Point Of Dicussion: "World" Music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LevonTostig

• Posted: 02/24/2015 04:32
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
It actually is, since you're defining "the rest of the world" as non-westerners.

Acknowledging the fact that non-westerners are non-westerners is not ethnocentric. It doesn't imply that they're somehow inferior, merely that they aren't western.

I do like your terminology better, however. That's likely a good way to go about categorizing.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 02/24/2015 04:33
  • Post subject:
LevonTostig wrote:
Acknowledging the fact that non-westerners are non-westerners is not ethnocentric. It doesn't imply that they're somehow inferior, merely that they aren't western.

I do like your terminology better, however. That's likely a good way to go about categorizing.

To my understanding, the word "ethnocentric" doesn't carry a negative connotation - it merely refers to being relative to one's own nationality/culture.
  • Visit poster's website
LevonTostig

• Posted: 02/24/2015 04:36
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
To my understanding, the word "ethnocentric" doesn't carry a negative connotation - it merely refers to being relative to one's own nationality/culture.

Granted. I was thinking in debate terms...debaters will call others out on being ethnocentric on the basis that ethnocentrism causes bad things.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/24/2015 04:39
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:

To be honest, I prefer to use the term "[culture] folkloric music". So that way you can avoid the ethnocentrism and be more specific while maintaining the idea of a culture's specific musical traditions. Peruvian folkloric music is much more specific; free to use from any perspective, not only the western one; and less (albeit still some) of a blanket term and more of a genre.

Here we go with the flutes again.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 02/24/2015 05:34
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Here we go with the flutes again.

You never understand me, dad!
  • Visit poster's website
CubaZed

• Posted: 02/24/2015 05:49
  • Post subject:
LevonTostig wrote:

As long as you're defining it by terms relative to your culture, it really is ethnocentric. Calling something non-western isn't comparable to categorizing it western. Just like how calling something non-eastern isn't comparable to calling it eastern. By definition, defining something as an absence of what is relative to your culture is ethnocentric.
Silver

• Posted: 02/24/2015 06:34
  • Post subject:
To clarify, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong about using "world" music as an umbrella for disparate genres of music around the world, although I do prefer Defago's solution. The main problem I find is that people can very easily confound what is an umbrella term with being a genre itself, and that's where you start to see the lines being blurred and definitions break down, and pretty soon samba and afrobeat are considered the same thing because they're from that other part of the world where disease happens or something. As an umbrella, it's harmless, but only as long as people understand it as being an umbrella. Either way, there are better ways to phrase it for sure.
JMan

• Posted: 02/24/2015 17:14
  • Post subject: Re: Point Of Dicussion: "World" Music
I don't think of "world music" as a genre as much as I think of it as a classification of albums. But if there was a genre, I'd say that world music takes multiple cultural influences and puts them into single albums/songs, whereas worldbeat music takes multiple cultural influences (most notably afrobeat) and mixes it with traditional genres such as rock or po, which could classify as an actual genre. I know I like worldbeat music like Paul Simon's Graceland, Robert Plant's Lullaby, and Pele Juju's s/t.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2015 19:36
  • Post subject:
It's moments like this where you wish the Poe were around.

I don't really know the origin of the term World Music, but I imagine that it began with record stores attempting to categorize things. They thought it made sense to put music from other countries separate from the American and British records, but since they didn't have enough records to justify separate sections for all of the various countries/genres, they just lumped them all in together and put up a sign that said World Music. And that term has forever stuck.

I think it has less to do with ethnocentricity than it does to laziness or lack of knowledge
  • Visit poster's website
dmercado

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2015 19:59
  • Post subject:
Speaking of "lack of knowledge", does anybody have a good categorization of what would typically fall into "world" music? For example, when I was embarrassingly unaware of the difference between "bleep-bloop" and "wah-wah" electronic music, this website helped explain the differences in house and techno subgenres, etc.

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

I think if there was something similar, preferably visual, for music from the African and Asian continents that would help a lot in getting into and become aware of non-Western music.

My Charts at http://www.besteveralbums.com/usercharts.php?u=27982

My Radio Show at http://www.facebook.com/tender.wmbr
  • Visit poster's website