BEA's Year-End List #8: Perfect Hair

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined

• Posted: 02/03/2015 17:26
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Oh, and anybody who likes this should definitely check out Open Mike Eagle's Dark Comedy, which is just as good as this, the same mixture of self-deprecation and wonderfully absurd wordplay. Basically two sides of the same coin.

Yeah gonna second this and also add on Milo's A Toothpaste Suburb, which is also wonderfully absurd in a more nerdy stream-of-consciousness way. (And to a lesser extent I'd also reccomend Nocando's Jimmy The Burnout.) All of these are from Nocan's LA label "Hellfyre Club" which is pretty much one of the most interesting places in hip-hop right now imo #gettoknow
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2015 17:36
  • Post subject:
I love this album and it's definitely my favorite Busdriver album. The lyrics and production are fantastic. I adore the second half in particular, as well as the "Ego Death" track, all three killed it on that. And I second the Dark Comedy recommendation.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2015 18:19
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Oh, and anybody who likes this should definitely check out Open Mike Eagle's Dark Comedy, which is just as good as this, the same mixture of self-deprecation and wonderfully absurd wordplay. Basically two sides of the same coin.

Seconded. I actually liked Dark Comedy more

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/03/2015 20:15
  • Post subject:
MrIrrelevant wrote:
Big year for hip-hop.

Not as big as 1998, a year in which hip-hop was so big that Juvenile managed to sell over four million copies of 400 Degreez, Lauryn Hill released the album that got her nominated for ten Grammys, and DMX put out two different triple-platinum albums. Sort of puts a few indie-rock publications naming Run The Jewels 2 as their album of the year into perspective.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/11/2015 03:34
  • Post subject:
Yeah, it's pretty fantastic but I admit for me I haven't really vibed off this year's hip-hop selections (even some of the one's among the best of), but as a longtime Busdriver fan this wasn't hard for me to like. I compare it to how I originally felt about Tangent as it only grew more favorable with each approaching listen. I mean my favorite the rapper's done is obvious Roadkillovercoat which I've argue did the whole balance of accessibility and abstract quirks that it seems Perfect Hair is getting, but however people get into Busdriver doesn't concern me as long as they ultimately do appreciate him as an innovator and creator.
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 02/11/2015 04:05
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Seconded. I actually liked Dark Comedy more

This, and I like Milo more.

I don't like Busdriver much

The nerdy aspect seems a little forced to me, but maybe that's my view on the criticism of it
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/11/2015 04:14
  • Post subject:
Quote:
The nerdy aspect seems a little forced to me,

Busdriver is way too kindred for him to be that sort of fake and contrived, you can see it as old as footage from the early 90s that his peers even thought along these lines. If memory serves, him and Pigeon John were seen as some of the chillest spirits around.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 02/11/2015 04:33
  • Post subject:
Precedent wrote:
This, and I like Milo more.

I don't like Busdriver much

The nerdy aspect seems a little forced to me, but maybe that's my view on the criticism of it

this confuses me seeing as Milo is infinitely more nerdy than Driver, (and honestly it doesn't feel forced in either case to me). Honestly that "nerdiness" just seems like such a natural part of his character, and is so integral to his style
Gowienczyk wrote:
I compare it to how I originally felt about Tangent as it only grew more favorable with each approaching listen. I mean my favorite the rapper's done is obvious Roadkillovercoat which I've argue did the whole balance of accessibility and abstract quirks that it seems Perfect Hair is getting, but however people get into Busdriver doesn't concern me as long as they ultimately do appreciate him as an innovator and creator.

Swap RKOC with Temporary Forever and this is basically my same sentiment