Why so much people attack-Post-Grunge?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 01/07/2016 16:49
  • Post subject:
Post-Grunge is the impact of the influence from Creed, Puddle of Mudd, Bush, and Pearl Jam. I absolutely hate it because I think it is terrible.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 01/07/2016 21:14
  • Post subject:
I think post-grunge is a wide genre that's gone through a few waves. In the first wave of post-grunge in the mid-90s, you had Bush, Live, Collective Soul, Silverchair, Days of the New, Foo Fighters, etc...all of which started out as good bands. Then around 1999-2001, most of those bands had waned out and a new wave sprang up including Creed, Puddle of Mudd, Staind, Fuel, 3 Doors Down, and Nickelback. This wave was considerably weaker. And it only got worse from there. The next wave in the mid-00s was Seether, Three Days Grace, Shinedown, and other bands I probably forgot about.

So when folks attack the genre, they may be only be hating on certain bands. Or maybe they hate them all. Or maybe they call it something different. There doesn't seem to be agreement on this thread on what post-grunge is. But anyway, whatever it's called, I think one the reasons for the hatred is the unoriginality. Also, it's too mainstream for self-identified grunge fans, while it's not mainstream enough for casual listeners. And then are listeners who don't really like grunge, so they want to drop the anvil on the bands that came after who want to sound like them. Who knows?
But I'm with you Toto, I like post-grunge too.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie
  • Posted: 01/07/2016 21:26
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Also, it's too mainstream for self-identified grunge fans, while it's not mainstream enough for casual listeners.

What? Grunge was like the biggest commercial boon in rock music in a decade when it happened. Hardly an underground phenomenon or anti-mainstream. And post-grunge also retained a huge amount of radio play and visibility on the charts.

Personally, I think that post-grunge has a very difficult position. It's the last realm, along with nu-metal, of "real" mainstream, cockrock. With rock as a genre waning in wider relevance and mutating into a more stripped-down, mellow indie rock sound through the '90s or a more androgynous "emo" sound in the '00s after [insert tragedy here involving Nirvana or Pearl Jam], these bands kind of took the helm of the kind of rock music people went to FM radio and VH1 for. As a result, people like Dave Grohl take on Messianic dimensions for Guitar Hero-loving teens and classic rock fans while taking on extreme prig dimensions for people who are tired of a 40 year old going on about how terrible drum machines and synthesizers are. There's a general pretentiousness to a lot of post-grunge and nu-metal, both in interviews and in just general presentation, because they try to recapture the universality of arena rock in an increasingly fractured mainstream pop environment and come off as reactionary. Nickelback's "Rockstar," for example, is laughably saccharine and idolatrous, and its faux-multicultural music video is one of the cringiest things ever made. The savior complex of rock artists now really sinks their image, and the commercial and critical consensus since the mid-2000s after the falls from grace of the last two capital-R capital-B Rock Bands U2 and Green Day has identified that this kind of self-righteousness is not the way to go.

In short, post-grunge felt out of touch, dated, and self-important right out of the gate, because its essence was built on the shaky foundation of classic rock, which had PR disaster after trend-chasing embarrassment over and over through the last three decades. Now sales figures can't even be mustered to resuscitate it, it would seem.
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 01/07/2016 22:35
  • Post subject:
Satie, you make excellent points in your second and third paragraph, but:
Satie wrote:
What? Grunge was like the biggest commercial boon in rock music in a decade when it happened. Hardly an underground phenomenon or anti-mainstream.

Yes grunge was a huge commercial success in the early '90s, but it's underground roots were anti-mainstream. In the mid to late '80s, it sounded like the complete opposite of contemporary mainstream rock (as it was supposed to). Grunge wasn't intended to be mainstream; it just sort of happened. Even after the success of Nevermind, Kurt wanted the next album to be anti-mainstream. There's a song on In Utero called Rape Me for cryin out loud. Anyway, what I meant by
StreetSpirit wrote:
self-identified grunge fans
are the people who really like the underground grunge bands, the ones from the '80s that were never successful outside WA (or perhaps even in WA). I don't think many of those fans would like post-grunge.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie
  • Posted: 01/07/2016 22:39
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Grunge wasn't intended to be mainstream; it just sort of happened.

intentionally or not, the sound was objectively shown to have broad mainstream appeal once marketed and distributed by a competent major label. i don't deny the history or spirit of grunge music, but its sound was obviously very palatable to a wide variety of listeners. your latter point is fair, though, and i should have been more charitable to your comment since i basically knew what you meant.
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 01/08/2016 01:17
  • Post subject:
Satie, it's all good dude. I know you meant no offense and none taken.

But anyway, back on topic. We've stated ideas for why post-grunge has so many haters. But if post-grunge was such a popular genre for so long, obviously it has many loyal listeners. So where are they BEA? I think I have a theory why there are so few on this site, but I want to read someone else's ideas.

Last edited by CA Dreamin on 01/08/2016 01:22; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States
  • Posted: 01/08/2016 01:22
  • Post subject:
I don't care what people say, Rockstar by Nickelback is a great song lol.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States
  • Posted: 01/08/2016 01:33
  • Post subject:
ECUpirate wrote:
I don't care what people say, "Never Again" by Nickelback is a great song lol.

Fixed.

Actually, it's sorta strange, because as annoying as Grohl's 2011 comments were, it was the "Pro Tools" sound that seemed to be both its reaper and savior. At the time, the tinniness and mushiness was what I really hated from it, but now it's almost endearing to me on certain albums. This is almost to an extreme with Metallica's St. Anger.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States
  • Posted: 01/09/2016 03:43
  • Post subject:
ECUpirate wrote:
I don't care what people say, Rockstar by Nickelback is a great song lol.

What do you exactly like about Rockstar? Seriously, because I'm with Satie that it's pretty cringeworthy, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States
  • Posted: 01/09/2016 06:58
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
What do you exactly like about Rockstar? Seriously, because I'm with Satie that it's pretty cringeworthy, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Nothing about the entire song is "cringeworthy" in my opinion. It's just a fun song, I think the lyrics in particular are interesting enough. I don't find it hard on the ears at all.

When I think of "cringeworthy", I think of something hard to listen to. In my opinion that would be something like Florida Georgia Line, Kraftwerk, or Kid Cudi's new album. Granted of course music is very subjective, and I am by no means a Nickelback fan, however I don't think their music is typically hard to sit through if I happen to hear it somewhere, especially not Rockstar.
  • Visit poster's website