New Rock N Roll

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 08/02/2013 21:06
  • Post subject: New Rock N Roll
Rock N Roll needs a new stereotype to move forward. Like... everyone involved in it needs to find a new way to behave and copy each others. A new scene for Rock N Roll. Something different. Any ideas?
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 08/02/2013 21:18
  • Post subject:
I think rock music needs more African music. Yeah, we got Graceland and Vampire Weekend, and everyone and their mother was into the drummers of Burundi in the '80s, but I wanna hear some psychedelic electric kora over Gibby Haynes or a drone highlighted by some mbira.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 08/02/2013 22:24
  • Post subject:
I hope that the next rock revival will be something I couldn't expect or predict. If I had to guess, though, it will be very loud. Much like soft, sentimental indie music was the "rebellious" response to grunge/alternative in the 90s, I think there will be a backlash against the indietronica landfill. In fact, the situation right now is very similar to the mid-70s, when heavily produced art rock, such as Sgt. Pepper, Ziggy, and Dark Side of the Moon, were very trendy. The punk rock movement was the response back then... we can only hope for something half as interesting in the coming decade.
lightmyway
Swimming into view

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2013 01:11
  • Post subject:
I'd like to hear something new. I don't think stripping rock down yet again and getting loud will do it anymore. I like ppnw's idea of bringing in some world elements. Rock is sort of in hibernation right now with all these indie pop bands. The phase we're in right now reminds me a LOT of the days right before grunge when madchester and indie/synth pop were the chic sounds.
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 08/03/2013 09:59
  • Post subject:
I'd probably like the new rock movement to be some kind of fusion of two preexisting genres. I know it may seem a bit of a stretch but I could see some development in the works. For example, I could see a fusion of punk and classical or riff-rock with eastern influences or progressive rock mixed with some reggae - kind of like Easy Star All Stars.
Kiki

• Posted: 08/03/2013 11:31
  • Post subject:
I'm not talking about "genre" or what the music sounds like.

What I would like is a new way of doing things, a new idea, people dressing some other way, different tropes to do with Rock N Roll. Sex, Drugs and Rock N Roll is getting old. Festivals are corporate ventures.

How about ridding the notion of analyzing and critiquing the music. What would it be like without that? What about changing the song structures? Realizing on different formats?

I don't care how things actually sound. Also the idea of combining two "genres" is what produces the music which is usually bashed here, there and everywhere.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 08/03/2013 14:00
  • Post subject:
So you mean something analogous to, for example, the DIY ethic or glam fad?

Quote:
How about ridding the notion of analyzing and critiquing the music

I like this one. My wife likes to complain about how I'm too cerebral with music, how it should be okay for her to enjoy her Lady Gaga or Roger Miller just to have fun. Treating music as pure catharsis is vaguely primitivist, so the idea would probably be embraced (somewhat ironically) by critics. I still think that, whatever it is, it will be a response to existing fads, and if there's ever been an era when we're overanalyzing and overcomplicating music, it's right now.

How else can we simplify? We can't just strip down the production, because the garage rock fad has already come and gone. What if we did away with the lyrics, but kept the vocals? Or just kept the lyrics extremely simple and repetitive?

• Posted: 08/03/2013 15:08
  • Post subject: Re: New Rock N Roll
an_outlaw wrote:
Rock N Roll needs a new stereotype to move forward. Like... everyone involved in it needs to find a new way to behave and copy each others. A new scene for Rock N Roll. Something different. Any ideas?

Just copy Afrirampo. I think that band name translates roughly to "naked rock". Light clothing, but not necessarily sexual. Paint all over maybe, mostly lighter colors. Acting crazy and wild and careless behavior, in a let-loose, unhinged fun sort of way. Lyrics can include "dododododo" or "ayayayayeee" or "bom bom bom bom bom" or "woh woh woh waa" or "boko boko buuuh" or "brrrrrrrr", and of course, random screams of "WAAAAA" and "EEEEEEE". Lots of instrumental freak-outs. Lots of sing-along melodies, too. Oh, and have it done mostly by women. It's time for rock to be a mostly female sort of thing. Also, have all or most band members named after Pokemon.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/03/2013 17:16
  • Post subject:
Vuvuzelas man, vuvuzelas.
  • Visit poster's website
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 08/03/2013 17:35
  • Post subject: