BYT - G2 - 1992 (Junodog) vs 2012 (revolver)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Choose the team you prefer
Junodog
47%
 47%  [17]
Revolver
52%
 52%  [19]
Total Votes : 36

alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/06/2015 14:53
  • Post subject:
Holy shit, Visions Lonerism and The Idler Wheel?

Yeah 2012 knocks this one out of the park.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/06/2015 15:23
  • Post subject:
2012 gets my vote. Simply caters to my personal taste more. Both teams are great though.
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2015 16:34
  • Post subject:
Both teams are great but 12 wins in the albums department (nice to see Sharon Van Etten)
  • Visit poster's website
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2015 16:34
  • Post subject:
Infinity183 wrote:
As to be expected of a year from the past decade, every single album is indie rock

What? The only two albums that I would even consider mildly Indie Rock are Lonerism and Tramp, and even those are completely different styles with Lonerism being Psychedelic Rock and Tramp being Folk-Rock. Visions is by no means indie rock, nor do I see any resemblance to it. The Idler Wheel is either Art Pop, or Pop-Folk, depending on how you construe it, but I would definitely not call it Indie Rock, and Oshin is jangly Dream-Pop/Light Shoegaze. So I really don't see what you're getting at here.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/06/2015 16:36
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
What? The only two albums that I would even consider mildly Indie Rock are Lonerism and Tramp, and even those are completely different styles with Lonerism being Psychedelic Rock and Tramp being Folk-Rock. Visions is by no means indie rock, nor do I see any resemblance to it. The Idler Wheel is either Art Pop, or Pop-Folk, depending on how you construe it, but I would definitely not call it Indie Rock, and Oshin is jangly Dream-Pop/Light Shoegaze. So I really don't see what you're getting at here.

In all honesty, I would go as far as saying the only 'indie rock' inclusion on the 2012 is that Dum Dum Girls single...
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2015 16:55
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
Also, Defago Laughing I highly suggest keeping the years instead of the users in the poll, to avoid some needless confusion and perhaps, some, um, people voting in these matches for different reasons

i agree with this. it took me a while to even figure out which chart was which.
Infinity183

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2015 19:48
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:

Indie rock is a pretty broad term - I kind of just mean it as independent music in general - and yeah the 2012 albums definitely carry vastly different influences from each other (i.e., Visions is 80s synth pop revival, Lonerism is inspired by 60s and 70s rock), but they all still share the same general 21st century-style artsiness that is typical of indie music and that I just don't like for some reason. I don't know, but there's just something seriously less powerful to me about, say, the Tame Impala record in comparison to something by Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix. Maybe I'm just not versed well enough in the underground music scene of the new millennium (I'm a millennial, but my favorite music is predominantly from the second half of the 20th century, with few exceptions), but all five of the 2012 albums in this battle sound muddy to me for the same general reason, and that just points directly to the art music zeitgeist of the 21st century that I just can't get into. I can understand the artistic merit behind most of them, but that doesn't mean they grab me in the least.
  • Visit poster's website
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2015 19:53
  • Post subject:
Infinity183 wrote:
but they all still share the same general 21st century-style artsiness that is typical of indie music and that I just don't like for some reason.

Do they? All of those albums sound completely different, ie my last post. Are you saying that all 21st century albums all carry this aesthetic that you don't like? Because if so, that baffles me. But to each his/her own.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2015 23:17
  • Post subject:
someone saved their dynamite for today. i'm lookin' at you, '12.
Infinity183

United States

• Posted: 04/07/2015 01:51
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
Do they? All of those albums sound completely different, ie my last post. Are you saying that all 21st century albums all carry this aesthetic that you don't like? Because if so, that baffles me. But to each his/her own.

Well, for one, certainly not the more mainstream stuff, which is also widely worse than its late 20th century counterparts, but I just mean most of what people consider the greatest albums from the 21st century doesn't appeal much to me because it feels like it generally puts art before sound, without achieving both. I've found the occasional indie album that I've actually thoroughly enjoyed, like Neon Bible (which is in my top 25), but the vast bulk of 21st century records don't stand out that much to me.
  • Visit poster's website