Radiohead....emo?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
likedylan88

United States

• Posted: 06/07/2010 06:17
  • Post subject: Radiohead....emo?
Alright, so my friend is moving away for the summer in the morning, so we did one last epic burn cruise as a farewell. We somehow got into a discussion of best bands of all time, and I threw Radiohead into the conversation, which he shot down immediately.

So, I played him 5 Radiohead songs to try and change his mind. I chose what I believed were good starters, a little OK Computer with "Paranoid Android", "Let Down", and "Karma Police", as well as some of The Bends, ie, "Just", "My Iron Lung", and "Street Spirit".

After these songs were completed, he immediately reached for the dial and changed it, claiming it was horrible music, and calling it "emo trash" and "synthesized techno rubbish". I have no problem with people not liking bands I enjoy, but I found this assessment of one of my favorite bands to be very short sighted and downright incorrect.

Was this perhaps due to my choice in introductory songs to the Radiohead catalog, or is it just a case of differing taste in music?
  • Visit poster's website
mikeyskywalker

• Posted: 06/07/2010 06:20
  • Post subject:
Sounds like someone's too cool for Radiohead. Rolling Eyes
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 06/07/2010 06:41
  • Post subject:
Perhaps telling us what music he does like would be helpful in understanding his condition. Razz

...and by the way, synthesized techno rubbish? WTF? My only theory is he'd previously heard Kid A, didn't like it, and didn't actually listen to anything you'd just played.
  • Visit poster's website
likedylan88

United States

• Posted: 06/07/2010 06:50
  • Post subject:
His favorite bands are moe, Grateful Dead, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 06/07/2010 07:07
  • Post subject:
he's just into old classic rock apparently, and may be one of the puritan rock lovers who never followed and liked the introduction of the synth/electro sounds ...... or he's just a dumbass (in music.....hihi)
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 06/07/2010 07:19
  • Post subject:
It's funny how the terms "classic rock" and "emo"have been bandied about so much of late.

Have you tried The White Stripes? Based on the list you gave us, it seems like a band he might like. He might like The Hold Steady too.
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 06/07/2010 07:42
  • Post subject: Re: Radiohead....emo?
likedylan88 wrote:
I have no problem with people not liking bands I enjoy, but I found this assessment of one of my favorite bands to be very short sighted and downright incorrect. Was this perhaps due to my choice in introductory songs to the Radiohead catalog, or is it just a case of differing taste in music?

Go out on the street and ask 100 random people between the ages of 15 and 50 their opinion of Radiohead's music. 75 will have never heard of Radiohead. 10 will tell you that they are not sure if they like it or not. 10 will tell you that they don't care much for Radiohead. 5 people will tell you that Radiohead is one of the greatest bands ever.

Your friend prefers to listen to accomplished musicians playing guitars and drums. He also prefers to listen to talented singers. There is nothing wrong with that and there are lots of very good new and old bands who still deliver that music today. To name a few: The Allmans, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and all their friends are still as active as ever and Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi will continue to carry the mantle into the future.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 06/07/2010 09:44
  • Post subject:
Has a least one person in the world linked this "emo" tagging to some Brave New World conspiracy theory... ever? Confused I'm not saying I believe it but what if someone somewhere used this phenomenon as a way of attaching a stigma to all music with emotion.
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 06/07/2010 11:06
  • Post subject:
First of all, Radiohead was part of the "shoegazer" scene and predated "emo" by a decade.

Secondly, yes - many people never took to the whole synth thing. You'll notice though that very few musicians that didn't adopt some aspect of synth in their sound are still all that popular. It's a completely different type of music from classic rock, so people who are limited in their appreciation of music in general who are fans of guitar and/or drum-driven rock would not like them. And don't think you're better than them - many people who like synth-driven music don't appreciate other styles of music, either.

The thing is, both synth and traditional instrument music requires most of the same conventions when composing music, and both have their challenges to learn and master.

That said, your friend clearly knows nothing of music and wasn't really listening to the music you played, since Bends is guitar-driven rock with real drums whereas OK Computer was mostly synth, so to label it all the same shows he had an opinion that can't be changed by fact. He's not going to be reasonable on this topic, and if you were to try to argue with him he'd give you an answer along the lines of "I like what I like".
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 06/07/2010 13:13
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
It's funny how the terms "classic rock" and "emo"have been bandied about so much of late.

Classic emo then?
  • Visit poster's website