HazeyTwilight's ULL 2nd Season (Director's Cut)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland
  • Posted: 07/06/2015 16:53
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:
calm doon john green mate

Laughing
shoopadoowop

Canada
  • Posted: 07/06/2015 17:59
  • Post subject:
Cool ULL man, gonna have to listen to some of these.
  • Visit poster's website
CubaZed
  • Posted: 07/06/2015 18:18
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:
calm doon john green mate

HazeyTwilight

Ireland
  • Posted: 07/06/2015 20:15
  • Post subject:
8:37 PM

Aero Flynn by Aero Flynn

Going back to the 2015 releases now. This is an interesting one because it's an album I just added to the site, so I have absolutely no idea what I'm in for when listening to this. I always love adding albums to the database, not because it heightens your reputation to the site, but because most of what you find for yourself is immediate and it's satisfies you knowing that you made the effort of looking, and this album and artist are no exception. However, this album is kind of hard to explain in terms of its genre. I know some of you won't care because music doesn't allow itself to conform under the hands of the artist, but I know some of you would want concrete answers: it's kind of like a mix of dreamy folk (considering that this guy is friends with Bon Iver) and dizzying IDM. So it's kind of like Thom Yorke, but not really. It's not quite as minimal as, say, The Eraser as there's more instrumentation and it has a fuzzier production. A lot of the songs seem to be ascending to some ethereal climax and then just disintegrates. There are some glitchy beats layered onto the album to give it that kind of intrinsic yet inauthentic dance routine. Going back to the production, it really has a knack at making you feel like your at a nightclub inside of broken computer data. This is really unlike anything I've ever heard before in terms of this year. This was a real treat for me and you guys should definitely give this a listen. To the same with any album here in this shameless plug chart!
HazeyTwilight

Ireland
  • Posted: 07/07/2015 11:48
  • Post subject:
Tuesday 7th July

12:30 AM

Can I Go With You To Go Back To My Country by I'lls

Starting off the day with another album I added to the site. An Australian band that call themselves I'lls. Hmm, that's quite an interesting name and should be some kind of indicator of what kind of album this should be. This album is similar to Aero Flynn's s/t but it's more routed more in Ambient Techno (hell, the title sounds like it was lifted straight out of a Boards of Canada dictionary) rather than actual instrumentation, while it does have some guitar loops here and there. It also has a cleaner production and a lot more of a direct focus. But, I've just got to wonder: why are all of these artists trying to sound like Thom Yorke all the time? I mean, he does have interesting stuff, but if you keep this flattering imitation up, you're going to end up as b-sides for his next solo project. Anyway, this album is a short one, clocking in at 22 minutes, but it is a cool little listen if you do try it. I am aware that these guys also have longer albums in their backlog, so I will hopefully check those out later.
HazeyTwilight

Ireland
  • Posted: 07/07/2015 18:40
  • Post subject:
6:40 PM

Jake Xerxes Fussell by Jake Xerxes Fussell

Now I'm getting to the albums that I really should've listened to when they first came out. Honestly, I didn't really see this as an essential 2015 listen for me, but I thought I'd give it a listen anyway. That sounds very contradictory... Anyway, I thought there would be something that I would find interesting. What I got were a collection of nice, inoffensive and intoxicating American folk pub sing-alongs. Filled with pleasant fingerpicking, slide guitars and lyrical passages about country life. They can either be ditties or ballads. And while this may not be the type of folk I would be into - I like my folk music to be solemn and introspective - this is harmless.

7:04 PM

How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful by Flo...he Machine

I fucking adore Florence And The Machine. One of the best artists to get commercial success in recent memory. Didn't catch all of their Glastonbury performance, but from what I saw, they owned the Pyramid Stage with flying colours. I loved their debut; Lungs, the moment I first heard it. It was a mystical, haunting and enthralling experience that I keep returning to after six years of it being released. However, while Ceremonials did have amazing singles and a cerebral production, I felt that was somewhat of a detriment to the album itself. Most of that album felt hollow and felt like it insisted upon the production instead of focusing on writing actual songs. How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful brings us a more stripped down approach, and thankfully it works out for the best for them here. While the album does have additional accompanying instruments to distinguish itself, all the songs encompass a straightforward structure so it doesn't lead the album to become bloated like its predecessor. It's great to see that they can not only be a magical experience that can wow you, but that they can also pull off some excellent songwriting abilities. It may not be as ethereal as Lungs, but I appreciate them switching up their formula, as too much grandiose can be too much. So yeah, I really like this album.
HazeyTwilight

Ireland
  • Posted: 07/07/2015 22:58
  • Post subject:
11:37 PM

Los Sounds De Krauts by Colour Haze

Now let's end this Tuesday night with a first listen of Los Sounds De Krauts and waiting to see the Wednesday sun rise up and consume my soul. I feel like flying through the city of Babylon right now. I'm immersed yet detached from the real world right now. Like I'm experiencing the course of history in time-lapse. I don't feel like being a conventional person with this ULL and to give my actual thoughts on this. I'll keep on gaining and losing another hour of my life to this.
HazeyTwilight

Ireland
  • Posted: 07/08/2015 15:15
  • Post subject:
Wednesday 8th July

3:48 PM

Are You Experienced by The Jimi Hendrix Experience

I guess being in a state of being pseudo-stoned from last nights album kind of lingered into today's session slightly. Going back to an artist who I haven't heard in over a year. One of my friends who's not on BEA (yes I actually have friends) is sort of obsessed with Hendrix and has his technique for songwriting nailed down. He was an amazing guitar player before he took up music theory, and now that he has music theory under his belt, I bet he will be outstanding. But, enough personal life bullshit. The version I'm listening to is the US version, which is so much better than the UK version. The tracks used in the US makes it a more cohesive, trippy and explosive experience. The UK version is alright, but it doesn't have tracks like Purple Haze and The Wind Cries Mary. Plus, the UK version is a little bit tedious to sit through. The US version is more iconic and if you don't listen to it, you're missing out on the full Jimi Hendrix Experience. (ayyyyy) But, to each his own. My opinion on this hasn't changed and it's still a kick-ass album.
pa
as it happens

Italy
  • Posted: 07/08/2015 15:26
  • Post subject:
great Ull Hazey Very Happy
meruizh

Mexico
  • Posted: 07/08/2015 15:52
  • Post subject:
Great ULL man. I wonder how do you listen to music normally? I mention this because you seem to put a hell lot lot of thoughts into each album, or is this mainly because you are making the ULL.

For me, even with a 100% focus on an album, it's really hard to figure out an album on the first listen. I need repeated listens to figure out the intention of the album.