Current year chart (& algorithm)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/10/2014 21:09
  • Post subject:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but doesn't this mean that only users with enough points to make a year chart can contribute to the site's 2014 chart? I thought that was something we were trying to avoid.

It wouldn't bother me either way. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing all of the main year charts compiled only from users' year charts. In the current system, users' year charts are given so little weight that they have virtually no influence on any of the site's rankings.
RepoMan

• Posted: 12/10/2014 23:08
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but doesn't this mean that only users with enough points to make a year chart can contribute to the site's 2014 chart? I thought that was something we were trying to avoid.

It wouldn't bother me either way. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing all of the main year charts compiled only from users' year charts. In the current system, users' year charts are given so little weight that they have virtually no influence on any of the site's rankings.

Yeah, I would love to see year charts get more weight in the rankings as well. I think they actually hold as much (if not more) useful information than the Overall charts tbh which mostly tend to highlight the same albums.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 12/11/2014 00:34
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:

Yeah, I was kind of thinking about this too, that said however I just had a look to see how many users are currently eligible to make year charts (Level 6+) and it turns out it's just short of 300 currently which was a pleasant surprise. It's strange to think that there are so many users active on BEA that have nothing to do with the forums... Think

• Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/11/2014 09:28
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the feedback everyone, nice to get both sides. Obviously, the reason BEA originally started was to try and work out some means of picking out the best albums of all time from the multitude of albums that have been released, and this is solely what the site was about for the first few years. Only relatively recently was the ability to add year and decade charts introduced, mainly to give people people something else to do on BEA once they'd made an overall chart.

This change still doesn't stop anybody putting a 2014 album in their overall chart, it just won't get any points (unless the chart is again updated in 2015) & it only affects the current year (& not any other years). Personally, I just see this as an algorithm change and not a change in the site philosophy. The prime motive is to improve the quality of the current year chart which at the moment is too susceptible to gaming (whether intended or not).

Regards the weighting of year charts points, when the year/decade/overall system was introduced it was always intended to look at rebalancing things (if it was necessary) once there was a sufficient set of data in the system. I'd be happy to look again in the new year to see if any improvements can be made.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2014 10:33
  • Post subject:
Hmm, if the effects of this will start to go away come January 1st, I think it'd be really cool for one of the options in the "Show this chart as it was on the following date" dropdown, we had the option for December 31st of whatever year it was. That would be the perfect snapshot of what the people in this community living through the year and devouring the music thought of it at the time.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/11/2014 10:44
  • Post subject:
secretdad wrote:
I think it'd be really cool for one of the options in the "Show this chart as it was on the following date" dropdown, we had the option for December 31st of whatever year it was. That would be the perfect snapshot of what the people in this community living through the year and devouring the music thought of it at the time.

Happy to add this (I'll add to the list)

EDIT: this is now done (all previous years in the pick list are now shown as per year-end)
  • Visit poster's website
Silver

• Posted: 12/15/2014 04:42
  • Post subject:
Cool seeing this in place, took a bit to get used to but I think it's a nice addition now that I'm seeing it. It'll be interesting seeing how things change throughout January as overalls started getting updated again and 2014 albums start getting back up in the top 1000.

Just a quick question though, for curiosity's sake. Does the change also apply to decade charts last updated in 2014, or is it just to overall charts?
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 12/15/2014 05:07
  • Post subject:
I think the decade charts are still counting, but since they max out at 10 points instead of 100, they seem a bit more reasonable.

And thanks for putting in that one view albummaster! I like to nerd out on these sorts of things so that's going to be seeing some use on my end for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
Martinborras
Embajador De La Mañana

Argentina

• Posted: 12/15/2014 21:52
  • Post subject:
Mmm, i dont think it is a great idea. I mean, for example (wich is true), if I had put Sun Structures by Temples in the 28th place in my Top 100 Greatest Music Albums chart, why would it not receive the points it deserves? it has to be interpretated like any other album, I think.

Greetings, and sorry for my spelling mistakes, if there is any.
  • Visit poster's website
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 12/16/2014 20:58
  • Post subject:
Martinborras wrote:
Mmm, i dont think it is a great idea. I mean, for example (wich is true), if I had put Sun Structures by Temples in the 28th place in my Top 100 Greatest Music Albums chart, why would it not receive the points it deserves? it has to be interpretated like any other album, I think.

Greetings, and sorry for my spelling mistakes, if there is any.

Of what I understood, the album will get full points when you update your overall chart in 2015.