I'm old now and am finding it hard to love new artists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kool Keith Sweat
  • Posted: 01/11/2016 02:43
  • Post subject:
Yes, I find I typically call a musician a favorite if I like more than one song from them. It's the best you can do in the dying days of the album, when there are no longer Great artists in the top 40.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States
  • Posted: 01/11/2016 02:45
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Yes, I find I typically call a musician a favorite if I like more than one song from them. It's the best you can do in the dying days of the album, when there are no Great artists in the top 40.

hahaha, ok so I'm not alone.
  • Visit poster's website
Decurso

Canada
  • Posted: 01/11/2016 03:02
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I guess that's my point/question to all of you... are these artists your suggesting or the artists in your 2015 lists or whatever artists you love, or is it on your list because they have a few songs you like and could go the rest of your life not really listening to the rest of the album?

I'm all about the albums...although half the artist on my 2015 list I discovered through live performances. So I became a fan of the bands first...then the albums.

Live Albums

Death Metal
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 01/11/2016 03:14
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Thanks StreetSpirit, are these artists you're suggesting artists you love, or because they have a few songs you like and could go the rest of your life not really listening to the rest of the album?
I've listened to both Dead Sara albums and the debut Wolf Alice album, and unfortunately they're more like the latter. I totally love both bands' singles, but their singles are the standout tracks on their albums. Their album tracks are okay, but not very memorable. For me anyway. Who knows, you might listen to them and be blown away. That's what's interesting about music.
sethmadsen wrote:
What I am afraid of is not being able to appreciate new ARTISTS. There's a song or two that a new artist will release, but then I check out the album and I'm like, eh, that's ok.
Yeah I've been through that too.
Satie
  • Posted: 01/11/2016 05:10
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I guess that's my point/question to all of you... are these artists you're suggesting or the artists in your 2015 lists or whatever artists you love, or is it on your list because they have a few songs you like and could go the rest of your life not really listening to the rest of the album?

i much prefer the artists I know and love who released music in 2015 to virtually all other pop artists since the jazz era. they've finally caught up to the academic geniuses of the 20th century in my view. the "album" format has admittedly been replaced by the DJ mix format, but all i see that as meaning is that an actual indisputably long-form work has once again triumphed over the loose collection of sketches released together for commercial and critical validation.

sethmadsen wrote:
I mean Royal Blood I dig, but then I realized that's just old rock ideas rehashed.

if your criterion is that new artists innovate within rock, there are many newER artists i could recommend who do just that, but if your criterion is that new artists follow the trends and artistic parameters that allowed for U2, R.E.M., and Nirvana, you will obviously be disappointed. the commercial/critical hype machine has moved, so artists who require a certain amount of myth ('cause let's admit it, pop music works just as much on myth and sociology if not more so than musicality) are in short supply in the rock world. i see this issue widely for rock fans who don't like other genres and complain about the new crop - they don't want to explore too deep, because Bandcamp obscurities lack the sheen of their idols, but they aren't satisfied with the surface, because it doesn't live up to the (alleged) quality of those past giants. if someone were to trump Royal Trux at completely fucking up rock music, they would be provocateurs. rock's navel-gazing elite would see to it that they were skewered, and the average rock fan has no interest in such racket. if someone were to make incredible rock music that followed in the footsteps of any major or nearly major artist of the last 60 years, they'd be viewed as a ripoff by cynics. in short: if you want new rock music in 2015, you're in luck. if you want new, good, culturally sensational, and musically daring rock music in 2015, you're fighting a huge uphill battle. what new territory is left to explore in rock music that still exists within the realm of respectability?
RoundTheBend

United States
  • Posted: 01/11/2016 05:32
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
i much prefer the artists I know and love who released music in 2015 to virtually all other pop artists since the jazz era. they've finally caught up to the academic geniuses of the 20th century in my view. the "album" format has admittedly been replaced by the DJ mix format, but all i see that as meaning is that an actual indisputably long-form work has once again triumphed over the loose collection of sketches released together for commercial and critical validation.

