• Posted: 10/17/2015 19:22
  • Post subject: Re: 88th Academy Awards
Hayden wrote:
Applerill wrote:
Hayden wrote:

I despise Rachel McAdams....

Ur nawt my friend anymore Sad

Laughing

Trust me, I try to support Canadian actors as much as I can, but I just don't understand why people like her... she truly can't act. The only thing I've seen her do remotely well in is About Time. I think her performance in Midnight in Paris actually degrades the movie Laughing

Plus, with her multiple performance cluttering her time this year (Aloha, Everything Will Be Fine, True Detective, Southpaw), I can't see how she'd have time to pull together a strong performance for Spotlight. I dunno, maybe she did, I haven't seen it... but I'm really just not a fan of her.

She made Morning Glory, Hayden, one of the best rom-coms of the decade so far. To dislike is is the movie equivalent of not liking Beyoncé.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/17/2015 19:37
  • Post subject: Re: 88th Academy Awards
Applerill wrote:

She made Morning Glory, Hayden, one of the best rom-coms of the decade so far. To dislike is is the movie equivalent of not liking Beyoncé.

Haven't seen it, so I don't really have an opinion Sad Maybe I'll give it a watch one day, but it doesn't look like something I'd particularly like.

Anyway, I'll definitely have some more solid opinions about the race in a month's time when I've seen a larger handful of the films. While I'm looking forward to it, I still can't make heads or tails of what could be so great about Room. Going to have to wait and see what the hype is about.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/21/2015 16:54
  • Post subject:
Chris Rock is hosting... so much for a duo.

I'm finding it a bit of a boring choice, but whatever. The last time he hosted wasn't particularly memorable. Hopefully he does a good job.
nutso42

• Posted: 10/21/2015 17:21
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Chris Rock is hosting... so much for a duo.

I'm finding it a bit of a boring choice, but whatever. The last time he hosted wasn't particularly memorable. Hopefully he does a good job.

I'm also quite disappointed by this choice, but I'll remain hopeful. At the very least we can hope for a good opening monologue.

Also in answer to your Original/Adapted Screenplay question, I noticed in 1971 (when "The Hospital" won Original Screenplay) the specific name of the category was "Best Writing, Story or Screenplay Based on Factual Material or Material Not Previously Published or Produced".

While much more specific, it's also quite a mouthful, which I assume was the reasoning behind changing it to "Best Original Screenplay".
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/23/2015 14:40
  • Post subject:
http://www.goldderby.com/news/10655/ano...79086.html

My god am I looking forward to this movie. It'd be crazy if it won.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/12/2015 19:11
  • Post subject:
If either Cate or Rooney are pushed out of the best actress category, I'd love to see Lily Tomlin get a nom. I'd also like to see Jason Segel end up getting a nom, but I'm highly doubting that'll happen.

Anyway, considering both of their theatrical releases are on the verge of ending, I'm feeling like Steve Jobs and Bridge of Spies won't be as big at the Oscars as people are anticipating. Despite relatively positive reviews, they don't seem to be getting the support that I'm assuming they expected (especially the later). Even if they got a nomination or two, I don't think either will walk away with a win.

I also think Brooklyn might get written off unfortunately...

Strange year for contention. By this time last year it was quite obvious who would make the final cut, and even win. If The Martian, Joy, Spotlight, Steve Jobs, Bridge of Spies and Black Mass end up being heavy hitters, this is going to be a really bland Academy Awards.

At this point, I'm even sceptical that Carol won't win. It isn't being pushed nearly as much as I figured it'd be. Shame.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/14/2015 16:26
  • Post subject:
http://variety.com/2015/film/awards/gol...201640208/

What's going on with the Golden Globes? Laughing What.

Jason Segal & Alicia Vikander are going lead in the acting categories and The Martian, Joy and The Big Short are going comedy/musical.

I haven't seen any of these films apart from The End of Tour, but surely none of that can be correct? Think
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2015 17:03
  • Post subject:
Sicario, Mad Max, and Ex Machina are easily the best films I've seen this year. But chances are none of the three will be nominated; maybe one will. The Martian and Love and Mercy are good too; Wouldn't mind seeing them get nominated. Still, the Oscars are a long way off, and there are several films we haven't seen yet such as The Revenant, Joy, and The Hateful Eight. We'll have clear picture of the Oscar noms soon enough.
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 12/01/2015 18:47
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Sicario, Mad Max, and Ex Machina are easily the best films I've seen this year. But chances are none of the three will be nominated

I'm banking heavily on Miller getting a Director nomination, even if there's no Picture nom.

Speaking of long shots, I'd be thrilled if Michael B Jordan got a Lead Actor nom.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/02/2015 01:35
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:
I'm banking heavily on Miller getting a Director nomination, even if there's no Picture nom.

Speaking of long shots, I'd be thrilled if Michael B Jordan got a Lead Actor nom.

Paul Dano just got the Gotham Independent award for best actor, even over Michael Shannon, so I think he could possible be a dark horse.

If there's any major surprises, I hope it has something to do with Anomalisa, Son of Saul or Youth. Seeing Géza Röhrig get a best actor nom would be phenomenal. Even Charlotte Rampling getting nominated for 45 Years would be really awesome.

Also, after watching Spotlight, I don't think it'll win. I'm surprised people even consider it the front runner. I still think the fight is between Inside Out x Carol x The Revenant.

EDIT:

Here's the documentary shortlist. The Wolfpack and Montage of Heck were cut.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/...t-20151201

My money's on The Hunting Ground or Going Clear winning. For some reason, I can't see Amy winning anymore.