• Post subject:
Vampire Weekend
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/10/2015 22:13
  • Post subject:
LittleM1971 wrote:
Vampire Weekend

unlistenable, i agree. forgot to include "just terrible" in my original list. VW are in tight competition with Grizzly Bear, Bon Iver, and TV on the Radio for shittiest bland indie musicians.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2015 22:46
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
How anyone can hate Marley is beyond me, and especially what he stands for?

Okay, the political things are fine, I guess, but the stoners that love Bob Marley and Sublime are below Juggalos on my hierarchy of the most excruciating music fans.

Anyway, I guess I should put Vampire Weekend in that camp too, though their newest one was able to manage being just mediocre.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 09/10/2015 22:51
  • Post subject:
If all I'd ever heard was Legend I'd fucking despise Marley. Thankfully his pre-'76 work is largely genius.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2015 22:51
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Okay, the political things are fine, I guess, but the stoners that love Bob Marley and Sublime are below Juggalos on my hierarchy of the most excruciating music fans.

It's cool to hate the bullshit Marley fans, but Marley didn't make them like him. He was dead long before that happened.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2015 04:13
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

Sublime seems to be a teenager thing. They were everyone's favorite band in high school but I know almost nobody that listens to them these days, and those that do are the ones whose taste never progressed after high school. I personally can't stand them anymore. It reminds me of the days when I had to buy my weed from the dumbass surfer kids because I didn't have a solid connect around. With that said, Bob Marley is God.

I liked Nirvana until I was like 15 then I hated them until I was like 25. Somehow I like them again but I used to hate the constant whining of the final line over and over again. It's not even a Nirvana thing I just didn't particularly like Cobain. But the fact that I've learned to find value in all music genres means that if your genre is about whining and snarling and you do it well enough I'll eventually respect it. I've actually got to the point where I can enjoy them from time to time.

I love My Bloody Valentine now after a couple years of anger and confusion. It took familiarizing myself with other shoegaze bands to figure out what I was missing.

On the other hand Arcade Fire just doesn't get any easier for me. I mean they're alright, it's not that I can't stand them; they're just very difficult for me to get into.

Truthfully general consensus around here is pretty good, at least on the boards. Sure, there is some stuff overrated on the overall chart by a longshot but I don't think most of those people come to the boards. I think if all the forum members combined to make a top 100 artists list I would love half of them and have never heard of the other half.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2015 04:38
  • Post subject:
oh hey I think that forum chart was done recently http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=24059
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2015 04:57
  • Post subject:
I'm quite familiar with that chart, and I've heard all but 2 of them. It's an album chart, though, not an artist one. And from what I've seen on the "top ten artists" post that list could be weird, if any one artist even gets picked by more than one person. I don't know, perhaps someone feels up to the task of trying to make that one. Maybe not. Sounds interesting.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2015 05:07
  • Post subject:
ahhhhhhhhhh I misread. Yeah that would be cool but definitely a bit harder to organize without the infrastructure.
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2015 05:37
  • Post subject:
I don't think there are any bands or artists I "hate," but definitely many I really don't get.

The White Stripes - White Blood Cells is really good, but I don't like anything outside of that. Maybe a track here or there. Other than that, I'm not a fan.

Vampire Weekend - Granted, I love Modern Vampires of the City. That's one of my very favorite records. Yet, I can list the number of songs by them I legitimately like outside that one album on one hand. "Walcott," "Run," "Oxford Comma." That's it. Sometimes I can get in the mood for "Horchata."

The Beatles - I have nothing against The Beatles, but I never want to listen to them. I will never deny their influence, and I will never argue that they aren't the most important musical act of the last century. The fact of the matter is that their musical proficiency and innovation seldom rouse me. Rubber Soul's all right. Revolver's okay. Please Please Me's a gem. Sgt. Pepper is fine. A Hard Day's Night has its moments. Their importance could never be understated, but I don't really care. Their music mostly does nothing for me.

Beck - He's fine, and he's a tremendously prolific songwriter and producer. He's just not for me.

Big Star - Third/Sister Lovers is pretty good, but #1 Record and Radio City are unlistenable, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Visit poster's website