Album of the day (#1613): Definitely Maybe by Oasis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
newbands1

• Posted: 05/01/2015 11:03
  • Post subject:
Sort of like Weezer,their first two are great even the b-sides and whatnot.

List here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definitely...14_reissue
  • Visit poster's website
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 05/01/2015 22:50
  • Post subject:
Those two first albums and the B-sides "the Masterplan" are great. They became a huge band and the simply released average stuff. We can see a similar story with Coldplay. I wonder who's the Oasis-Coldplay band from the 10's
dmercado

United States

• Posted: 05/02/2015 05:15
  • Post subject:
meruizh wrote:
Those two first albums and the B-sides "the Masterplan" are great. They became a huge band and the simply released average stuff. We can see a similar story with Coldplay. I wonder who's the Oasis-Coldplay band from the 10's

You're not asking the right question. Coldplay was not Oasis, and neither Coldplay nor Oasis will happen again. If you're looking for British critic and mainstream sweethearts, I would look into Arctic Monkeys, but that brand is becoming more rare.

My Charts at http://www.besteveralbums.com/usercharts.php?u=27982

My Radio Show at http://www.facebook.com/tender.wmbr
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/02/2015 06:50
  • Post subject:
Probably not.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 05/02/2015 06:52
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Probably not.

Laughing
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/02/2015 06:59
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I don't think I'd mind Oasis half as much as I do if I hadn't been taught that they saved rock, or that they were the last bastion of real music.

Coming back to this. Back in '93 I was living in England and of course the whole britpop concept was all over the airwaves, but I had - and still have - the impression what was the matter was not so much about "saving rock" or making "real music" but more about making all these bands up as a proper (I was going to say, improperly, "purely") British response when the two previous years had been full of grunge. What would you reckon? I always thought it was very much a Pride-of-the-Nation sort of thing.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/02/2015 07:48
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Coming back to this. Back in '93 I was living in England and of course the whole britpop concept was all over the airwaves, but I had - and still have - the impression what was the matter was not so much about "saving rock" or making "real music" but more about making all these bands up as a proper (I was going to say, improperly, "purely") British response when the two previous years had been full of grunge. What would you reckon? I always thought it was very much a Pride-of-the-Nation sort of thing.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that at the time they weren't heralded as the saviours of anything, but their story had been written into history by the time I was old enough to take notice, and Oasis were apparently The Beatles and the Sex Pistols rolled into one, the first "proper" rock band since The Clash. Until The Libertines. I don't hate any of those bands, but the narrative is tiring.
decemberhotel

• Posted: 05/02/2015 14:47
  • Post subject:
Great album! But what an overated band.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/02/2015 15:42
  • Post subject:
I didn't exist when this album dropped so I can't comment on the whole britpop movement, but context aside I really enjoy this album, the guitars sound huge and the melodies are strong. It's just no-fuss rock and roll, even if the Gallaghers are nobs about it.

I never understood why this is often overshadowed by Morning Glory. That album only has ten songs if you don't count the pointless 'Untitled' tracks, and of those ten songs half of them really suck. Definitely Maybe has eleven songs that as far as I'm concerned are all solid tunes.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/02/2015 17:20
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

I never understood why this is often overshadowed by Morning Glory. That album only has ten songs if you don't count the pointless 'Untitled' tracks, and of those ten songs half of them really suck. Definitely Maybe has eleven songs that as far as I'm concerned are all solid tunes.

I could go on for pages about this but here's the short version. To me, Definitely Maybe is about embracing being young and stupid. (What's the Story) Morning Glory is the awakening, the first steps into adulthood. I'm still young and stupid, but I'm starting to realize it. It's about whether difficult problems need more than the feigned apathy and machismo that I've used as a crutch throughout adolescence. IMO, the key to the album is "Hey Now".

And obviously I don't think half of the songs on it "really suck."