a french music duo called Natural Snow Buildings. The music crowd which I often find to be reliable to my own taste goes crazy about them. Especially their album called The Dance of the Moon and Sun, which many consider to be the greatest album ever released. But all Natural Snow Buildings' releases are limited to extremely few copies. This makes it impossible to achieve their music in any ways except for the illegal ways.

This leaves me with the question whether or I should ignore my principles in this case (or in any case where the albums can't be achieved otherwise). What do you think? Does any of you deal with similar thoughts?

• Posted: 06/14/2012 16:32
  • Post subject: Re: Downloading out of print albums
I don't download music, largely for the same reasons as you. I'm also super OCD about my music collection and refuse to upload an album to my iTunes unless I actually have a physical copy of it (and I mean an official physical copy; no burned CDs). Now, I have yet to come across anything that is out-of-print, but in the event that I did, I just say "fuck it" and let myself download it and get a burned copy of it.

However, certainly almost any CD (even ones that are out of print) would be available on Amazon or Ebay? Have you checked there yet?

• Posted: 06/14/2012 16:36
  • Post subject:
I download every new release I fancy listening to, and if I like something I then ask my local indie record store (Banquet Records in Kingston, in case you ask) to order it in for me. Obviously, with my favourite artists I don't even bother downloading first as I know I will buy the album when it is released.

I understand your principles, but I am not affluent enough to buy 4 or 5 albums a week.

Also, don't feel guilty about illegally downloading albums you can't find. I'm sure the artist themselves would encourage it (mostly).
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 06/14/2012 16:37
  • Post subject: Re: Downloading out of print albums
swedenman wrote:
However, certainly almost any CD (even ones that are out of print) would be available on Amazon or Ebay? Have you checked there yet?

Yeah. Amazon doesn't have it. I saw it on Ebay once (not currently there), but the starting bid was around 170$, and people were willing to pay even more.
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 06/14/2012 16:46
  • Post subject:
This sort of thing bugs me. I have downloaded a share of hard to find or out of print albums, but feel a lot of moral greyness in the issue. If its the case that a band is purposely releasing very limited copies of their music, it is potentially justifiable. On another note, buying a used copy of something online or otherwise, the money then won't be going to the artist anyways....so does downloading make a difference anyways? I really do not know.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 06/14/2012 16:49
  • Post subject:
Yourselfisntsteam, will you please tell me the name of that black metal band that is run by a Neo-Nazi (or a right wing) asshole?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 06/14/2012 16:56
  • Post subject:
Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:
Yourselfisntsteam, will you please tell me the name of that black metal band that is run by a Neo-Nazi (or a right wing) asshole?

Hey! I deleted that part of my post because it was irrelevent. For those not eggman, I had written something asking about the moral greyness of downloading stuff by extreme right wing groups. Peste Noire, Burzum and I think others run on that area. Well, its common knowledge that the Burzum dude killed another musician, and I think all sorts of bomb ingredients or stuff was found at his home as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varg_Vikernes

• Posted: 06/14/2012 17:03
  • Post subject:
I couldn't possibly comment on neo-Nazi black metal (it's not my thing), but I regularly help to line-up the pockets of serial homophobes and misogynists. I try not to think about it and just enjoy the music.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 06/14/2012 17:21
  • Post subject:
Yourselfisntsteam wrote:
Hey! I deleted that part of my post because it was irrelevent. For those not eggman, I had written something asking about the moral greyness of downloading stuff by extreme right wing groups. Peste Noire, Burzum and I think others run on that area. Well, its common knowledge that the Burzum dude killed another musician, and I think all sorts of bomb ingredients or stuff was found at his home as well.

I was asking because it also happened to be the most interesting part of your whole post Razz
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 06/14/2012 17:44
  • Post subject:
Yourselfisntsteam wrote:

I don't think you could find a good black/death metal band that didn't do numerous illegal things. The black and death metal history of the 90s is actually fascinating stuff.
  • Visit poster's website