Swede, Crackle 'n' Pop!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 11/06/2015 21:12
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
dividesbyzero wrote:

EDIT: SON OF A BITCH ROCKY

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

I guess I can forgive you (this time) seeing as you did throw down a pretty dope album (and I am quite looking forward to seeing what Tom has to say about it)

Same same, I'm interested.

Maybe he'll feel generous and do both

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/06/2015 21:40
  • Post subject:
November 6th, 2015

How is life, you ask? WELL. I did just cut my finger open really deep causing huge blood loss (second serious cut i've had in the last few days) and was treated shortly after by the worst meal i've ever cooked: lukewarm chicken, cold tomatoes and some herbs and spices with cold peppa pig tinned pasta (fuck you, you weren't worth the pain).

It could be worse, I mean... what if this

Link

weren't here to cure me? well I don't know what I'd do. Of course, it's SOPHIE's new single L.O.V.E. which appears to be the most divisive single of the bubblegum bass movement. but just let the idea of noise meets bubblegum bass settle in your mind for awhile. not saying that makes it good automatically but at least interesting. well whatever i'm in a bad mood and having trouble typing with this fucking finger and ugh you don't need incoherent ramblings on the vibrating bassy wobbly synths of this song that just have this weirdly enveloping effect on me so bye for the moment
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/08/2015 04:08
  • Post subject:
Nothing to report for the past 2 days. I suck :3
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/09/2015 22:55
  • Post subject:
*puts writing gloves on*

Okay, Swede, time to actually... do something with this

9th November, 2015

Not sure how much I'll listen to tonight, but I'm avidly burning through Sailor Moon and loving it, if you're interested in what I actually do outside of listening to music (and compulsively playing Garry's Mod)

Divide And Exit by Sleaford Mods

So this is all I've listened to today thus far. To say I wasn't expecting much is an understatement, actually what I was expecting was a very, very average listen. And although this didn't completely blow my socks off, I actually found it quite pleasant (e: maybe not the correct word). With being born and raised in Nottingham itself, I felt it almost an obligation to listen to the release that everyone's had their knickers in a twist over since it released; it's probably the most prolific Nottingham release ever since Jake Bugg's debut hit the charts, and I just had to listen to this "Streets go post-punk" band with songs by and for the Nottingham working-class. What I got was actually a much more well-working blend than I expected of gritty, nuanced flows, Nottingham slang-influenced class-challenging lyrics and raw, almost minimalistic drum machines in a synth punk setting with strong basslines and sparse synth melodies. But yeah, what I just wrote makes it sound like I'm mad about this. I'm not. What it does is pretty impressive, but it never really does much for me beyond just being a really tight blend of some interesting aspects. So yeah, Sleaford Mods' Divide and Exit. On paper, a messy mix of things that may or may not work plugged into a milder style; in practice, quite the opposite.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/11/2015 21:19
  • Post subject:
11th November, 2015

Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! by Devo

Okay so I can't say I was going into this thinking "ooh I'm going to really like this", but always gotta try new stuff and all. BUT, this is great. I really suck at writing about things I don't have, like, strong responses about but just know that this style of new wave/art punk is really up my alley and if you wanna give me recs you're more than welcome to!!
Satie

• Posted: 11/11/2015 21:30
  • Post subject:
ah, post-punk. my first love. what did you like about the Devo album? the overall weirdness? the pacing (maybe awkward word choice here)? the hooks? there's always the Devo bootlegs or whatever you wanna call 'em - Hardcore Devo Vols. 1 and 2 for the more intense, arty stuff. if you like just the new wave style and wanna hear it gradually become more and more pop, their next two or three records are good for that, though I'd categorically slam on the brakes by Oh No! It's Devo. some obvious further recs would have to include The B-52's (who if you haven't given a full listen will definitely be a new favorite, as they combine a lot of the good stuff of Devo with stuff that SCREAMS Tom to me), Blondie, and whatever Talking Heads you've not yet checked out. as far as other weird synth-heavy new wave that isn't the kind of darker, gothy stuff, iirc, Deutsche-Amerikanische Freundschaft is sort of along those lines. there's also a slew of Japanese New Wave that I'm a big fan of, but I don't know if I really consider it super similar to Devo's thing.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/11/2015 21:49
  • Post subject:
I just really loved the "weirdness" I guess. It's just an aesthetic I dig, like actually it reminds me of a sorta poppier, Talking Heads-ish James Chance in a way. But less "freaky" obviously.

I've listened to The B-52's self-titled and it's really good and I need to relisten. And I'm yet to listen to a full Blondie album, and I've only heard two Talking Heads (and NEED to get on the rest). As for Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft, I've listened to, and thoroughly I enjoy, Alles Ist Gut. But again probably due for a relisten. Thank you Razz
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/19/2015 23:08
  • Post subject:
19th November, 2015

Hikō-ki Gumo by Yumi Arai

i haven't updated this in awhile but eh i listened to this, it was a really sweet 80s Japanese pop album (note: not J-pop). loved the melodies, the fluttery atmospheres, it was just a real pleasant listen. will be revisiting.

now imagine i wrote that with pure insight and now you're inspired to go give it a listen.
RepoMan

• Posted: 11/20/2015 00:20
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
11th November, 2015

Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! by Devo

Okay so I can't say I was going into this thinking "ooh I'm going to really like this", but always gotta try new stuff and all. BUT, this is great. I really suck at writing about things I don't have, like, strong responses about but just know that this style of new wave/art punk is really up my alley and if you wanna give me recs you're more than welcome to!!

History Of The Units - The Early Years:... The Units

Hardcore Devo: Volume One by Devo

I worship Devo and this is my favorite "album" of theirs.
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 11/20/2015 01:57
  • Post subject:
NEW ONE DIRECTION

LISTEN
  • Visit poster's website