if your criterion is that new artists innovate within rock, there are many newER artists i could recommend who do just that, but if your criterion is that new artists follow the trends and artistic parameters that allowed for U2, R.E.M., and Nirvana, you will obviously be disappointed. the commercial/critical hype machine has moved, so artists who require a certain amount of myth ('cause let's admit it, pop music works just as much on myth and sociology if not more so than musicality) are in short supply in the rock world. i see this issue widely for rock fans who don't like other genres and complain about the new crop - they don't want to explore too deep, because Bandcamp obscurities lack the sheen of their idols, but they aren't satisfied with the surface, because it doesn't live up to the (alleged) quality of those past giants. if someone were to trump Royal Trux at completely fucking up rock music, they would be provocateurs. rock's navel-gazing elite would see to it that they were skewered, and the average rock fan has no interest in such racket. if someone were to make incredible rock music that followed in the footsteps of any major or nearly major artist of the last 60 years, they'd be viewed as a ripoff by cynics. in short: if you want new rock music in 2015, you're in luck. if you want new, good, culturally sensational, and musically daring rock music in 2015, you're fighting a huge uphill battle. what new territory is left to explore in rock music that still exists within the realm of respectability?

Very well assessed. It's very true. As a matter of fact, as much as I appreciated Ben's list to listen to, I realized that because it was stuff suggested because I liked other bands/artists, I almost immediately associated it with that band and then said, well, I don't really need another band very similar to the band/artist I already love, so why would I invest time into this new band... I wonder if I hadn't had that association if I wouldn't have had a different reaction. I know, I'm a terrible human being for saying that, but at least I'm being honest.

Hey even my crappy rock band is on bandcamp!

http://trytrytry1.bandcamp.com/album/try-try-try-ep

Also I'll have to check out your lists to see what your loving from 2015 that I'm missing out on and see if I am just that sad person I wish I never would have become, hahahha.
  • Visit poster's website
Umbrella
  • Posted: 01/11/2016 06:29
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Kinda... I mean I'm passionate about the stuff I already know. If you take a look at my charts, you can tell I am not the person that just heard something on the radio or a friend was listening to it so I thought it'd be cool to start listening to it. I'm not that type of person. I'm a musician (not by trade) and have been playing bass almost 20 years, so music is definitely NOT a fickle background noise.

What I am afraid of is not being able to appreciate new ARTISTS. There's a song or two that a new artist will release, but then I check out the album and I'm like, eh, that's ok.

I have yet to fall in love with an ARTIST that can stand up to artists I love that broke into the scene within the last three to five years. New albums, from artists I've always loved, sure. But when I look at the top ten of 2014 and 2015 charts, I can't really get into some of that stuff. Not sure why.

Having said that maybe you're right.

it is ok to get old and die i think, but alot of people get old and insult the new things because they dont like it anymore. it is good your not like that.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 01/11/2016 09:43
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Kinda... I mean I'm passionate about the stuff I already know. If you take a look at my charts, you can tell I am not the person that just heard something on the radio or a friend was listening to it so I thought it'd be cool to start listening to it. I'm not that type of person. I'm a musician (not by trade) and have been playing bass almost 20 years, so music is definitely NOT a fickle background noise.

I have yet to fall in love with an ARTIST that can stand up to artists I love that broke into the scene within the last three to five years. New albums, from artists I've always loved, sure. But when I look at the top ten of 2014 and 2015 charts, I can't really get into some of that stuff. Not sure why.

Having said that maybe you're right.

No disrespect meant, but if you asked me to look at your chart and base an opinion it wouldn't be too favorable (it wouldn't be particularly negative, either). It might just be one of those moments where my quasi-elitism comes out to play, but it feels like a pretty standard taste spectrum that is commonplace. It's definitely more "esoteric" than someone who only listens to music as background noise and listens to pop singles exclusively, but compared to some more developed charts it doesn't seem like the most passionate music listening spectrum.

That aside, I think what it may be for you is you don't know where to look or start with some newer music (since the amount of records released a year is ridiculously huge compared to say when we were growing up). I could tailor some suggestions if you'd like.

Quote:
I almost immediately associated it with that band and then said, well, I don't really need another band very similar to the band/artist I already love, so why would I invest time into this new band...

This is a bad way of looking at things and will only limit your musical enjoyment. You like REM, well how about this other jangle pop band? NOPE TOO MUCH LIKE REM. It's frankly, ridiculous and counter-productive.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 01/11/2016 12:21
  • Post subject:
I only listen to Adele and Mumford & Sons on my walkmen
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States
  • Posted: 01/12/2016 05:15
  • Post subject: